New size criteria let bigger dogs live in HDB flats

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

New size criteria let bigger dogs live in HDB flats

source: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/new-size-criteria-let-bigger-dogs-home-in-on-hdb

md-dog-0103.jpg?itok=CpLfb8UC&timestamp=

SINGAPORE - Housing Board (HDB) flat owners can now adopt bigger dogs under a government scheme that has revised the size criteria for rehoming local mixed-breed canines.

Dogs up to 55cm tall, with no weight limit, can be rehomed to HDB flats under Project Adore, the Animal & Veterinary Service (AVS) said on Sunday (March 1).

Previously, only dogs under 50cm and up to 15kg could be rehomed to HDB flats under the scheme.

Large dogs are usually not allowed to be kept in HDB flats, but Project Adore enables this with proper documentation and measures in place.

The scheme began in 2012 and allows HDB dwellers to adopt a local mixed-breed dog, typically larger in size than HDB's approved breeds.

They cannot be bought from shops or breeders but must come from one of five participating welfare groups - the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), Action for Singapore Dogs, Save Our Street Dogs, Exclusively Mongrels and Causes for Animals.

Stray dogs are taken to vet clinics or the SPCA's clinic to be sterilised, vaccinated and microchipped before being rehomed through the animal welfare groups.

AVS, which comes under the National Parks Board, estimates that 50 more dogs, on top of the average of 250 dogs, could be rehomed each year under the new changes, which will be assessed in a two year pilot.

The scheme had seen 1,335 local mixed-breed dogs rehomed as at Dec 31 last year.

Potential adopters will be screened and all must abide by stringent ownership conditions, such as sterilising, routine vaccinations and undergoing obedience training courses.

The AVS announced on Sunday that the K9 public adoption scheme, which allows the public to adopt retired sniffer dogs, will be extended for another two years, as no canines were available in the initial one-year pilot.

Dog lovers Brenda Chong, 27, and her husband Heah Yong Chian, 29, are proud owners of three-year-old Belle, which was once a stray in Tuas. The couple, who live in a three-room HDB flat in Telok Blangah, adopted her under Project Adore from Causes for Animals in August 2018.

Ms Chong, who is undergoing a diploma conversion course at National Institute of Early Childhood Development, said: "In the beginning, she was a little reserved because she has never been in a home before but now, she is very comfortable. We know, because she makes yawning noises and likes to sleep everywhere, including our bed."

This is a good initative that can help more stray dog to get rehome!

Here's a pic of my doggo. Which is also a stray.

B6D02E12-E9AF-4A8E-B1ED-509AF3B7FEC0_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.d7e5921ed7936886a827895afff50cee.jpeg

The smaller one I foster only. He have found a new home le. 🙂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 10
  • Shocked 1

This is good news! Hopefully, with time, the allowances for dogs in HDB will match those in private / condo. Mostly because I think it's dumb that in a 400sqft studio you can keep larger dogs than in a 700sqft 3 room flat.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
6 minutes ago, Hydrocarbon said:

This is good news! Hopefully, with time, the allowances for dogs in HDB will match those in private / condo. Mostly because I think it's dumb that in a 400sqft studio you can keep larger dogs than in a 700sqft 3 room flat.

I think this will take some time. Actually a lot of ppl who do not have a dog will have a perception of stray dog are wild and untamed.

Even when I bring my dog down for a walk, sometimes the passer-by will mention to their children this dog will bite and blah blah blah.

So public education is much needed.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic

If the person scare of dog, whether it is a stray dog or not, people would still scare de. Many times i saw people with dog waiting for the lift, they would not get into the lift when there are people inside. Cause some people might not comfortable with dog in an enclosed area. Wait the dog suddenly bite how? Lol.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
5 minutes ago, 13177 said:

If the person scare of dog, whether it is a stray dog or not, people would still scare de. Many times i saw people with dog waiting for the lift, they would not get into the lift when there are people inside. Cause some people might not comfortable with dog in an enclosed area. Wait the dog suddenly bite how? Lol.

Erm. okay. that one I have to say might have a chance. No matter what they are still animals. You never know what agitates them. But then again, generally, a dog is timid one. they are more scare than you are. The only time they will attack is when they flight or fight. Something must have agitated them to resort to that incident.

