Private Ambulance on Lane 1

sinistral

14 hours ago, Jellandross said:

Scientific curiosity - every time I give way on lane 1, my organ will shorten by how much ah? 

Won't be shortened lah but only reduce in circumference!🤣

↡ Advertisement

There are some interesting replies which I appreciate.

I have submitted the same query to the authorities, and I am hopeful they will provide a nonprejudical response.

1 hour ago, Detion said:

no matter if its ambulance or what, just give way if others are faster than you. period. There are more and more road hogger on the 1st lane recently. Quite alot with ego, when you high beam them, they purposely drive even slower and test brake. Got once, onespeed up when i try to overtake by the left.

Dun understand what these road hoggers are thinking.

They are not thinking.

• Haha! 2

(edited)
2 hours ago, sinistral said:

I have submitted the same query to the authorities, and I am hopeful they will provide a 

Deleted

Edited by Unfazed

6 hours ago, Billcoke said:

May be the ambulance needs to deliver medical equipment or blood to another hospital, though there may not be patient on-board. I would give way.

I think it's rare.  But it can happen 

6 hours ago, UncleAtas said:

I've actually followed a pvt ambulance on 1 occasion last year accidentally. Followed him from CTE>SLE>BKE exit Bkt Panjang. This is during peak traffic.

At CTE turn on his blinkers. SLE turned off his blinkers. BKE turned on his blinkers again.

Followed him till neighbourhood estate and there goes. A family of 5 exiting the vehicle all well and smiling.

I've submitted the video to the authorities but never heard from them ever since.

You need to know what a private ambulance is for.

1)  they can convey a patient to a private hospital.

2)  they can convey patient from home to a govt hosptial of their choice -> it might be an emergency but if I stay in changi and I believe NUH is the best, you call private ambulance cos emergency ambulances send to nearest govt hospital ane. 

3) they convey patient from home to govt hospital BUT not emergency.  Example?  For follow up checks and patient requires wheelchair/oxygen and taxi is not suitable

4)  the reverse is true.  They can send patient FROM the hospital to their homes in situations where taxis are not suitable.  So you MIGHT have seen this case where the family look happy but its cos they reached home.  Patient can be in wheel chair.

8 hours ago, flashbang said:

Agreed with the general consensus that it's futile to "argue" with road hoggers. I just undertake them instead. Here in SG, road hogging isn't policed by TP, and neither is undertaking.

For ambulances, we should give way all the time. Even if there's no one inside, they might need to rush back to the hospital to get ready for their next call.

They dont go back to hospital for the next call (for Scdf).  They return to fire station.  For private ambulances they usually go back to their company.  Example?  Heng Gref.  For private ambulances that belong to a hospital, you are correct they return to their base or hospital but it's not to await for the next call specifically as they can get the call over the phone.  But it's their base so that's where they rest and te stock and so o .

7 hours ago, TeamAMG69 said:

first time hear need to ask permission to on siren

any health care workers here?

is that true? so who is the one that give permission ? 

As fas as I know, the medic on board the PTE ambulance gives permission for siren but if they are responding to a case or conveying a case then they should on the lights.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Being Singaporeans, we are programmed to seek "authority advice" on alot of simple things in life. But, whether to use common sense, whether to exercise empathy, and whether to fart in a crowded lift, should not be one of those things. 

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 2

Maybe I summarize the whole thing lah. My take only. To the best of my understanding. Correct me if I am wrong:

• Is it required by law to give way for emergency vehicles when their sirens and lights are on - Yes
  • If emergency vehicles' sirens and lights are not on, are other vehicles required to give way to them - No
  • Is tailgating an offence -- Yes
  • Is roadhogging an offence - Yes
  • Is speeding an offence - Yes
  • Is sitting on the lane 1 at the speed limit when there is room to move into lane 2 an offence - Yes
  • Is being ungracious an offence - No
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Jellandross said:

Being Singaporeans, we are programmed to seek "authority advice" on alot of simple things in life. But, whether to use common sense, whether to exercise empathy, and whether to fart in a crowded lift, should not be one of those things. 

Like Little India ?

On 2/29/2020 at 12:37 AM, sinistral said:

While it is gracious to filter left or give way to allow any ambulances with sirens blaring to rush to their destination on lane 1, what would you do if you encounter a private ambulance without any blinkers/sirens on and is tailgating you on Lane 1?

Is there a loophole somewhere that allows private ambulance drivers to cruise on Lane 1? Feels like there is some sort of 'entitlement' for them to use Lane 1 even when there is no blinkers/sirens.

Maybe we should ask ourselves this questions. Out of 10 encounters of ambulance on Lane 1, how many times do we think it is genuine? Personally, i would put it at 8 out of 10 times (80%) are genuine cases. With this understand, I would prefer to give it a benefit of doubts that ambulance is on a genuine cause. Why bother to harp and stir one own personal emotion over 20% who may abuse. Moreover, I only encounter an ambulance perhaps once in a fortnight. Therefore, move on and thank God that I am not inside that ambulance. 

• Praise 5

48 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

Maybe I summarize the whole thing lah. My take only. To the best of my understanding. Correct me if I am wrong:

• Is it required by law to give way for emergency vehicles when their sirens and lights are on - Yes
  • If emergency vehicles' sirens and lights are not on, are other vehicles required to give way to them - No
  • Is tailgating an offence -- Yes
  • Is roadhogging an offence - Yes
  • Is speeding an offence - Yes
  • Is sitting on the lane 1 at the speed limit when there is room to move into lane 2 an offence - Yes
  • Is being ungracious an offence - No
  • Is sitting on lane 1 at the speed limit to prevent others from speeding and breaking traffic rules ok - Yes
  • Is every driver part of TP, entrusted with enforcing traffic rules - No

(edited)
31 minutes ago, flashbang said:
  • Is sitting on lane 1 at the speed limit to prevent others from speeding and breaking traffic rules ok - Yes

Vehicle to keep close to left-hand edge of roadway

5.—(2)  Every vehicle shall at all times be driven in such manner as not to obstruct vehicles moving at a faster speed.

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 2

(edited)
9 hours ago, sinistral said:

I have submitted the same query to the authorities, and I am hopeful they will provide a nonprejudical response.

Would you give way to other tailgating vehicles ? If you would not,  would you also write to ask TP if it is right for them to cruise on lane 1? Could you also please  ask TP if it is correct for you not to give way to other faster moving vehicles on lane 1? 

Edited by Ct3833

Guys, this fella just wants to troll us. Let's just stop replying unless (until?? 😂) he comes back with his promised reply from the highest, most unimpeachable authority of the land - with all the name, rank, designation of that officer left intact so we can also check with him on the authenticity. 

Till then, don't feed the si gin nas.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1