Proudly freeloading off MOE Grant

Nostalgia

33 minutes ago, Silver_blade said:

The good courses in top universities in the UK has maybe has around 10-30% Brits and the rest are foreigners. Meaning, most Brits will have to go to lesser known uni. If you go into Imperial College, part of Cambridge or Oxford uni, you will think you are in Singapore. Most of these courses charge the same fee regardless if you are local or foreigner. 

A lot of cosmopolitan cities around the world are filled with foreigners taking on ‘desirable’ jobs like banking, IT (this one is very universal...most from the same country), medical, etc.

i feel Singaporean need to stop our obsession chasing papers and stop to think what we really want to do. We can then look at options before deciding which path to take. I have come across so many of my relatives have a diploma or degree that is totally irrelevant to their job or going into a job that they don’t really like. 

Well... the saying goes.. degree don't mean good job... but... no degree means no job.

It's not just a personal education paper chase issue. 

With the flood of ft.. is not a tenable position. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Playtime said:

Well... the saying goes.. degree don't mean good job... but... no degree means no job.

It's not just a personal education paper chase issue. 

With the flood of ft.. is not a tenable position. 

Which is why I feel we need to think where are passions are and if we are ok with the nature of the job instead of blindly chasing papers. I have friend who had at least a basic degree from NUS/NTU and some have post grad qualification and now working in jobs (and are happy with it + good income) that do not require such papers. The time and resources could have been better utilised if they have though through their possible career plan in advance.

Edited by Silver_blade

51 minutes ago, Silver_blade said:

....i feel Singaporean need to stop our obsession chasing papers and stop to think what we really want to do. We can then look at options before deciding which path to take. I have come across so many of my relatives have a diploma or degree that is totally irrelevant to their job or going into a job that they don’t really like. 

I advocate these to my children. I told them they should rough it out at primary/secondary and do their best. After that they should pursue something they have passion in, do their research and see if they still like it after they know more about the career eg. scope of work, working hours, income, progression, etc. 

I told them that a degree is not always a must cos there are jobs that do not require it. I also tell them that do not always look at Singapore...they can explore the options of working and living overseas.

Edited by Silver_blade

19 minutes ago, Silver_blade said:

I advocate these to my children. I told them they should rough it out at primary/secondary and do their best. After that they should pursue something they have passion in, do their research and see if they still like it after they know more about the career eg. scope of work, working hours, income, progression, etc. 

I told them that a degree is not always a must cos there are jobs that do not require it. I also tell them that do not always look at Singapore...they can explore the options of working and living overseas.

My heart says that should be the way.

But my brain says reality here may not agree and could mess up their future 😖

But thumbs up to your conviction. 👍

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Karoon said:

Actually look at it another way, as long as they work in SG, own company or work for others, no problem.

Own company, they create employment for sg. Work for others, they deprive local sg of job. 

Set up own company doesn't mean they are rich. Just ambitious or have a plan.

Hmm...just pay a few dollars at ACRA then got company liao...not necessarily create jobs for sinkies...main thing for me is the integrity issue....set up empty company then declare bond fulfilled. Says a lot of their character. Do we want such shady characters around us?

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

https://tgonline.moe.gov.sg/docs/TG-SampleAgreement.pdf

All there.

Have to inform Ah Gong of employment particulars: 2(1)(j)

Employment can be self employment as Ah Gong may approve: 2(3). This is correct. Those who are genuinely interested in starting a business to make something of it should have the option.

Have to sign letter to authorised CPF to provide employment information to Ah Gong: 3(1)(k).

I know the government/civil service is convenient fodder for many people as if it can do no right. But it is also not stupid.

Hypersonic
3 hours ago, Silver_blade said:

wah..... if after sec school they tell you they wanna be youtuber or pro esports gamer how?

😅

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Enye said:

wah..... if after sec school they tell you they wanna be youtuber or pro esports gamer how?

😅

Then we will sit down and list out all the pros and cons. If they still want to do it, then will tell them we will be feeding them for them for a certain period of time. They will have to review the feasibility regularly or they will be facing financial hardship if the money is not coming it. They will learn to look for plan B or plan C. 😅😅😅😅  

• Praise 3

Supercharged
22 hours ago, Weez911 said:

That goes my tax contributions to the nation.

that time they say every other country is also doing it.

I heard from a colleague, some will join stat-board company so that it will be easy to get PR. Once got PR already no more tuition grant required. Once tuition grant rescinded, immediately quit the job and sayonara.

Turbocharged
On 3/10/2020 at 6:52 PM, Icedbs said:

The idea is that the foreign student has to work back in SG for three years as a way for him to contribute back. During that 3 years, it is hope that he will integrate into society, be a PR, marry a Singaporean, etc.....in a way that will prolong his contribution. It is a way to fill the talent gap and population gap.

I would think not every foreign student can get the scholarship. Only the bright ones with good results. During my time (20+ years ago), those who get scholarship are usually some of the top students in their country.  Now, I don't know the eligibility standards. Most I know during my time  are Malaysians, and they are still here after 20 over years

SG govt not stupid, surely they have means to extract more than the value of the tuition grant out of these foreign students. Sure a few might escape, but we can logically conclude that vast majority stay on and work here. After all, exchange rate is very favourable. Take a malaysian for example, who in the right mind would go back to malaysia to work, when he earns RM3 per SGD1 here for the same 24 hours a day.

Then if the govt is lucky, he or she will get hitched with a local citizen here, then never ever leave again. And then govt continues to gain beyond those 3 years, through income tax, etc. etc. Even luckier, citizen children in the next few years, since locals are not keen to have children, maybe foreigners still have the traditional family mindset.

Re-cap, govt not stupid, they are definitely gaining something more than what was given out. Else this scheme would've been terminated long ago ...

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Adrianli said:

What a talent but used in the wrong way. At least he never run off or freeloading.

852214624_ScreenshotTNPnewspapercutting001.thumb.JPG.b3d6ef062f9210d7605dd28ddfb683f4.JPG

LOL the most at his company's name : Trusted Services ! [laugh]

Not laughing anymore when google shows the subsidiary is really a subsidiary of THE Temasek! And his boss is keen on keeping this guy even if there's a jail term. Must be quite a talent.

10 hours ago, Adrianli said:

What a talent but used in the wrong way. At least he never run off or freeloading.

852214624_ScreenshotTNPnewspapercutting001.thumb.JPG.b3d6ef062f9210d7605dd28ddfb683f4.JPG

This article could be the best resume in a tech company...

you want vision?

You want ambition?

You want hands on ability?

You want drive?

It's ALLLLL here...👍

11 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Give him PR nao...

Srsly all our sg bred ppl dunno how to think outside the box thats why our IT talent bohua. This guy got bright future wherever he go so we should grab him and make sure not put to evil use

14 hours ago, Adrianli said:

He could get jobs offer from CIA, FBI, KGB, CID, CPIB, IRAS, ... etc. 

Hack into accounts (legally) to trace any wrong doing of suspects .. :ninja: 

Edited by Picnic06-Biante15
↡ Advertisement