Number of cars with renewed COEs hit high of 41,777

awhtc

26 minutes ago, Roh96 said:

Shouldn't it be the reverse? When COE is low buy new one, when COE is high renew. I dont know.

just like stock mkt.. cheap all scare to buy.. when going up.. chased as scare lose out..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

29 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

It's only in S'pore that when parts of a car is due for replacement, people say it's time to change car, rather than replace the worn out part.

Honestly, cars are good to go for 20 years , given S'pore's good road condition.

On renewing COE, in the current climate, it costs about $37K (PQP + PARF forgone) to drive a renewed COE car for another 10 yrs, excluding road tax surcharge and higher maintenance costs.

Dealers are taking in almost 10 yr old bread and butter 1.6l cars and selling them with 10 yrs renewed COE at $50K. Or with 5 year COE renewals at $30K. Definitely not worth the buy at $5K annual dep for a decade old car.

Another school of thought is to get a BRAND NEW budget car like Hyundai Accent, Mitsubishi Attrage, Perodua Bezza / MYVI, which will set you back by about $5,500 in annual dep or just about an additional $1,500 annually over a COE renewed car (assuming you renew your own car COE, not buy from dealer at $50K). This only works out well if you get a budget new car.

Your saying is definitely selective. How many 20yo cars are we seeing running on our roads? It's a selective few brand and models which can do that. Can you say that for eg on a French car? I dont see any 20yo French made car still running.

If you are driving a CatB car now I dont think you would want to choose a brand new entry B&B car as your next. That's what I'm thinking. 

Your comments cannot be applied as a general as a whole especially when not all cars can continue running for another 10 years. I will still want to look at what ppl are currently driving that make them want to renew coe. Maybe their target is out of budget for now and they renew their current car's coe to tahan a couple of more years before committing to a new car of on their wishlist. 

What used car dealers is doing it's more or less a free market. They dont work on charity and it's a business they are running. Nobody point a gun at their customers. Plus there's no regulatory body to govern how much they should profit. Nothing we can do for the moment.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Maybe their target is out of budget for now and they renew their current car's coe to tahan a couple of more years before committing to a new car of on their wishlist. 

agreed loh.. if one got buying power who cares COE how high? if all think abt being thrifty then economy die liao..

Look at the waiting list for Rolex Root Beer.. just a watch BUT how long the list..

anyway he very cute oso lah.. talk talk talk then buy NEW! 😂 

4 minutes ago, Beregond said:

Any statistics  to show the  numbers of renewal for each model of cars?

errr... don say model.. Brand maybe not available..

I guessing Jap Brand such as the favorite starting with T and H one loh.. then model be like starting with A, V, C, J etc.. occasionally may see Suzuki for their swift (my son driving one COE renewed).. Not say continental not reliable BUT the PARF rebate simply too high to forego..   

So even with number oso don paint a complete/relevant pictures

Edited by Ody_2004
  • Praise 1

27 minutes ago, Ody_2004 said:

errr... don say model.. Brand maybe not available..

I guessing Jap Brand such as the favorite starting with T and H one loh.. then model be like starting with A, V, C, J etc.. occasionally may see Suzuki for their swift (my son driving one COE renewed).. Not say continental not reliable BUT the PARF rebate simply too high to forego..   

So even with number oso don paint a complete/relevant pictures

I am seeing a lot of 2008, 2009 C180.

With a newly renewed COE for 10yrs, yearly depreciation is $6k+.

Cheaper than many new B & B car.  Excluding maintenance. 

Many can 1st time owned a Merc.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Not 100% true. You are assuming everyone takes the 5yr Coe till the end.

anyway just go See LTA stats. High quota numbers doesn’t always mean low prices. 2016-2018 had a huge number of registrations. Easily 80k/yr. easily higher than 2024 projected numbers(2014 new reg was 28k and 2019 5yr coe was 20k) why won’t 2026-2028 be lower based on quota number.  

Because of LCR.

4 hours ago, Roh96 said:

Shouldn't it be the reverse? When COE is low buy new one, when COE is high renew. I dont know.

More like when AD margin is high renew when AD margin low then buy new. Keep paper value. Dun be 🥕🥕🥕

New car loan can add $1k+ to depre so 2ndhand car will always make some sense... and COE car moreso. 10+ yrs ago can buy a nice cat B conti car in the $120-130k range... now forget it

• Praise 1

On 2/14/2020 at 10:15 PM, Volvobrick said:

Great to save the earth! Most of our 10 year old cars have more than 50% useful lifespan to go. 

The govt will have to increase GST, petrol duties etc to make up the revenue shortfall from ARF.... 

more than that, there are also 20% excise tax and 7% GST, plus VES if any....

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

more than that, there are also 20% excise tax and 7% GST, plus VES if any....

They `eat' your parf.... that makes up for their loss of duties and taxes.

they not stupid.

47 minutes ago, Old-driver said:

They `eat' your parf.... that makes up for their loss of duties and taxes.

they not stupid.

Only forgo 50% of ARF at 10 year. They will be short of 50%, plus 20% duties.... etc .. And tax on dealers' profits. 

• Praise 1