• Praise 2

Supersonic
(edited)
10 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Erm. okay. that one I have to say might have a chance. No matter what they are still animals. You never know what agitates them. But then again, generally, a dog is timid one. they are more scare than you are. The only time they will attack is when they flight or fight. Something must have agitated them to resort to that incident.

Ya lo, even i heard many times that the owner of the dog also got bitten by their own dog sometimes. So cannot blame that some people might scare of dog if stand too close to them. There was once at my block while waiting for lift, one neighbour with a small dog also waiting for the lift, then the dog suddenly jumped up towards me, but the owner fast reaction and pull back the dog. The dog sees me suddenly feel so excited? [laugh]

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Ya lo, even i heard many times that the owner of the dog also got bitten by their own dog sometimes. So cannot blame that some people might scare of dog if stand too close to them. There was once at my block while waiting for lift, one neighbour with a small dog also waiting for the lift, then the dog suddenly jumped up towards me, but the owner fast reaction and pull back the dog. The dog sees me suddenly feel so excited? [laugh]

You smell like KFC issit. hahaha. When I eat my punggol nasi lemak, my dog will stay super close to me also. hahaha.

• Haha! 5

48 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

I think this will take some time. Actually a lot of ppl who do not have a dog will have a perception of stray dog are wild and untamed.

Even when I bring my dog down for a walk, sometimes the passer-by will mention to their children this dog will bite and blah blah blah.

True.. Though, must educate some of the dog owners also. Some really don't train their dog, and expect everyone to be OK with their dog. My neighbour's dog is a nuisance, but they're also bad neighbours, so say so much also no use.

38 minutes ago, 13177 said:

My dad is scared of dog. I think coz when he was young, was bitten or something. So up til today, he's still scared of dog, that's why my family can't have dog. Situation is made worse by the arsehole neighbour's arsehole dog.

Most dog owners I meet, in general, keep their dog on leash and take care decently though, I must say.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
26 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

You smell like KFC issit. hahaha. When I eat my punggol nasi lemak, my dog will stay super close to me also. hahaha.

Maybe i have some smell that agitated that dog? Lol.

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
10 minutes ago, Hydrocarbon said:

True.. Though, must educate some of the dog owners also. Some really don't train their dog, and expect everyone to be OK with their dog. My neighbour's dog is a nuisance, but they're also bad neighbours, so say so much also no use.

My dad is scared of dog. I think coz when he was young, was bitten or something. So up til today, he's still scared of dog, that's why my family can't have dog. Situation is made worse by the arsehole neighbour's arsehole dog.

Most dog owners I meet, in general, keep their dog on leash and take care decently though, I must say.

When dog owner bring their dog out, even it is a small dog must also on leash. But some dog owner simply bochap and allow the dog to run freely on the street! I saw once the dog owner never leash her dog, and the dog suddenly run out of the road and the owner keeps chasing the road along the road, see liao also feel sweat for the dog and the dog owner cause so dangerous! 

• Shocked 1

46 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Broooo. Dogs can sense fear ma, you always scared this scared that HAHAHA 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Supersonic
8 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

But thing is i scare this scare that, but i didnt make the the dog scare me le? Why the dog sense fear? [laugh]

10 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

That’s so true.

As my wife always scare of my bro dog, the dog always jump on my wife.

10 yrs already still like that

• Haha! 5

Internal Moderator
59 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Maybe i have some smell that agitated that dog? Lol.

then must be your 前世 offended that dog. hahah.

• Haha! 1

56 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

my dog likes to smell my groin though when I'm sitting at my bed to change up... [laugh] 

• Haha! 4

Supersonic
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

That’s so true.

As my wife always scare of my bro dog, the dog always jump on my wife.

10 yrs already still like that

So the dog wants to scare your wife. Lol.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

To be fair, there should be some rules in walking your dog in public spaces. Dog is tame and won't bites is being repeated by dog lovers. Once they bite, then talking is too late.

When walking in public spaces or inside lift, should they be chained and with muzzle? How do they treat dog poops also need to be addressed too. Hope they don't end up in children playground. If HDB is relaxing the rule, they must also consider appropriate place for such activities. Don't issue licence then wait for others to solve the problem they created.

4 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Dogs and policemen are poor thing. When young, many parents will frighten their misbehaving kids by saying things like

"still not obedient, then the police will catch you and lock you up"! 😅

The animal version is probably like

"still not obedient, then the dog will bite you" lor...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 4