BB's first Bali trip amidst COVID-19 scare

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Hi all. This is a question I've been asked by a couple of you who are concerned about your upcoming holiday trip - whether you should postpone your trip or not. I'm aware there's another thread regarding flight cancellations but I'll start this one here to share more about my FIRST Bali trip and in particular UBUD! This will include itineraries and tour operators! But I'll update slowly as I've just returned to work and have emails and work to clear.

We'll talk about the Changi Airport situation first. 

- I had a 5am flight. Took a Grab to the airport with my friend. Driver wore a mask, but was coughing! He was really friendly to help with our luggage though. Wished him well when we alighted.

- Inside Terminal 1 (flight was Jetstar), about 50% (my estimation could be wrong) of the people wearing masks, this is comparatively higher to the heartlands where it's about 30%-40% wearing masks?

- Auto-dispense Sanitizers (sensor type) readily available at the auto check-in counters. Everything was normal except we exceeded our 15kg sole check in luggage by 5kg (it was 20kg). Spent the next 30 mins trying to unpack and repack to 15kg. What a bummer.

- Immigration, thermal scans. Few people sitting behind the thermal scanners/monitors watching you as you make your way towards immigration. For me, it was also my first time using the iris and facial ID for immigration clearance on my new passport. Times like these, it's also much more hygienic than thumbprint scan.

After we cleared immigration, it was pretty much normal. Normal in the sense you can feel the seriousness in the air (virus scare) but at the same time, everything is normal but you take extra precautions. You see more people masking up, you see people using hand sanitizers proactively etc. 4am shops closed, nothing much to do. For me personally, I masked up just before boarding the plane. Flight to Bali was about 70% filled. You see empty seats here and there. Air crew didn't wear masks. Tough job. Huge respect to them!

On the plane

I refrained from touching anything onboard the plane other than the seat belts and the window shades when it got too sunny. I would sanitize my hands after each time. Used to like to go through the inflight magazines as well to kill time, didn't do it this time. What surprised me was the number of Caucasians wearing masks. In Singapore, you see lots of ang mohs tourists not masking up but in the airport, a good percentage of them actually masked up. It may or may not be effective against the virus but I guess we're just doing it for peace of mind, even if it's just a false sense of security. Whatever floats your boat you get what I mean? We're also handed a declaration form regarding the COVID-19. This is required by the Indonesian immigration. Basically to state if you've been to China for the past 14 days.

Landing in Bali

Never expected the Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport to be this big and modern! Again, thermal scans just before immigration, and also you have to hand in the COVID-19 declaration form, and in return you're given a COVID-19 paper. I see it as declaring us as COVID-19 free? Lol. The way I see it, the checks being done felt the same as Changi Airport. I don't see Singapore as being more stringent or anything like that. Heard immigration officers asking another Singaporean if she's been to China. Apparently she was there for a holiday in December but left in January 22nd or something like that. He asked her things like why were you there, etc. Think he cleared her in the end.

So yeah that's about the experience at Changi, onboard the plane and Bali airport.

Medications I bought for the trip

I have sinus every morning and also I catch a cold quite easily on a flight. Didn't wanna be mistaken for having COVID-19 symptoms so I bought medications.

- Afrin Nasal Spray ( I use at least 2 hours before the flight)

- Zyrtec-R (Take 2 hours before flight)

- Panadol Sinus Max

- Panadol Cough & Cold

- Berocca

- VapoDrops (Just in case my sinus acts up mid flight)

- Panadols

- Kool Fever Cooling Gel Sheets for adults

- Mozzie coils

- Insect repellent

- Mozzie patch

- Ru Yi You (my middle name is lao sai queen)

So I went on this trip fully aware Bali could already have infections. We all know Zero is impossible. But at the same time, already booked so it's a bit wasted if cancel right? Besides you can catch the virus in Singapore too. It's just a number game and to do with probability. You can only try to practice good hygiene as much as possible and as much as we can remember.

Gonna continue with the Bali itinerary later. Back to work!

TOTAL MASKS USED FOR THIS ENTIRE 5 DAYS TRIP - 2! (One for plane to Bali, one for plane ride back to SG)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, RH1667 said:

Stay safe and enjoy the trip.

