SPH to buy 5 aged care assets in Japan for 5.26b yen

Internal Moderator

SPH to buy 5 aged care assets in Japan for 5.26b yen

source: https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/companies-markets/sph-to-buy-5-aged-care-assets-in-japan-for-526b-yen

photo%20-%20Common%20area.jpg?itok=WD7dS

SINGAPORE Press Holdings (SPH) will acquire five aged care assets in Japan for a total of 5.26 billion yen (S$65.8 million).

Two of its special purpose vehicles have entered into sale and purchase agreements for the acquisition, said the media and property group, which publishes The Business Times, in a bourse filing shortly after midnight on Monday.

The deal is part of SPH’s strategy of investing in aged care and healthcare assets, and expanding its business footprint in markets with fast-ageing populations.

Three of the properties are in Hokkaido, one is in Nara in the Osaka Metropolitan Region, while the fifth is in Tokyo.

With a total capacity of 365 beds, the properties offer seniors independent living services including community-based activities, transport, laundry, meals and care services.

SPH said it will disclose further details of the acquisition upon completion of the deal.

Ng Yat Chung, chief executive officer (CEO) of SPH, said: “We continue to seek opportunities to expand our aged care business overseas.”

“This acquisition is in line with our strategy of growing our recurring income base through the acquisition of cash yielding assets in defensive sectors.”

The acquisition is part of SPH’s partnership with Japanese real estate asset manager Bridge C Capital in October 2019 to set up a fund focused on investing in aged care and healthcare assets such as senior housing, nursing homes and medical office buildings in Japan.

Asset management fees will be generated as part of the fund, eventually adding to the recurring income stream from the assets, SPH said.

The five properties in Japan will continue to be managed by their current operators on long-term master leases averaging 23.4 years.

Anthony Tan, deputy CEO of SPH, said the move builds on the group’s acquisition of Singapore nursing home operator Orange Valley in 2017.

The aged care industry is set for continued growth in countries with fast-ageing populations like Singapore and Japan, Mr Tan said.

The purchase price of 5.26 billion yen will be paid fully in cash and funded through internal and external resources.

The deal is expected to complete by March 2020.

SPH shares closed flat at S$2.01 on Friday.

I think is a good buy. Since Japan is an aging society. 🧐

↡ Advertisement

Internal Moderator
35 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

he saying the sph ceo look like NK leader lol

OHHHHH! hahahhaha.

th?id=OIP.66Z-E8Ht0XsPuGOuU9GHsQAAAA%26p

Okay, this hairstyle got some resemblance. hahahha.

• Haha! 2

I'm wondering if this is the right time to be doing this. 

Not to sound callous, but the elderly are especially susceptible to COVID-19. And assisted living facilities with many of them living in close quarters will be at high risk of adverse events, which can lead to closure to protect the other elders.

Internal Moderator
12 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

I'm wondering if this is the right time to be doing this. 

Not to sound callous, but the elderly are especially susceptible to COVID-19. And assisted living facilities with many of them living in close quarters will be at high risk of adverse events, which can lead to closure to protect the other elders.

Hmmm. You are right on some points. However, the issue that you point out may or may not happen. It is very situational kind of scenario mah. I think they are thinking about long term instead of the current burning issues.

I never buy SPH stocks. Haha. so nvm lah. 😅

• Haha! 2

On 2/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, kobayashiGT said:

Hmmm. You are right on some points. However, the issue that you point out may or may not happen. It is very situational kind of scenario mah. I think they are thinking about long term instead of the current burning issues.

Same. I won’t touch any company that has NYC as CEO.

rather burn my money in cars :grin: 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 2/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, kobayashiGT said:

I got buy before. Sold off long time ago at more than 4 bucks after seeing we have sgcarmart, propertyguru and monster.com....

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

I got buy before. Sold off long time ago at more than 4 bucks after seeing we have sgcarmart, propertyguru and monster.com....

hahaha. those were the days....