Mirrorlink vs Apple CarPlay vs Android Auto.

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Mirrorlink vs Apple CarPlay vs Android Auto.

when it comes to a car stereo, the today standards will be smartphone integration and connectivity. So for those who are upgrading their stereo aka headunit, here's are some stuff you need keep a lookout for.

Mirrorlink.

th?id=OIP.JH8i9lrVqzRwFQ69R8v_EQHaE8%26p

MirrorLink is a device interoperability standard that offers integration between a smartphone and a car's infotainment system. MirrorLink transforms smartphones into automotive application platforms where apps are hosted and run on the smartphone while drivers and passengers interact with them through the steering wheel controls, dashboard buttons and touch screens of their car's In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) system.[1]

MirrorLink utilizes a set of well-established, non-proprietary technologies such as IP, USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Real-Time Protocol (RTP, for audio) and Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).[2] In addition, MirrorLink uses Virtual Network Computing (VNC) as the baseline protocol to display the user interface of the smartphone applications on the infotainment system screens and to communicate user input back to the mobile device.

You can think of this like a google Chromecast. The primary function is to mirror your phone content to the stereo.

The adoption of this technology is somehow mixed. Both the stereo and the phone manufacturer must incorporate the mirrorlink technology before it can be used. So if your stereo has mirrorlink, but your phone doesn't have. It cannot connect.

But the good thing is that you can access almost all the apps you have on your phone to the stereo.

Apple CarPlay

th?id=OIP.gxWAiruT0YrjgnMP5RsqLwHaEs%26p

CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your iPhone while you drive. And now with an all‑new CarPlay Dashboard that helps you with tunes, turns, and Siri suggestions, a Calendar app that lets you view and manage your day, and maps that reveal more of what’s around you, getting there just got a whole lot easier. And a lot more fun.

CarPlay features Siri voice control and is specially designed for driving scenarios. CarPlay also works with your car’s controls — knobs, buttons, touchpad, or touchscreen. And the apps themselves have been reimagined for the car, so you can use them while your eyes and hands stay where they belong.

It prioritises safety when driving, so if the app inside the phone means distraction for you, Apple CarPlay will not feature it inside your stereo. So the function is limited.

And yes. you need an apple iPhone to have apple carplay. Your stereo must also have licensed the apple carplay then it will pair.

Look out for this logo when you are shopping for a stereo

th?id=OIP.ABVSY1fPkSDijiAFXPKidwHaDF%26p

Android Auto

android-auto-logo-custom.jpg?t=148070403

When there is ying, there is yang. Android auto is the answer to apple carplay for andriod.

Android Auto is a mobile app developed by Google to mirror features from an Android device, such as a smartphone, to a car's compatible in-dash information and entertainment head unit.

Once an Android device is paired with the head unit, the system mirrors qualified apps from the device to the vehicle's display, with a simple, driver-friendly user interface. Supported apps include GPS mapping/navigation, music playback, SMS, telephone, and web search. The system supports both touchscreen and button-controlled head unit displays, although hands-free operation through voice commands is encouraged to minimize driving distraction.

They also prioritize distraction for driver. They minimise your usage of the phone and focus on the apps that you will be using when driving.

I personally prefer the android UI. But sadly, I am an iPhone user.

Hope this is helpful!

↡ Advertisement

I have both an Android phone and an iphone. 

I seriously like the Apple carplay any time. Android auto didnt give me a good experience. When I first plug in the screen already tell me to go to settings. I had to go home and Google to find out what to do with the settings. The 2nd time it ask me to update my Android auto...when the update wasnt even available yet. I only succeed on the 3rd try which needles to say was disappointing. It does let you do much on the touchscreen. It wants you to use voice. Overall I find it less intuitive compared to Apple.

For Apple Carplay it's awesome on the first try and every time I use it even when it has been updated. Siri is great too. I totally dont need to touch anything when it comes to incoming messaging or calling someone.

But when it comes to competition nothing comes close to these 2 systems. And they are committed to continually update the operating system regardless of what device you use old or new. You dont see other device doing that at no extra cost.

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I personally prefer the android UI. But sadly, I am an iPhone user.

Hope this is helpful!

oh yes. I have both. Wifey die hard iphone and me die hard android [laugh]

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

I have both an Android phone and an iphone. 

I seriously like the Apple carplay any time. Android auto didnt give me a good experience. When I first plug in the screen already tell me to go to settings. I had to go home and Google to find out what to do with the settings. The 2nd time it ask me to update my Android auto...when the update wasnt even available yet. I only succeed on the 3rd try which needles to say was disappointing. It does let you do much on the touchscreen. It wants you to use voice. Overall I find it less intuitive compared to Apple.

For Apple Carplay it's awesome on the first try and every time I use it even when it has been updated. Siri is great too. I totally dont need to touch anything when it comes to incoming messaging or calling someone.

But when it comes to competition nothing comes close to these 2 systems. And they are committed to continually update the operating system regardless of what device you use old or new. You dont see other device doing that at no extra cost.

I am upgrading my OE headunit to the Sony XAV AX200 that comes with Apple carplay and android auto. I will also share my feedback when I have installed. Now waiting for my speaker from amazon. hahaha.

6 minutes ago, DreamyLucid said:

Sorry to hijack this thread. Is there like a dedicated thread on Apple CarPlay so far? I cannot seem to find. I do see a lot of Android Auto though.

I don't remember seeing any. Apple carplay is very stable and hardly any major issues, almost foolproof,  so nobody has to talk about it. 

Android Auto on the other hand is quite hopelessly hopeless, so you get more ppl asking for help. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, DreamyLucid said:

Sorry to hijack this thread. Is there like a dedicated thread on Apple CarPlay so far? I cannot seem to find. I do see a lot of Android Auto though.

What do you need to know? 

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

You are aware you can toggle this for a couple of different views/layout?

2067959074_androidauto.jpg.75cdba184714e6193f01b79fe800f22f.jpg

Oh idk...too intimidating, don't dare to youch yet. 😀

On 2/9/2023 at 8:33 AM, badlammy said:

Change UI all of a sudden.

20230209_081439.jpg

This is the "Coolwalk" every AA users is dreaming and expecting it. It is based on Google backend server switch and not the Google or AA app versions. Mine suddenly switched last Dec end. Too bad Waze does not support split screen yet. Am using Google maps daily now. 

Edited by Wormee
↡ Advertisement