Bullying in a Pri School in Punggol

Lala81

Turbocharged

Very serious concern on the nonchalant attitude of the school principal when the victim's mother and sister initially brought this matter up to her attention👎

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/students-responsible-for-bullying-incident-at-mee-toh-school-12529576

image.png.1c798c25d2209aeecfbb455272ae6a28.png

Action speaks louder than words - too late to cover up

https://mothership.sg/2020/03/mee-toh-school-bullying-statement/

image.png.4dee13e3508a674d73d6eec07629b18c.png

Edited by Vinceng
↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Jusnel said:

Finally the principal had done something about it.  It took too long.......

After minister of education step in and speaker of parliament embarrassed by school girl

Gg. Plz clap for this principal

• Praise 1

School bully is very serious.   I remember one of a girl from Nan Chiau Secondary jumped down from  opposite block of the school many many  years ago.   She was being bullied in school.  She cannot take it ,ran out from school and jumped.

• Praise 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

My girl was bullied in K2 also.  Her classmates used crayon as make up, to colour her eyebrows, lips, cheeks and etc.

I asked her why her eyebrows were so dark when reached home.   She told me what happened. The teacher WAS SLEEPING in class asked them to play themselves.  And her classmates started to colour her face.   When the teacher woke up saw, she quickly clean my girl's face.

I brought her to the principal immediately to complain.  The teacher called me the next day to  apologise and she was asked to resign.   I told some of the parents what their kids had done to my daughter and one of them apologised to me.

This teacher kept sleeping,  never teach.  Terrible.

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 2

Supercharged
5 hours ago, Jusnel said:

Finally the principal had done something about it.  It took too long.......

OYK make noise liao of course she have to do something lor.. unless she wanna retire early..

Question is why they did not act on the initial reports of bullying

44 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

OYK make noise liao of course she have to do something lor.. unless she wanna retire early..

As usual, bury under carpet....

Even if the school needs to take one week/one month to investigate,  at least they shld tell the victim's family about it. 

If they keep quiet, who the hell knows what they are doing. 

And where are the school counsellors???

Turbocharged
9 hours ago, yishunite said:

After minister of education step in and speaker of parliament embarrassed by school girl

Gg. Plz clap for this principal

Why should the Speaker feel embarrassed? His reply was okay, not having any further info other than this twitter char bor yapping at him. As MP and public figure I am sure he sees a lot of these individuals, all of them with personal grievances, so he cannot straightaway take sides or promise anything. So in the absence of info he can only give very general advice which is correct.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged
On 3/11/2020 at 3:11 PM, Othello said:

The school ignored the complaints for years ?? I find this somehow hard to believe .... 

Now the ministars chup 2 kars liao, see what's the outcome

Easy for me -- my kid faced racial bullying there (PSLE in 2016) 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
On 3/11/2020 at 3:27 PM, Lala81 said:

Yes difficult to eradicate. Especially among girls who like to do these type of social bullying. HIgh change the messages are from girls. Boys tend to use verbal abuse or physical bullying.

Maybe difficult to eradicate - but the important message that we send by making bullying an issue (instead of ignoring or sweeping under carpet) is that it's not acceptable 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
On 3/11/2020 at 6:52 PM, Tianmo said:

The bullied sibling claim that they did approach the school, but nothing was done, and instead told changing school is an option, while the sister was punish for defending herself.  Does it sound logical to you?  I mean the way the case is put forward is weak to me, the trying hard to paint a victim is too strong for me to not have a 2nd thought. 

Sounds perfectly logical to me - it very much reflects the tone of my experience with the sme school 

• Praise 3

9 minutes ago, Darryn said:

Maybe difficult to eradicate - but the important message that we send by making bullying an issue (instead of ignoring or sweeping under carpet) is that it's not acceptable 

I'm all for making it an issue. Just like teaching kids to take care of the environment.

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Why should the Speaker feel embarrassed? His reply was okay, not having any further info other than this twitter char bor yapping at him. As MP and public figure I am sure he sees a lot of these individuals, all of them with personal grievances, so he cannot straightaway take sides or promise anything. So in the absence of info he can only give very general advice which is correct.

this sort of response is in itself a form of bullying - terms like "char bor" and "yapping" are perjorative - you're not so subtley belittling the sister.  "Yapping" is what a noisy little dog does, it is language that you may want to consider when talking about such issues

• Praise 2

16 hours ago, Tkseah said:

I hope the school and/or MOE addresses the allegations that the school did nothing for a few years. 