Go bali must wear " bee-ki-knee" one 😂

I'm already back from Bali! Now pray don't fall sick la!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Just now, BabyBlade said:

I'm already back from Bali! Now pray don't fall sick la!

hahah...yah indo v safe one...no case

• Haha! 5

Please post peektures of you wearing proper PPE, i.e. mask.

And nothing else.

OK lah, beekeenee can.

For educational purposes only. 😁

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 8

I think by now very few ppl will have mask left to wear. Maybe keep some really for emergency. It's just not sustainable when everywhere no stock. Ang moh smart what. Out in the open dont wear. Only wear in confined area with many ppl around like in a plane.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

Stay safe and enjoy the trip.

Go bali must wear " bee-ki-knee" one 😂

Sounds like Babyblade packed 20kg worth of bigini...

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I think by now very few ppl will have mask left to wear. Maybe keep some really for emergency. It's just not sustainable when everywhere no stock. Ang moh smart what. Out in the open dont wear. Only wear in confined area with many ppl around like in a plane.

I burnt 2 masks for this entire trip. Changi Airport to Bali 1, Bali to Changi Airport 1. Other than that, nah.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

42 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I burnt 2 masks for this entire trip. Changi Airport to Bali 1, Bali to Changi Airport 1. Other than that, nah.

Good that you have gone to Bali and back to sg safely without falling sick during your trip. So now you have to monitor yourself for 14 days?! Lol. So you so brave did not wear any mask in Bali at all ah? :o

Internal Moderator
4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Good that you have gone to Bali and back to sg safely without falling sick during your trip. So now you have to monitor yourself for 14 days?! Lol. So you so brave did not wear any mask in Bali at all ah? :o

Yes gotta monitor my health for the next few weeks. I am of the opinion that if I use masks on a daily basis, Ill be out of masks when the real need calls for it (outbreak worsens). Ill only use masks in a confined space with other strangers esp other nationalities. Airplane is a good example. We rented bikes over there for our daily transport so that minimises the risk of taking public transport. We also did 2 tour activities will update that when I have time. 

Do you wear a mask in Singapore? I don't wear a mask in Singapore so I didn't see a need to do so in Indonesia, other than the airports and planes.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
14 minutes ago, Strat said:

How's the crowd in Bali? still a lot of people?

My first trip to Bali so not sure of the crowd situation. But looks pretty normal for a rainy season? Lots of Caucasians. Lots of Koreans. Some Japs. Never come across any China Chinese the entire duration I'm there. 

Internal Moderator
11 minutes ago, Buadongdong said:

Mossie coils?? you go outfield camping ah? :grin:

Stayed in a villa. Lots of insects and mozzies. 1 coil for each night lol. Also some of the restaurants lots of mozzies. Spammed repellent and mozzie patch. 

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Stayed in a villa. Lots of insects and mozzies. 1 coil for each night lol. Also some of the restaurants lots of mozzies. Spammed repellent and mozzie patch. 

You bring your own mozzie coil and burned them when you go to restaurants? Villa no aircon ah?

• Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

Yes gotta monitor my health for the next few weeks. I am of the opinion that if I use masks on a daily basis, Ill be out of masks when the real need calls for it (outbreak worsens). Ill only use masks in a confined space with other strangers esp other nationalities. Airplane is a good example. We rented bikes over there for our daily transport so that minimises the risk of taking public transport. We also did 2 tour activities will update that when I have time. 

Do you wear a mask in Singapore? I don't wear a mask in Singapore so I didn't see a need to do so in Indonesia, other than the airports and planes.

I have go to Bali before. So bikes can take you around? Not far to cycle and safe to cycle also?

I dont wear a mask in sg cause i have sensitive nose problem, the mask would give me allergy if i wear a mask for long period. :wacko:

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I have go to Bali before. So bikes can take you around? Not far to cycle and safe to cycle also?

I dont wear a mask in sg cause i have sensitive nose problem, the mask would give me allergy if i wear a mask for long period. :wacko:

Cycle? I don't mean bicycles. I meant motorcycles. Yes a bike can take you around. Motorbike. Cycle? No I don't cycle. My legs will die. 

Bike is a decent mode of transportation. Beats the jam. But too bad if it rains, esp during the rainy season which is now. But only ride a bike if you have the license to do so. 

I only stayed in Ubud so it was good enough with a bike. Bike with an engine ah. Not bicycle ah. Haha. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5