Private Ambulance on Lane 1

sinistral

Wah maybe all those private buses/Hiaces on left lane during bus lane operating hours also need to kana inspection see if they carrying passengers hor?

If carry zero passenger, cannot use bus lane.

Then those red plates running around on daytime, also need to kana road stop to check if they paid the day pass?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, sinistral said:

Thanks. This is the type of information I am looking for.

s4RkNag.png

This is lifted directly from the BTT on TP's website. I have no qualms about giving way to emergency vehicles, because that is the only right thing to do.

My question is about private ambulances that is probably not attending to any emergency, because there was no sirens or blinkers on. FYI, I did filter left and let the ambulance pass. What was observed is that the ambulance continued to tailgate the cars that were infront of me previously. It was heavy traffic on PIE in the late morning as well. Quite astounded by the presumption from the earlier replies.

Basically, it doesn't matter how fast you're going (relative to the speed limit) or what sort of vehicle is coming up behind you. If it's closing fast or already close behind you, then it's obvious it wants to go faster, so either go faster or get off the fast lane after signalling left! 

It's that simple. You're an inconsiderate and selfish driver if you act any other way. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 3

13 hours ago, sinistral said:

While it is gracious to filter left or give way to allow any ambulances with sirens blaring to rush to their destination on lane 1, what would you do if you encounter a private ambulance without any blinkers/sirens on and is tailgating you on Lane 1?

Is there a loophole somewhere that allows private ambulance drivers to cruise on Lane 1? Feels like there is some sort of 'entitlement' for them to use Lane 1 even when there is no blinkers/sirens.

It is possible that you are driving too slow and road hogging.  Try to be more considerate if possible.

• Praise 1

14 hours ago, sinistral said:

While it is gracious to filter left or give way to allow any ambulances with sirens blaring to rush to their destination on lane 1, what would you do if you encounter a private ambulance without any blinkers/sirens on and is tailgating you on Lane 1?

Is there a loophole somewhere that allows private ambulance drivers to cruise on Lane 1? Feels like there is some sort of 'entitlement' for them to use Lane 1 even when there is no blinkers/sirens.

It's an ambulance. Just give the benefit of doubt and give way. Will not die wan. Why wanna dig out black and white to justify if you can hog the lane?

Hearsay they need to get permission to on siren. But if they never switch it on doesn't mean it is not an emergency, at least to the person waiting for medical help. If one day you break your leg at home. I'm sure you hope that help will come asap and not wait 60mins for the ambulance to arrive because some bugger refuses to give way on the expressway.

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 1

6 hours ago, Apple-Tree said:

It is possible that you are driving too slow and road hogging.  Try to be more considerate if possible.

And here's where all the arguments begin. Road hogs will argue that they can't be hogging if they're at the speed limit of the road. Someone else will argue that the limit doesn't matter, consideration is key. Road hogs will argue no, the law is key. And some other person will argue that they are not police to enforce speeding. And road hogs will argue they hope the other person's relative/friend/pet etc. etc. will get run over by a speedster they condoned... 

...and so on and on. 

This is really a never ending argument. I've realised I can't convince anyone to move over because it's not so much lack of knowledge that they're blocking others, but simple wilful bloody-mindedness. And no amount of gentle cajoling or harsh haranguing will cure that, in fact it tends to harden the resolve of those so inclined. It's easiest and least confrontational to signal and undertake via the middle/left lane and move on with one's life.

I regret my last post - not the words - but the futility of it.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 4

44 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

And here's where all the arguments begin. Road hogs will argue that they can't be hogging if they're at the speed limit of the road. Someone else will argue that the limit doesn't matter, consideration is key. Road hogs will argue no, the law is key. And some other person will argue that they are not police to enforce speeding. And road hogs will argue they hope the other person's relative/friend/pet etc. etc. will get run over by a speedster they condoned... 

...and so on and on. 

This is really a never ending argument. I've realised I can't convince anyone to move over because it's not so much lack of knowledge that they're blocking others, but simple wilful bloody-mindedness. And no amount of gentle cajoling or harsh haranguing will cure that, in fact it tends to harden the resolve of those so inclined. It's easiest and least confrontational to signal and undertake via the middle/left lane and move on with one's life.

Yup. Agree totally with u especially on the futility part.

The last time i posted to keep left unless overtaking, someone said how to do that if there is a traffic jam.🤪 

And yup the "i am keeping to speed limit so i can stay on 1st lane all the way regardless. The buggers behind me can just jolly well undertake me, from the left." 😳🤭

Road hogs will one day realise there is such a thing as someone really needing to attend to a life n death situation on board and a few seconds of filtering out to allow fast n safe passage can mean a life being saved.