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/pupils-involved-bullying-incident-counselled-and-disciplined-accordingly-parents-called

21 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Very serious concern on the nonchalant attitude of the school principal when the victim's mother and sister initially brought this matter up to her attention👎

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/students-responsible-for-bullying-incident-at-mee-toh-school-12529576

image.png.1c798c25d2209aeecfbb455272ae6a28.png

Action speaks louder than words - too late to cover up

https://mothership.sg/2020/03/mee-toh-school-bullying-statement/

image.png.4dee13e3508a674d73d6eec07629b18c.png

So reading the language in this letter, what the principal really mean is - the bullying was condoned, the issue was not taken seriously and the sch did not follow through with any action. All these are only now being done because the dirty laundry was exposed. I say power to the sister for daring to step out and expose this matter. 

I don't have schooling age children or grand children, so cannot confirm this. Don't parent has an avenue to report such issues or even if they are having problems with the teaching staff? MOE not accessible to parents? All reports should be officially registered. If found any case not properly handled, officer and immediate supervisors will be held responsible.  Don't just pass down the responsibility to school level when there is no government. 

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

I don't have schooling age children or grand children, so cannot confirm this. Don't parent has an avenue to report such issues or even if they are having problems with the teaching staff? MOE not accessible to parents? All reports should be officially registered. If found any case not properly handled, officer and immediate supervisors will be held responsible.  Don't just pass down the responsibility to school level when there is no government. 

I'm not sure if there is an "avenue" via the MOE to step outside of the school chain of command (if that is the right concept) 

But as you can see from what Turboflat4 has said in an earlier post - all too often such things rely / depend upon the level of knowledge, the "skill" with words, the way that the parent approaches the issue. 

People that are very well versed, with great research and critical thinking skills will find those solutions and get a great outcome.  People that may not be so well educated, don't have the same sorts of talents don't do so well. 

In general, I've found that putting in place "programmes" and "feedback channels" is something that Singapore does very very well.  Making those channels accessible to those that most need them, to those that don't neccessarily feel so comfortable writing emails and talking to officials is not something they do terribly well

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Darryn said:

I'm not sure if there is an "avenue" via the MOE to step outside of the school chain of command (if that is the right concept) 

But as you can see from what Turboflat4 has said in an earlier post - all too often such things rely / depend upon the level of knowledge, the "skill" with words, the way that the parent approaches the issue. 

People that are very well versed, with great research and critical thinking skills will find those solutions and get a great outcome.  People that may not be so well educated, don't have the same sorts of talents don't do so well. 

In general, I've found that putting in place "programmes" and "feedback channels" is something that Singapore does very very well.  Making those channels accessible to those that most need them, to those that don't neccessarily feel so comfortable writing emails and talking to officials is not something they do terribly well

Yes, the channels are accessible but there are different results depending on a few factors. 

I share an example of my cousin. Her son complained that he was bullied in school by a particular classmate, daily. What was the bullying? He will be called names like stupid, idiot and physically pushed.

He told his mum, my cousin. She say ok will get hubby to go school to talk to the form teacher. Later found that hubby not free or not bothered. So, pushed to/fro between mum and dad. Finally, got my aunt, their mum/granny who knows no England but can speak Mandarin to talk to form teacher.

Form teacher ask the bully's parent to be present. Not free/busy/outstation. Ding dong ding dong for months. 

Meanwhile cousin's son still gets the usual name calling and pushing around.

To-date still no change. Cousin will say aiya, kids friend/unfriend very common at their age. No fighting and no one getting hurt. Parents too busy or cannot take out 2 hours from 1 day out of 365 days to resolve a matter that may affect their son's growing up.

Machiam a norm. 

Cannot interfere. Will tell ppl MYOB, not your son.😳😔

I share this as the other side of the coin. Bullying is wrong whether in school and anywhere, including this platform.

The episode in this particular thread looks badly handled by the school especially the principal, the so-called highest authority in the school.

Will there be serious attention and approriate action will be taken each time a complaint is received from now onwards? From all involved parties?

Or will it take another suicide to wake up those in positions that can make a difference. Not only here but worldwide. 

Just my tots

Safe ride

Cheers 

• Praise 3