Why M'sia giant 10-14 wheeler lorries stop/crawl on expressways?

song77

Ever noticed many times, those long huge M'sia 10-14 wheelers lorries tend to crawl (10 km/h) or stop in the middle of expressways during peak hours? They want to avoid ERP charges? or engine no power to go faster?

Often during peak hours, there were traffic congestion. But once passed the choke point, you will have that WTF moment because its one of those huge lorries crawling at snail's pace, hogging the traffic.

↡ Advertisement

7 hours ago, song77 said:

Ever noticed many times, those long huge M'sia 10-14 wheelers lorries tend to crawl (10 km/h) or stop in the middle of expressways during peak hours? They want to avoid ERP charges? or engine no power to go faster?

Often during peak hours, there were traffic congestion. But once passed the choke point, you will have that WTF moment because its one of those huge lorries crawling at snail's pace, hogging the traffic.

Stop? Crawl? As long as they're not dangerously overtaking one another without regard to what's coming up on their right, I'm happy. 

9 hours ago, song77 said:

Dunno where you've been driving but I've never seen it happen before, except at certain uphill merges, e.g. Clementi Avenue 6 merging onto PIE (Changi). 

Just now, Macrosszero said:

Dunno where you've been driving but I've never seen it happen before, except at certain uphill merges, e.g. Clementi Avenue 6 merging onto PIE (Changi). 

Hv la

esp bke en route to PIE... and worse still, when plying near the kje exit and all the clusterfxxk cars wanting to enter , and this snail plodding by... 

think that’s what he’s referring to

for me, 10s, wun change my life ... really

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, RadX said:

Hv la

esp bke en route to PIE... and worse still, when plying near the kje exit and all the clusterfxxk cars wanting to enter , and this snail plodding by... 

think that’s what he’s referring to

for me, 10s, wun change my life ... really

No wonder; that’s one of the routes I never take.

11 hours ago, song77 said:

Those 10 to 14 wheeler use compressed air brake system. When the compressed air system and tank is experiencing low pressure, the system by default will go into lock down to prevent the vehicle from moving.

Many of those old vehicle may have very poorly maintained air system - either air compressor not working efficiently or the air tank may have accumulate condensed water which should be drain regularly - manually or via auto water trap unit.

• Praise 8

1 hour ago, Inlinefour said:

most scary are the "flying" boleh bikes on bke

they flew in between lane 1 and 2 

lta tp both act blur

Once you learn to co-exist with them, It is fine.

Rem to use signal when you need to switch lane.

• Praise 1

Must be working against gravity along BKE. Certain stretches are actually going uphill but isnt obvious. The weight of the heavy vehicle will be more significant compared to your motorcycle. If you dont feel it must be motorbike.

Internal Moderator

I guess we can only grumble here.

These are the guys that help to grow Singapore GDP thou. If slow and steady win the race, their boss never complaint, what can we do? We all share the same road, be gracious abit lor.

Try this playlist from spotify if it helps.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7vBShQfXqgKHshNTD9JnWQ?si=4ETNvZGvSaWzWPhrOCI4Og

On 3/8/2020 at 1:26 PM, Yeobh said:

Those 10 to 14 wheeler use compressed air brake system. When the compressed air system and tank is experiencing low pressure, the system by default will go into lock down to prevent the vehicle from moving.

Many of those old vehicle may have very poorly maintained air system - either air compressor not working efficiently or the air tank may have accumulate condensed water which should be drain regularly - manually or via auto water trap unit.

No wonder. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

On 3/8/2020 at 1:26 PM, Yeobh said:

Not really, they also have new trucks struggling to climb the BKE slope. Main reason is they tend to overload their trucks over the weight limit & the load is too heavy for the truck to pull. After they unload their goods, you can see they drive like F1 blasting down back to custom via BKE with their old & new trucks.

Seen them regularly few months back near Fort Road/ ECP junction regularly ..... think they’re granite filled and must be unloading the stuff for nearby upcoming  MRT station 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

I think most likely they are usually overloaded, which cause the engine to struggle and thus they appear to go at a snail's pace.

A little slope will add tremendously to the overloaded problem.

You think they will want to drive all the way from Penang or 800km down to Sg and make 2 trips or 2 lorries or just simply overload the one lorry ?

Edited by Kb27
↡ Advertisement