Living with stage 4 cancer: a father and daughter’s story

Atrecord

Living with stage 4 cancer: a father and daughter’s story

Just received this today, and was very touched and inspired by this true story.

Nadya Ang grew up with a father who was battling cancer. Her father, Ang Kok Huan, was an officer with the Singapore Armed Forces when he was diagnosed with stage four nose cancer, which would relapse nine times over eight years. He was 29. 

During these years, Kok Huan channelled his focus on his wife and his baby daughter. As cancer took its toll, he eventually quit his job and became Nadya’s primary caregiver. The two looked after each other: Nadya gave Kok Huan a sense of purpose, and in turn, she gave him emotional support even as a young child. Throughout the interview, he repeatedly mentioned that it was Nadya who gave him strength. 

Mr Ang is now cancer-free and the CEO of JCG Investment Holdings. He and Nadya remain exceptionally close, and though she is currently overseas for her studies, the pair speak frequently on the phone. This isn’t just a story about surviving cancer: it’s a story about the love between a father and daughter. 

Above is the excerpt. If you have 20 min to spare, it's a very inspiring and touching read of how a younge man's world (almost) collapsed on him during his prime, but battled back to overcome the illness, and live his live - differently from what he originally intended but still a journey that he cherished. Now recovered and successful, he's living a full life now. Click the link above to read the whole article.

Thought this worth sharing with all here. In particular, those who are fighting similar illness, or if you know anyone in that situation, can take inspiration from this. @Lala81

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 27

Full respect.  Resilience and family support.  Kudos to him and the girl will be an awesome clinican

Truly inspiring

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

A fighter, not just fighting to survive but to live life to its fullest. 

His daughter is just like him, strong backbones.

So matured in understanding at her age then. I like the part where she shared in class that she needed to be quiet at home so her dad can rest as he has cancer. She was only four.

Thanks for sharing. Humbling. He had 9 relapses. Most mortals would have given up, me included.

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 8

5 hours ago, PSP415 said:

A fighter, not just fighting to survive but to live life to its fullest. 

His daughter is just like him, strong backbones.

So matured in understanding at her age then. I like the part where she shared in class that she needed to be quiet at home so her dad can rest as he has cancer. She was only four.

Thanks for sharing. Humbling. He had 9 relapses. Most mortals would have given up, me included.

Safe ride 

Cheers

I remember seeing a clip circulated via whatsapp of a young girl about 2-3 year old taking care of an ill mother who was bed-bound. Very pitiful but it's from China, so is still quite distant (and also can't be absolutely sure of its authencity).

But this is much 'nearer', and i can really feel for both of them.

Almost brought a tear to my eyes when reading it...

• Praise 3

Thanks for sharing such inspirational story...

As some bro may know, my youngest son was diagnosed with Wilms Tumor 4 years back... after 4 long years of battle, I am sad to inform the little warrior has passed on 3 days ago, at age 7plus... we were devastated... like a million knife stabbing us... hurt like hell.... it's like a bad dream... was hoping we woke up from it and my kiddo is still there....  we really miss him deeply... 

• Praise 2
  • Sad 18

1 hour ago, Nlatio said:

As some bro may know, my youngest son was diagnosed with Wilms Tumor 4 years back... after 4 long years of battle, I am sad to inform the little warrior has passed on 3 days ago, at age 7plus... we were devastated... like a million knife stabbing us... hurt like hell.... it's like a bad dream... was hoping we woke up from it and my kiddo is still there....  we really miss him deeply... 

Sincere condolences and sad to know of your loss, bro.

Remembered your sharing periodically and had felt then he was such a brave young child. 

May you and loved ones find peace in the midst of your grief. 

In a sad time like this, words may sound hollow and useless.

Yet, i hope you will take care and be strong. Cherish loved ones who still care and need you now. 

May his memories only bring you smiles and a thankful heart that you are one lucky dad to have had him to love for past 7 plus years.

Keep well. God's peace and strength be upon you.

😔

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Nlatio said:

Take care brother, I'm sure he's looking down from heaven smiling and telling you that he loves you 🙂

• Praise 3

7 hours ago, Nlatio said:

Oh bro... Really sad to hear this! 

Time will heal all wounds. Stay strong for your older son! 

For now, grieve bah... Tomorrow is another day. 

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Nlatio said:

Take care. Dont think too much. Remember to rest. My sincere condolences.

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Nlatio said:

My condolences to your family. Really need to stay strong and take care. 

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, Nlatio said:

Condolences to you and the family bro.

It was a long drawn battle as how you shared with us.  Here's wishing you would heal in the weeks to come as it is not going to be easy.

I am sure your boy is in a better place now, free of pain.

My best to you and all at home

• Praise 2

13 hours ago, Nlatio said:

Deepest condolences.

Your son is in heaven looking forward to meet u again. He is in a better place with no pain, only joy n peace. Whatever that is taken from u shall be restored to u. May peace be with u and your family. 

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, Nlatio said:

Deepest condolences. Stay strong pal as your family is still in need for your support.

I can feel for you but think of it this way, your son can finally be freed from pain and suffering, and he is now in a better place.

Your lovely son would not want to see his dad and mum crying for him everyday. Show your son that you can move on and he shall smile in the other world and move on as well.

I believe most, if not all MCF members here are willing to lend their support for you. Just pm us if you need any form of assistance.

Take care.

• Praise 10

15 hours ago, Nlatio said:

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. My condolences. Please take care. 

Edited by Mason016
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2