Nationwide locker network by end-2022; parcel collection points within 250m of all HDB homes

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Nationwide locker network by end-2022; parcel collection points within 250m of all HDB homes
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/nationwide-locker-network-end-2022-people-pick-parcels-within-250m-hdb-homes

200303_locker_jy.jpg?itok=3NM8X7sf

SINGAPORE — From late 2020, the Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA) will progressively roll out a nationwide network of 1,000 parcel locker stations in public locations such as public housing estates, MRT stations and community clubs. These will all be within 250m of every Housing and Development Board (HDB) flat.

The lockers are meant to make it more efficient for couriers to deliver parcels, so that they no longer have to go door to door.

The nationwide initiative was announced on Tuesday (March 3) in Parliament during the debate on the budget of the Ministry of Communications and Information (MCI).

Speaking during the debate, Communications and Information Minister S. Iswaran noted that the growth of e-commerce has driven a rapid rise in parcel deliveries worldwide.

He added that in Singapore, about 200,000 parcels are delivered daily, and e-commerce is projected to grow at 12 to 20 per cent annually over the next five years.

“It is neither productive, nor sustainable, for this growing volume of packages to all be delivered to the doorstep,” Mr Iswaran said. “We do need alternative solutions. We must enhance Singapore’s last mile delivery infrastructure.”

One such solution, he said, is the nationwide parcel locker station network, an expansion of a pilot that was launched in Bukit Panjang and Punggol’s HDB towns in 2018. Under the pilot programme, there are 23 locker sites in Bukit Panjang and 39 in Punggol.
Unlike the pilot, when the nationwide initiative kicks in, locker sites will no longer be run by national postal agency Singapore Post (SingPost) and locker service operator BluPort, but by IMDA.

However, the authority will partner SingPost to leverage the postal agency’s “extensive postal service experience”. It will also work with online shopping firm Shopee to co-develop solutions to meet the growing demand of e-commerce.

IMDA said the pilot showed that there was a four-fold increase in delivery efficiency. Delivery drivers were able to despatch 250 parcels in a day compared with about 60 parcels if they were to do it door-to-door.

Three quarters of the locker users surveyed showed that they were satisfied with the service, based on a National University of Singapore study done in September last year, IMDA said.

“Building on the pilot’s achievements, IMDA will scale up the network of parcel lockers and deploy them nationwide to better serve the needs of Singapore residents,” it added.

Assistant Professor He Long, who is from the department of analytics and operations at the National University of Singapore Business School, said that the locker system manages to boost delivery productivity by reducing the time taken by couriers to travel all the way to the doorstep of customers.

The lockers have also helped to optimise delivery routes used by the couriers, Dr He added.

The lockers have also helped to optimise delivery routes used by the couriers, Dr He added.

Separately, Ms Sim Ann, the Senior Minister of State for Communications and Information, said during the debate on MCI’s budget that SingPost is improving its service standards to “rebuild public trust”.

"They have extended delivery hours for peak periods, improved staff remuneration and hired more postmen," she said.

This, after the company had a number of service lapses in 2018 and early last year, she said.

SingPost was fined S$300,000 for not meeting quality service standards in the delivery of letters in 2018, after being fined S$100,000 for similar lapses the year before.

Ms Sim noted that consumer complaints fall by about 40 per cent in December last year compared with 2018, and that customer satisfaction has also grown.

She added that MCI and IMDA will continue to work closely with SingPost to enhance its service standards.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Internal Moderator

But then how, I dunno how it will works. So next time, rather than my mailing address, I will label the collection point address? Then what if the box doesn't fit? Where will the parcel gonna be?

Singpost sure says not my problem. 🤷‍♂️

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, kobayashiGT said:

But then how, I dunno how it will works. So next time, rather than my mailing address, I will label the collection point address? Then what if the box doesn't fit? Where will the parcel gonna be?

Thats my concern. I tried to deliver to these pickup points before then odd sized packages. Now I usually opt for shop pickup which is also quite convenient. 

• Praise 1

Actually this move will hurt some of the shops which hold items for taobao and ezbuy etc. Cos they earn some money also. 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

they ask you to write to IMDA lor or ask shipper to repack to fit the locker...😛

Internal Moderator

The last time I use a locker is because ASOS opt-ed for my collection to be in the blu locker.

So mafan...

I have to travel all the way to the shopping mall, find the locker, take the parcel and bring home.

Like what @Lala81 mentioned, I also like to collect from shops, I think more human touch in that way.

Supersonic
16 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

The last time I use a locker is because ASOS opt-ed for my collection to be in the blu locker.

So mafan...

I have to travel all the way to the shopping mall, find the locker, take the parcel and bring home.

Like what @Lala81 mentioned, I also like to collect from shops, I think more human touch in that way.

Aiya so mafan and worry if your parcel could fit into the locker and need to search for the locker. Might as well go directly to the shop to buy your stuff, even more human touch le. Lol.

This idea is so slow.

When I was staying in Beijing,  my estate has this.

After deliveryman place my parcel in the box, the box will me a QR code to get my stuff.

Hopefully there have a lot of unit. Otherwise fill up very fast.

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

So mafan...

shop collection can sian SYT working there :inlove:

1 hour ago, kobayashiGT said:

more like post office will inform you of your parcel or anything that can't squeeze into your mailbox)  will be delivered to the box no. 

Online purchase you can tell them which zone to send to.

• Praise 1

Just now, kobayashiGT said:

@Inlinefour collect at ah-lian-handphone-shop one. hahha.

how come you knew huh

me collected my iPhone 11 from a beautiful SYT from her Mobilephone  shop

since then all my apple devices get from her only

all my buddies too 

but she is a hard nut to crack :pissed-off:

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
13 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

how come you knew huh

me collected my iPhone 11 from a beautiful SYT from her Mobilephone  shop

since then all my apple devices get from her only

all my buddies too 

but she is a hard nut to crack :pissed-off:

I am that ah-lian at the mobile phone shop mah.

Bubble tea theory. You need to buy 10 then got something free. hahahahha.

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

I am that ah-lian at the mobile phone shop mah.

Bubble tea theory. You need to buy 10 then got something free. hahahahha.

counted already bought more than ten devices from her liao leh

still very the dao lor

need to move on for next softshell cos she authentic hard nut

😬😬😬

↡ Advertisement