Fuel Pump

Goldenvodka

Vehicle is having some issues with engine turning over when in a up hill slope. So far it did not happen on a flat surface.

Engine is able to start. However within 1 second it chokes and stall.

Found a temp solution to resolve this issue for the time being.

1) Keys to on position ( wait for 5-10seconds) after the buzzing sound is gone

By the way. The buzzing sound was present since the first day I collected the car

2) Start the engine

The above steps resolve the issue for the time being.

I am starting to suspect fuel pump is going to give way or fuel fliter is choked.

There is no vacume leak in the car and all the electronics system seems to be fine. No error code yet.

Edited by Goldenvodka
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Goldenvodka said:

Vehicle is having some issues with engine turning over when in a up hill slope. So far it did not happen on a flat surface.

Engine is able to start. However within 1 second it chokes and stall.

Found a temp solution to resolve this issue for the time being.

1) Keys to on position ( wait for 5-10seconds) after the buzzing sound is gone

By the way. The buzzing sound was present since the first day I collected the car

2) Start the engine

The above steps resolve the issue for the time being.

I am starting to suspect fuel pump is going to give way or fuel fliter is choked.

There is no vacume leak in the car and all the electronics system seems to be fine. No error code yet.

You should go and get your fuel pump to replace before it fails you halfway when you drive. It happens it to me when I am driving to KL.

Not fun at all.

• Praise 5

fuel pumps are nested in the bottom of the tank, unless you run your tank dry, they should be able to supply fuel along the lines.  seems like a pump issue as you described and I would also check the filter and the ignition coils as well.

Try cleaning your MAF or mass airflow sensor first. Sometimes by replacing the MAF sensor it will do the trick, especially for old cars.

If fuel pump got problem usually got sound coming from the pump itself. If no sound means it's fine.

When was the last time you replace your spark plugs?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Mass airflow sensor is new

spark plug and ignition coil set was changed less than 20000km ago.

as for putting the car in “on” position for 5 10 seconds before cranking it helps to push the problematic fuel pump to supply some fuel to the engine before starting it. This is what I read from Google. 

without any vacume leak/air issues I seriously suspect the next to go is either fuel pump or it’s a choked filter and both components cost a bomb to replace them 😞

Edited by Goldenvodka

2 hours ago, Goldenvodka said:

Mass airflow sensor is new

spark plug and ignition coil set was changed less than 20000km ago.

as for putting the car in “on” position for 5 10 seconds before cranking it helps to push the problematic fuel pump to supply some fuel to the engine before starting it. This is what I read from Google. 

without any vacume leak/air issues I seriously suspect the next to go is either fuel pump or it’s a choked filter and both components cost a bomb to replace them 😞

How old is your car ?

I have stalled issue on my previous ride - Kia Carens 2L.

a) OCV valve choked.  CVVT cannot switch cam probably.  Moving off stall.  Moving off and steering guaranteed stall.  No OBD code.  Don't have to iverhual engine, just pull out and clean.

b) Engine choking when high speed.  It turn out that the fuel pump assembly connecting the pipe is loose.  Use a 50cts water hose tightener solve it.  OBD error, engine running too lean error.  Before, I actually change the fuel pump and fuel filter, problem still persist lor.  

27 minutes ago, Apple-Tree said:

How old is your car ?

I have stalled issue on my previous ride - Kia Carens 2L.

a) OCV valve choked.  CVVT cannot switch cam probably.  Moving off stall.  Moving off and steering guaranteed stall.  No OBD code.  Don't have to iverhual engine, just pull out and clean.

b) Engine choking when high speed.  It turn out that the fuel pump assembly connecting the pipe is loose.  Use a 50cts water hose tightener solve it.  OBD error, engine running too lean error.  Before, I actually change the fuel pump and fuel filter, problem still persist lor.  

11 years old. About 150 000KM millage

18 hours ago, Goldenvodka said:

11 years old. About 150 000KM millage

Last time my Wish at about 12 yr old mileage maybe 120-130K, fuel pump conked off. couldn't start engine at all...

Had to tow to workshop to replace...

5 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Last time my Wish at about 12 yr old mileage maybe 120-130K, fuel pump conked off. couldn't start engine at all...

Had to tow to workshop to replace...

Any signs before it totally died out?

5 hours ago, Goldenvodka said:

Any signs before it totally died out?

Not that we know of... 

but my wife is the normal driver of the car, and my father was going to drive it that morning when it didn't start...

On 2/22/2020 at 5:29 PM, Goldenvodka said:

OCV looks to be too complicated from my DIY skills to fix it 

Maybe you want to try changing the filter first.

But many cars has the filter in the fuel tank and it is part of the pump assembly. Hence, usually both are changed.  

• Praise 2

19 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

Maybe you want to try changing the filter first.

But many cars has the filter in the fuel tank and it is part of the pump assembly. Hence, usually both are changed.  

Yup it has to be changed in a set and it cost more than 1K

3 hours ago, Goldenvodka said:

Yup it has to be changed in a set and it cost more than 1K

A bit ex.  The assembly is only a plastic housing with changeable filter and pump.

I ever did that my self. I spend about $250 for pump, filter and Fuel level sensor from Korea.

▒ Item: SENDER ASSY-FUEL PUMP

▒ Part no: 944601D000

▒ Order no: 1410210019  ▒ Option

▒ Price: 15.9 USD  = S
  = 1

▒ Qty: 1

▒ Sum: 15.9 USD

▒ Point: 0.2 pt(USD)

▒ Item: PUMP ASSY-FUEL

▒ Part no: 311111G500

▒ Price: 119.6 USD  = S
  = 180

▒ Sum: 119.6 USD

▒ Point: 1.2 pt(USD)

▒ Item: FILTER-FUEL

▒ Part no: 319102H000

▒ Price: 35.0 USD  = S
  = 180

▒ Sum: 35.0 USD

▒ Point: 0.4 pt(USD)

▒ Shipping cost: 7.9 USD

▒ Total: 178.4 USD

▒ Total point: 1.8 pt(USD)

2016 price.  Now also about the same price.  Just check. Save $750 ....... heeeee.  Can whole family eat ramen 10 times..... I love cheap cheap things.....

www.koraps.com

• Praise 1

Just sent my vehicle to the workshop 

today afternoon it took 3 tries to start. Vehicle is able to crack however unable to turn over.

Without delays I drove it to straight to the workshop 

Workshop is also unable to get any trouble code from computer 

no choice but to leave it there for further checks.

At the workshop, the trouble seems to be gone. Vehicle is able to start at the first try every time.

Air sensors filters and all maintenance wear and tear parts has all been checked and it’s in good condition.

Edited by Goldenvodka
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
19 minutes ago, Goldenvodka said:

Just sent my vehicle to the workshop 

today afternoon it took 3 tries to start. Vehicle is able to crack however unable to turn over.

Without delays I drove it to straight to the workshop 

Workshop is also unable to get any trouble code from computer 

no choice but to leave it there for further checks.

At the workshop, the trouble seems to be gone. Vehicle is able to start at the first try every time.

Air sensors filters and all maintenance wear and tear parts has all been checked and it’s in good condition.

The "problem" scare of your workshop or scare you burn your wallet. 🤣