Proudly freeloading off MOE Grant

Nostalgia

3 Freeloaders spotted in this one short thread? 

Or if they're not needy and could have afforded to set up their own company to come here, why deprive other needy of their grant?

There seems to be no other charitable explanation.

image.thumb.png.d5425170111b4633e2c283cfb359c01c.png

Edited by Nostalgia
↡ Advertisement
  • Angry 1
  • Shocked 1

very tough to police. 

The person can be working in a local "Company" and the Company stationed him in his Country of birth. 

Turbocharged

Why does MOE want to sponsor  a foreign student?

How can this Foreigner value add to Singapore, when he is a fresh grad?

• Praise 3

i was an international student. What i understand is normally education agent sell this "tuition grant" as "scholarship". At least that's what and few of my friends understand it.

The catch was as long as we are willing to stay singapore to work for 3 years, we can take the grant. Before starting or upon completion of the 3 years, there wasn't a clear instruction how do we report and so on.. thats why a lot of people take it for granted.

I have a friend who didn't serve the 3 years fully. however when she enter singapore many years after that as tourist, nothing was imposed to her too

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

The idea is that the foreign student has to work back in SG for three years as a way for him to contribute back. During that 3 years, it is hope that he will integrate into society, be a PR, marry a Singaporean, etc.....in a way that will prolong his contribution. It is a way to fill the talent gap and population gap.

I would think not every foreign student can get the scholarship. Only the bright ones with good results. During my time (20+ years ago), those who get scholarship are usually some of the top students in their country.  Now, I don't know the eligibility standards. Most I know during my time  are Malaysians, and they are still here after 20 over years

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, pChou said:

i was an international student. What i understand is normally education agent sell this "tuition grant" as "scholarship". At least that's what and few of my friends understand it.

The catch was as long as we are willing to stay singapore to work for 3 years, we can take the grant. Before starting or upon completion of the 3 years, there wasn't a clear instruction how do we report and so on.. thats why a lot of people take it for granted.

I have a friend who didn't serve the 3 years fully. however when she enter singapore many years after that as tourist, nothing was imposed to her too

Wow this is bad...(the underlined statement)

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Vinceng said:

It is fairly common for gov (The UK, Germany, etc)  to sponsor foreign students in hope that they either stay on to work and live here or return to their home country and work their way up, hopefully becoming someone in a good position which may make it easy for the gov to get them to invest here.

I have a couple of friends studied in Germany for free (free as long as you can get a place in the uni there). I received a bond free scholarship from the UK gov.

• Praise 4

Sometimes it goes beyond hoping for the scholars to contribute to SG economy when they graduate.

It could be a high-level decision to throw money in the direction of certain countries to show them that we are very friendly with them, in the hope of establishing or further entrenching good relations with them. This way, it will be easier to reach agreement with them in future over anything - having gotten into their good books.

In this sense, then whether the scholars really serve bonds or not, is only secondary.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Just a short while ago, there was this hoo-ha about a primary 6 student's PSLE result slip being withheld because there were some outstanding payments which the parents did not settle.

Maybe they should apply it on these scholars instead.  Only give them the Degree scroll after they have completely served the 3 year bond.

• Praise 9

2 hours ago, Albeniz said:

Just a short while ago, there was this hoo-ha about a primary 6 student's PSLE result slip being withheld because there were some outstanding payments which the parents did not settle.

Maybe they should apply it on these scholars instead.  Only give them the Degree scroll after they have completely served the 3 year bond.

Yes!! Thank you!! 

Why should locals be the only ones to bear the brunt of their judgements?

• Praise 5

9 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Sometimes it goes beyond hoping for the scholars to contribute to SG economy when they graduate.

It could be a high-level decision to throw money in the direction of certain countries to show them that we are very friendly with them, in the hope of establishing or further entrenching good relations with them. This way, it will be easier to reach agreement with them in future over anything - having gotten into their good books.

In this sense, then whether the scholars really serve bonds or not, is only secondary.

India must be soooooo grateful..🤣

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Albeniz said:

Careful there... some may say u xeno and anti govt 😱

• Haha! 1

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/moe-spends-s238-million-yearly-scholarships-and-tuition-grants-foreign-students

Note.. $238m is already half what they use to spend. 

"..Mr Ong also said that foreign students are admitted into institutes of higher learning on more stringent requirements only after “all Singaporean students who meet the standards have been admitted”.  
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/moe-spends-s238-million-yearly-scholarships-and-tuition-grants-foreign-students.."

Really?? And easily hundreds of millions in coffin money must have been spent by parents sending their children overseas cos local U no space.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Actually look at it another way, as long as they work in SG, own company or work for others, no problem.

Own company, they create employment for sg. Work for others, they deprive local sg of job. 

Set up own company doesn't mean they are rich. Just ambitious or have a plan.

12 hours ago, Silver_blade said:

It is fairly common for gov (The UK, Germany, etc)  to sponsor foreign students in hope that they either stay on to work and live here or return to their home country and work their way up, hopefully becoming someone in a good position which may make it easy for the gov to get them to invest here.

I have a couple of friends studied in Germany for free (free as long as you can get a place in the uni there). I received a bond free scholarship from the UK gov.

If they give.. by all means take it... hopefully you contributed back to them in some way too.

But the German govt is also willing to spend stupid billions taking in millions of unregulated illegal economic sponges..  with some refugees thrown in.. 

I also doubt any qualified german or uk student is denied a uni place while flooded with ft degree scholars and workers like Singapore... while telling locals not to get degrees. 😑

• Praise 1

30 minutes ago, Playtime said:

....I also doubt any qualified german or uk student is denied a uni place while flooded with ft degree scholars and workers like Singapore... while telling locals not to get degrees. 

The good courses in top universities in the UK has maybe has around 10-30% Brits and the rest are foreigners. Meaning, most Brits will have to go to lesser known uni. If you go into Imperial College, part of Cambridge or Oxford uni, you will think you are in Singapore. Most of these courses charge the same fee regardless if you are local or foreigner. 

A lot of cosmopolitan cities around the world are filled with foreigners taking on ‘desirable’ jobs like banking, IT (this one is very universal...most from the same country), medical, etc.

i feel Singaporean need to stop our obsession chasing papers and stop to think what we really want to do. We can then look at options before deciding which path to take. I have come across so many of my relatives have a diploma or degree that is totally irrelevant to their job or going into a job that they don’t really like. 

Edited by Silver_blade
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2