Budget 2020: Encouraging Use of More Environmentally Friendly Vehicles

Carbon82

7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

EU legislator give car manufacturer 30 years to move out of ICE car mah.  Some cities in Europe ban ICE car from entering city centre.

Diesel cars started since the days of Karl Benz la.  More than 100 years.

CNG nvr take off in EU.

Car manufacturer always move slowly unless there is new kid on the block or govt force them to change.

30 years is a long time, and we all know that. If anyone is serious about anything, what the hell is taking them 30 years to get it fix? 

Banning ICE cars from entering city centres, ppl just park somewhere nearby and take the subway in lor, how much impact can it do? 

OK i correct what I said earlier about diesel cars, I meant to say clean diesel like euro4, euro5 standards. And ppl were are singing praises about how clean diesel can be. 

I think part of the reason CNG did not kick off in EU is also because of the development of clean diesel.  EU was trying to protect diesel back then I guess.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 minute ago, Tianmo said:

30 years is a long time, and we all know that. If anyone is serious about anything, what the hell is taking them 30 years to get it fix? 

Banning ICE cars from entering city centres, ppl just park somewhere nearby and take the subway in lor, how much impact can it do? 

OK i correct what I said earlier about diesel cars, I meant to say clean diesel like euro4, euro5 standards. And ppl were are singing praises about how clean diesel can be. 

I think part of the reason CNG did not kick off in EU is also because of the development of clean diesel.  EU was trying to protect diesel back then I guess.[laugh][laugh][laugh]

Currently, sales of EV in EU is not high.  It takes time to change consumer behaviour.  Maybe European needs 30 years to change.  Unlike PRC.

I use diesel pickup regularly.  Don't have much smoke.  The problem with diesel is diesel soots which may trigger asthma in Children.

With diesel, i don't know how transport industry going to survive.

• Praise 1

Till date to me, full EV is still not an effective and realistic proposition for SG. Unless every lot is equipped with a charger which means i dont have to fret waking up in the middle of the night to unplug and shift the car for another owner to charge theirs on the limited shared charger. I dont have to fret queuing up to charge my car not knowing if i am able to get my turn to charge it up for next day. I dont have to fret not able to drive away in 5 mins when it ran out of juice. I would think petrol-hybrid would be the best stopgap for the next 5-10years till the charging infra is fully built up.  

• Praise 2

Dont make any sense... They should be giving rewards to existing car owners with old cars maybe 10 years and above to replace it with a new electric car with their existing COE with no tax.

Electric Vehicles will go the way of Diesel Vehicles.

Govt slowly keep adding & increasing excise duty to diesel, and now the price diff between diesel and 95RON petrol is only $0.30/litre, or $15 for a full tank.

Assume you pump a tankful weekly, that's an annual savings of $720 on diesel, but you pay an extra $470 in diesel tax annually (comparing a 1.5 litre petrol & diesel car), which reduces the savings to a mere $250 annually.

And diesel cars cost more to purchase.

• Praise 2

3 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Govt slowly keep adding & increasing excise duty to diesel, and now the price diff between diesel and 95RON petrol is only $0.30/litre, or $15 for a full tank.

Assume you pump a tankful weekly, that's an annual savings of $720 on diesel, but you pay an extra $470 in diesel tax annually (comparing a 1.5 litre petrol & diesel car), which reduces the savings to a mere $250 annually.

Still saving of $250/annum

5 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

But diesel gives better mileage so you may pump once every two weeks instead of weekly.

This EV early adoptive incentive stacks with VES? Or replace the VES?

If can stack could reduce ARF more compare to now.  If not, this policy sound like tax and not incentive. .

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

I have bicycle & skate scooters at home waiting for the days of CAR LITE.

U got PMD or not?

And a black mask to go w that...

I suppose the ITE students syllabus for the vehicle engineering group has been upgraded to have Hyundai and Toyota as well as TESLA cars to be made available to help take the industry forward ?

With Toyota plant available in Thailand and Hyundai Plant in Vietnam, the cost of having the students attached to the plants to get hands on build experience will help shape them and be better prepared for the industry revolution just like the aeronautical industry.

50 minutes ago, Vinceng said:

Diesel gives you significantly more mileage and big torque o/p from idle onwards.. 

Twice the mileage of the same reg gasoline powered model. The savings can be substantial if you have those mid to full size SUVs...  SUVs with small NA engines will be a waste of time, diesel is required for these machines... and these machines are the in thing now. 

1 hour ago, Xers007 said:

Till date to me, full EV is still not an effective and realistic proposition for SG. Unless every lot is equipped with a charger which means i dont have to fret waking up in the middle of the night to unplug and shift the car for another owner to charge theirs on the limited shared charger. I dont have to fret queuing up to charge my car not knowing if i am able to get my turn to charge it up for next day. I dont have to fret not able to drive away in 5 mins when it ran out of juice. I would think petrol-hybrid would be the best stopgap for the next 5-10years till the charging infra is fully built up.  

sg govt better build a charging point every 1m on both the causeway and tuas 2nd link to and from jb....

and also every rest stop and hotel in malaysia

😅

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Goldenvodka said:

Dont make any sense... They should be giving rewards to existing car owners with old cars maybe 10 years and above to replace it with a new electric car with their existing COE with no tax.

The whole idea was to discourage people from owning cars. If people die die want car, must buy "clean" cars. 

I'll not be surprised after this they U Turn and say EVs need to be tax for the carbon footprint caused by providing recharge. Or battery disposal tax.. 

55 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

I suppose the ITE students syllabus for the vehicle engineering group has been upgraded to have Hyundai and Toyota as well as TESLA cars to be made available to help take the industry forward ?

With Toyota plant available in Thailand and Hyundai Plant in Vietnam, the cost of having the students attached to the plants to get hands on build experience will help shape them and be better prepared for the industry revolution just like the aeronautical industry.

I don’t think either plant built any EV yet.

↡ Advertisement