Australian newspaper prints extra pages to help people cope with toilet paper shortage

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Australian newspaper prints extra pages to help people cope with toilet paper shortage

source: https://mothership.sg/2020/03/australia-newspaper-print-extra/

image.png.8c71be99d25d148a9fb587f09abc3875.png

An Australian newspaper made national headlines for printing extra pages in its editions, in a hilarious attempt to help readers cope with the recent toilet paper emergency in the country.

NT News, an Australian newspaper known for its humorous take on current affairs, decided to leave some blank pages in the middle of its physical editions.

NT News editor Matt Williams told Guardian Australia that the paper editions were selling well, and was “certainly not a crappy edition”.

“We are a newspaper known around the world who understands the needs of our readers,” he said.

“(Australians) are in great need of toilet paper right now so we had to deliver what they needed.”

Australians panic-buy toilet paper in fear of Covid-19

Two have died from the Covid-19 outbreak in Australia, with at least 50 cases confirmed.

The viral outbreak has triggered widespread panic-buying across the country, with supermarket shelves being wiped clean.

Supermarkets in Australia have see people getting tasered and a shopper who had a knife pulled on them over toilet paper rolls.

Woolsworths, Australia’s biggest supermarket chain, announced on Wednesday (Mar. 4) that it will put a limit on toilet paper purchases to four packs per person.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 11

Internal Moderator
36 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

later kar chng black black [laugh]

the newspaper clever leh. do parody to smirk at their own people.

Imagine ST do this. Sure rabak until jialat jialat one.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

Although I don't condone this rush for toilet paper and still don't understand why the paranoid mentality, I'm just smirking cos we Singaporeans were being branded kiasu and not rationale just over a month back. Even our Minister was calling us siah suay so who now siah suay as this mind set seems to have been replicated across few countries!

Having said that, I still didn't buy extra toilet paper though I did stock up abit on tin food.

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

Can someone enlighten me what has toilet paper got to do with the virus or CODE ORANGE. 

Stocking up food I can still understand. But toilet paper?????

• Haha! 4

5 minutes ago, Neost said:

Can someone enlighten me what has toilet paper got to do with the virus or CODE ORANGE. 

I also cannot understand 

maybe people do, just copy

22 minutes ago, Neost said:

That's why, don't understand at all.

Take example me who uses good old fashion hand held spray.

I only use 1 section of toilet paper dry my butt after washing and I tried counting a fresh roll of toilet paper just now but gave up cos 1 roll can last me for a month even if I poo everyday :=B:.

Even if I use 2 sections also can last me a long time.

Maybe there are a few big butts at home and uses toilet paper like running water? :secret-laugh:

1 hour ago, Spring said:

Having said that, I still didn't buy extra toilet paper though I did stock up abit on tin food.

Why everyone keep stocking up toilet paper?

Isn't a bidet better coz it cleans the khar chng better and saves water (to manufacture toilet paper)?

In any case, I did consider stocking up, but end of the day, didn't lah. Fat enough to tahan for a long time, and also, if we don't have enough food in Singapore, means almost wartime conditions liao. So SAF will probably call us back, and then will have food again. haha

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Spring said:

Although I don't condone this rush for toilet paper and still don't understand why the paranoid mentality, I'm just smirking cos we Singaporeans were being branded kiasu and not rationale just over a month back. Even our Minister was calling us siah suay so who now siah suay as this mind set seems to have been replicated across few countries!

Our minister didn't call all of us Siah Suay, he called those who hoard the food, etc, siah suay and black sheep. Those are the genuine ones who disgrace Singapore. He said this minority are the ones spoiling the image of Singapore.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Hydrocarbon said:

Why everyone keep stocking up toilet paper?

Isn't a bidet better coz it cleans the khar chng better and saves water (to manufacture toilet paper)?

In any case, I did consider stocking up, but end of the day, didn't lah. Fat enough to tahan for a long time, and also, if we don't have enough food in Singapore, means almost wartime conditions liao. So SAF will probably call us back, and then will have food again. haha

In my view, stocking up is not about insufficient food but more that in an event of a pandemic, u won’t want to go out anywhere if possible. So store food is correct as u can cook at home. Like u, I also feel Toilet paper not important, my 2 cents. 

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Heartbreakid said:

Our minister didn't call all of us Siah Suay, he called those who hoard the food, etc, siah suay and black sheep. Those are the genuine ones who disgrace Singapore. He said this minority are the ones spoiling the image of Singapore.

I know he only called those who hoard stuff like toilet paper as siah suay but isn’t this what is happening in many countries with Covid-19 now? My point is that if these Singaporeans are disgraceful, so are the Americans, Australians, HKs, Japs etc Cos all of them did the same!

I’m not one of them but I detest a Singaporean calling fellow Singaporeans siah suay when other country citizens are doing the same n whilst I don’t agree with what these Singaporeans do, I am more emphatic that in situations like these, people can n will behave irrationally n nothing to do with siah suay, my 2 cents. 

• Praise 6

(edited)
2 hours ago, Spring said:

I know he only called those who hoard stuff like toilet paper as siah suay but isn’t this what is happening in many countries with Covid-19 now? My point is that if these Singaporeans are disgraceful, so are the Americans, Australians, HKs, Japs etc Cos all of them did the same!

I’m not one of them but I detest a Singaporean calling fellow Singaporeans siah suay when other country citizens are doing the same n whilst I don’t agree with what these Singaporeans do, I am more emphatic that in situations like these, people can n will behave irrationally n nothing to do with siah suay, my 2 cents. 

But what's said cannot be unwind back, perhaps this minister realise that now. Is just like some of our people go M'sia rock their car for more petrol and make a name for ourselves.

Now that other countries have people having the same hoarding reaction, it's at least in a way to soften our "Siah Suay" image, which is a good thing. [laugh]

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Haha! 1

The main thing is we have no info what supplies ppl have at home when the risk of quarantine set in... imagine u never have big stock of anything and suddenly u think must stay home for 2 weeks... what things do u need asap?

Of cos it will be those common things 

Problem is actually everyone assume everyone has a typical middle class tv family household with ample supply of everything like run by a warehouse store manager... actually frm what i know those of my friends who had no choice to go buy stuff is they rly had not much stuff and rarely spend time at home until now. At first i thot ppl nuts but after i think about it just needs a small portion of ppl like this and they can clear store shelves which then trigger panic which is what always happens when shortages are reported in every country everywhere

Or we can condemn sia suay for making the effort to get their homes lockdown ready

↡ Advertisement