Private Ambulance on Lane 1

sinistral

While it is gracious to filter left or give way to allow any ambulances with sirens blaring to rush to their destination on lane 1, what would you do if you encounter a private ambulance without any blinkers/sirens on and is tailgating you on Lane 1?

Is there a loophole somewhere that allows private ambulance drivers to cruise on Lane 1? Feels like there is some sort of 'entitlement' for them to use Lane 1 even when there is no blinkers/sirens.

↡ Advertisement

It does not hurt you one iota to give benefit of doubt that the ambulance is on its way to somewhere important and to just let it pass.

They do not cruise around like taxis looking for a fare. 

Is the right lane such an achievement to attain that you feel you have lost something by giving way to an emergency vehicle, notwithstanding lights or sirens? 

There surely is entitlement here but its not necessarily on the part of the ambulances. 

• Praise 23
  • Haha! 1

Oh, and when I'm on Lane 1, I give way to any vehicle that wants to go faster than I am prepared to go. When they come up too quickly or start following too close, I signal left and let them past so I can go on my way at my own comfortable pace. Why should I control someone else's pace just because I am on Lane 1?

• Praise 20

1 hour ago, sinistral said:

While it is gracious to filter left or give way to allow any ambulances with sirens blaring to rush to their destination on lane 1, what would you do if you encounter a private ambulance without any blinkers/sirens on and is tailgating you on Lane 1?

Is there a loophole somewhere that allows private ambulance drivers to cruise on Lane 1? Feels like there is some sort of 'entitlement' for them to use Lane 1 even when there is no blinkers/sirens.

Got entitlement. You.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

If you are driving in lane 1 and there is a vehicle fast catchng up, the most correct way is to filter left and give way, regardless of whether it is a normal vehicle or ambulance.

Ideally, lane 1 is meant for overtaking. 

Edited by Albeniz
  • Praise 11

what did the driving school and basic theory had taught you TS? probably you need a refresher course on basic theory.

nowadays doubtful drivers whom is blur really need to go back to driving school to refresh on their driving. knowledge.

Seriously, this topic is taught in basic theory. hope this answers your questions here in this thread. Please do back to your basics, if you have not done so.

Edited by StreamRSZ
  • Praise 4
  • Haha! 2

28 minutes ago, Scion said:

i give way to all ambulances, regardless SCDF or private ones

giving way to all emergency vehicles / all ambulances when they're on official duties ((blinkers on) is the right attitude but do note that the speed limit for all ambulances is at 80 km/h if they're not attending to emergency. Thus an ambulance that's not attending to emergency is committing either one of the traffic speeding or road hogging on lane 1 of expressway which has a limit of 90km/h.

• Praise 5

39 minutes ago, Leo72 said:

giving way to all emergency vehicles / all ambulances when they're on official duties ((blinkers on) is the right attitude but do note that the speed limit for all ambulances is at 80 km/h if they're not attending to emergency. Thus an ambulance that's not attending to emergency is committing either one of the traffic speeding or road hogging on lane 1 of expressway which has a limit of 90km/h.

Yes I fully agree with this, and I've seen a lot of entitled off-duty ambulances (especially private ones) hogging the right lane because they feel it's their God-given right or something. 

I always overtake them (safely) and move on (of course I don't hold them up, my driving style basically almost never holds others up). 

If they are on duty, I yield the right lane even when I'm faster than they are. Because I'll eventually get held up by some idiot road hog but they should be able to clear them with their siren. 

If I happen to follow an ambulance it'll be with enough distance to keep clear of the doors and give them space to work even if they do an e-brake. If someone thinks I'm leaving too much of a gap, I yield to them and let them follow the ambulance, they're being dumb in my view, but hey, whatever. 

The OP is clearly in the wrong not necessarily because it's an ambulance, but simply because no traffic has the right to hold up another on the fast lane. Move over!!

• Praise 6

Where to get blinkers now?! Like TS, there are many on lane 1 especially the PHVs. Unless they confirm that someone is dying behind, they will not move out of the lane 1.

9 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

There surely is entitlement here but its not necessarily on the part of the ambulances.

Wa, such shade. Haha..

Personally, I think even if on lane 1 and going above speed limit, if got someone behind catching / closing up, just give way. Never know if his wife inside the car gonna give birth, some other emergency, or he's siao lang. So, give way when safe, then cut back out to lane 1.

Maybe when I was younger, a little more reluctant to give way and will speed up, but now.. Chill~

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Leo72 said:

Thanks. This is the type of information I am looking for.

4 hours ago, StreamRSZ said:

what did the driving school and basic theory had taught you TS? probably you need a refresher course on basic theory.

nowadays doubtful drivers whom is blur really need to go back to driving school to refresh on their driving. knowledge.

Seriously, this topic is taught in basic theory. hope this answers your questions here in this thread. Please do back to your basics, if you have not done so.

s4RkNag.png

This is lifted directly from the BTT on TP's website. I have no qualms about giving way to emergency vehicles, because that is the only right thing to do.

My question is about private ambulances that is probably not attending to any emergency, because there was no sirens or blinkers on. FYI, I did filter left and let the ambulance pass. What was observed is that the ambulance continued to tailgate the cars that were infront of me previously. It was heavy traffic on PIE in the late morning as well. Quite astounded by the presumption from the earlier replies.

Edited by sinistral
  • Praise 3

40 minutes ago, Steptronic said:

Where to get blinkers now?! Like TS, there are many on lane 1 especially the PHVs. Unless they confirm that someone is dying behind, they will not move out of the lane 1.

Pao mata

1 hour ago, Leo72 said:

I would also give way to 'on-duty' ambulances always without fail - if i see/know them approaching from behind. Even if they are in front or beside me, I'll slow down to leave gap in front, to allow any vehicles in front of the ambulance to filter out of the ambulance's way.

Actually i also have some queries regarding the ambulances. Yes, ALL should give way if the ambulances are carrying sick/injured to the hospital, but if the ambulances are speeding excessively, is it a good thing?

I'm not sure if ambulances are modified to have better control/road holding, or BBK, etc. But there were some accidents involving ambulances, and many accidents involving the modern days F1-wannabe turbo-diesel vans... I certainly hope the ambulance drivers are highly skilled, and also that the ambulances hold up well. We certainly don't want to see both the crew and any ill or injured people inside, getting into an accident...

Edited by Atrecord
  • Praise 2

Be gracious and let the ambulance pass lah.

And then faster get in behind the ambulance and stay there.

Can reach faster lah.

Kindness begets kindness.

:grin:

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

11 hours ago, sinistral said:

It was late last night and I fired a couple of posts off the cuff. Its not "gracious" to do what you said, its the law. So don't pat yourself on the back too quickly. 

https://www.asiaone.com/health/160-fine-and-4-demerit-points-driver-who-blocked-ambulance

On the other hand, it is definitely gracious to pull to the left to let any traffic (ambulance or otherwise) pass you.

My presumption arises from your presumption that you're doing something altruistic when it is something that is required by law. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3