Or its just simply being considerate to give way but perhaps all their lives, they think it is a weakness or felt its like being bullied if one is kind or considerate. 

All sorts of road users. These think the roads are theirs only. No sharing. I pay road tax one.😁

Like many others, I will just give way and my face did not fall off nor did my ride choked and died.

The kayu drivers who hog extreme right lane and then when need to filter out to take extreme left exit? They think EVERYONE must give way to them now. When people dun, they force their way in, cutting across 3 lanes at once. 😅

Empty between ears🤯.

😂😂 just my tots.

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

...and so on and on. 

Be the change you wish to see. I religiously indicate every single lane change and would like to think it influences others around me to do the same - cars that didn’t previously indicate lane changes start using their indicators. Coincidence? Maybe. But in the same way one can be the bigger person and start from yourself by moving over and letting someone else past without pre-judging if they were entitled to you giving way to them.

(Indicating has also saved me from several incidents where I nearly collided with cars and motorbikers in my blind spot if it weren’t for my indicators giving notice to them)

• Praise 5

17 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Be the change you wish to see. I religiously indicate every single lane change and would like to think it influences others around me to do the same - cars that didn’t previously indicate lane changes start using their indicators. Coincidence? Maybe. But in the same way one can be the bigger person and start from yourself by moving over and letting someone else past without pre-judging if they were entitled to you giving way to them.

(Indicating has also saved me from several incidents where I nearly collided with cars and motorbikers in my blind spot if it weren’t for my indicators giving notice to them)

Same as you, I always indicate my intentions ahead of time. That's why if chagrins me when I see someone making the same tired old jibe about BMW drivers not indicating, because I indicate without fail when driving my BMW.

Anyway, I get your broader point; the thing is, I don't think the folks doing the hogging are really the type to learn by mimicry. They hardly even respond to reinforcement. I doubt anything we do to imbue by example is going to get through to these special souls. 

• Praise 1

23 hours ago, sinistral said:

Just drive faster or give way. This is the rule for lane 1 regardless of whether it is ambulance, car or bike tailgate you behind. 

Agreed with the general consensus that it's futile to "argue" with road hoggers. I just undertake them instead. Here in SG, road hogging isn't policed by TP, and neither is undertaking.

For ambulances, we should give way all the time. Even if there's no one inside, they might need to rush back to the hospital to get ready for their next call.

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, Jellandross said:

Scientific curiosity - every time I give way on lane 1, my organ will shorten by how much ah? 

Should be -1 cm, I think.

The more gracious you are, the longer the organ is.

19 hours ago, Stratovarius said:

It's an ambulance. Just give the benefit of doubt and give way. Will not die wan. Why wanna dig out black and white to justify if you can hog the lane?

Hearsay they need to get permission to on siren. But if they never switch it on doesn't mean it is not an emergency, at least to the person waiting for medical help. If one day you break your leg at home. I'm sure you hope that help will come asap and not wait 60mins for the ambulance to arrive because some bugger refuses to give way on the expressway.

first time hear need to ask permission to on siren

any health care workers here?

is that true? so who is the one that give permission ? 

Turbocharged
23 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Be gracious and let the ambulance pass lah.

And then faster get in behind the ambulance and stay there.

Can reach faster lah.

Kindness begets kindness.

:grin:

The wise man has spoken.

• Haha! 1

I've actually followed a pvt ambulance on 1 occasion last year accidentally. Followed him from CTE>SLE>BKE exit Bkt Panjang. This is during peak traffic.

At CTE turn on his blinkers. SLE turned off his blinkers. BKE turned on his blinkers again.

Followed him till neighbourhood estate and there goes. A family of 5 exiting the vehicle all well and smiling.

I've submitted the video to the authorities but never heard from them ever since.

• Shocked 2
  • Haha! 2

(edited)
On 2/29/2020 at 12:37 AM, sinistral said:

May be the ambulance needs to deliver medical equipment or blood to another hospital, though there may not be patient on-board. I would give way.

Edited by Billcoke

no matter if its ambulance or what, just give way if others are faster than you. period. There are more and more road hogger on the 1st lane recently. Quite alot with ego, when you high beam them, they purposely drive even slower and test brake. Got once, onespeed up when i try to overtake by the left.

Dun understand what these road hoggers are thinking.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2