Budget 2020: Encouraging Use of More Environmentally Friendly Vehicles

Carbon82

Hmmm......now that SG going the EV way, Dyson may revive it's electric car project in Sg

Maybe that'll take over Vezel & C180 as our national car

↡ Advertisement

4 hours ago, Cheefarn said:

I've said it b4 and I will say it again. Full EV vehicle doesn't make you friend of mother earth. You are just passing the pollution quotient from your own car to our power station. Our power stations will need to work double or triple hard when all cars are full EV. And unless SG adopts nuclear power stations, we will pollute the earth way more if every vehicle in SG goes full electric. 

And no one can give me any clear explanation what will happen to your EV when your batt dies. And how env friendly are those spent batt be when they go to the rubbish dump? 

And how will u guys charge your EV when you are in some kampong area in Bolehland? Or what's preventing you from being mugged and robbed when your lone EV is being charged at some remote charging stations in some unsafe neighborhood? 

Rem even with a 70-80L gas tank, it takes ard 5-6 mins to refuel from empty. Is there any DC charger out there that can charge at least 80% from empty in similar time? Every min delay at the remote charging facility in the middle of the night exposes you to more risks of getting mugged. 

You either charge at home or at work and SG is not really very big lah. Who will wait while the battery is being charged? That is not the value proposition.  It is also not a car you drive to KL due to range anxiety.

ICE has a thermal efficiency rate of 20-30% while SG power plants have thermal efficiency that are easily doubled that. You will burn less fossil fuel and reduce carbon footprint (Assuming the battery don't add to it but don't think anyone here knows the maths).

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Voodooman said:

You either charge at home or at work and SG is not really very big lah. Who will wait while the battery is being charged? That is not the value proposition.  It is also not a car you drive to KL due to range anxiety.

ICE has a thermal efficiency rate of 20-30% while SG power plants have thermal efficiency that are easily doubled that. You will burn less fossil fuel and reduce carbon footprint (Assuming the battery don't add to it but don't think anyone here knows the maths).

Yeah .. at the end of 10 years, there is a huge burden to replacement and dispose of the battery responsibly 

• Praise 1

18 hours ago, inlinesix said:

I don’t think either plant built any EV yet.

but sooner or later, it's an inevitable pathway...

I still feel that hydrogen engine would be the wave of the future.

But recent development like Porsche spider seems to see great advances in the gain in performance.

Edited by Sdf4786k

all those schemes is fundamentally flawed as the dealers just mark up the price of the margin.

At the end of the day, sound like we have not learned our lesson on who actually benefits, be it VES or new EV scheme. Buyer don't really benefit.

A safer bet would be a tax rebate scheme into the income tax.

That way, its definitely going to the buyer and not another avenue for dealers to see how to adjust the prices of the margin to earn. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

but sooner or later, it's an inevitable pathway...

I still feel that hydrogen engine would be the wave of the future.

But recent development like Porsche spider seems to see great advances in the gain in performance.

BMW launched 7 series hydrogen more than 10 years ago. 
Don’t know what happens after that 

23 hours ago, Knoobie said:

The whole idea was to discourage people from owning cars. If people die die want car, must buy "clean" cars. 

I'll not be surprised after this they U Turn and say EVs need to be tax for the carbon footprint caused by providing recharge. Or battery disposal tax.. 

yawn.... you actually believe it?

if less and less people actually buy cars... how to cover the 1B in taxes from vehicles and get it from other sources?

I believe otherwise, in that they want people to own cars, but use it minimally or tax the hell out of it when you use it except during unearthly hours.

they already made it crystal clear than losing revenue via leakage from fuel tax is a big no no. 1st was half tank rule, then 3/4 tank rule and then tax diesel and include it in to the 3/4 tank rule and now tax on EV to compensate.

Edited by Mkl22

Neutral Newbie

Seems like with the current objective of the govt and their policies, for now if anyone still wants to buy a vehicle just go and whack petrol/diesel(big SUVs etc.). 20years later if the vehicle got any problem, will be just in time to change it. 20years before the implementation still quite a long time to go. Currently incentives to get an EV is still quite pathetic compared to initial cost 

• Praise 1

48 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

yawn.... you actually believe it?

if less and less people actually buy cars... how to cover the 1B in taxes from vehicles and get it from other sources?

I believe otherwise, in that they want people to own cars, but use it minimally or tax the hell out of it when you use it except during unearthly hours.

they already made it crystal clear than losing revenue via leakage from fuel tax is a big no no. 1st was half tank rule, then 3/4 tank rule and then tax diesel and include it in to the 3/4 tank rule and now tax on EV to compensate.

did you read my whole post or just my first sentence...

pretty sure i already covered how EV will be taxed potentially to recover the loss

It is actually quite interesting how HK adopted the EV scheme much earlier than us but till now, charging stations are still the major concern there. Some of the articles are old but still gold, SG might have used HK's model as reference or other countries by implementing tax rebates/early adoption schemes etc. 

Only time will tell whether this will go down the drain just like diesel/cng. End of the day, if the infrastructure ain't there, people ain't gonna buy it. Just look at the news about how there was a long queue for the Tesla superchargers during the festive period in the States. 

Let's also not forget the amount of $$ govt will lose from petrol by promoting EV and I remember reading an article about how it is not that environmental friendly to dispose of the electrical vehicles. Ourselves slapping ourselves left right centre, bloody joke. 

https://blog.moneysmart.sg/transportation/why-isnt-lta-making-it-easier-to-drive-an-electric-car-in-singapore/

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/lta-relooking-case-of-tesla-electric-car-slapped-with-15000-carbon-surcharge

https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/southeast-asia/article/3023835/singapore-hits-back-elon-musk-saying-electric-cars-are

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/economy/article/2131964/has-hong-kong-pulled-plug-electric-cars

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/transport/article/2184343/hong-kongs-electric-car-trade-scheme-gets-boost-why-didnt

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

all those schemes is fundamentally flawed as the dealers just mark up the price of the margin.

At the end of the day, sound like we have not learned our lesson on who actually benefits, be it VES or new EV scheme. Buyer don't really benefit.

That way, its definitely going to the buyer and not another avenue for dealers to see how to adjust the prices of the margin to earn. 

Is not flawed. They obviously knew it and designed it this way. Since when our governments schemes are "more beneficial" to the consumer without enticing more for the companies.

• Praise 2

21 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Yup. Govt assume dealers price car according to cost... i think cos their scholar took A level econs and someone told them something abt "perfect competition". Actually Sg AD scene is oligopoly with just a few big players. Cost have almost nothing to do with pricing (for a clue look at the ridiculous wide range of dealer margins on new car). If govt rly believe that still then they should also be srsly investigating collusion and price fixing

If not then they shld acknowledge their scheme is flawed since it assumes cost reduction directly go to consumer

Edited by yishunite
  • Praise 1

On 2/19/2020 at 7:25 AM, RadX said:

eh i think i dead fart by then🙃

U not come back for judgement day meh? :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1