2021 Hyundai Elantra / Avante (CN7)

Carbon82

Neutral Newbie

Margins are on thing. But to skimp on such things would badly affect the brand. It is a short term gain. 

Kia K3 have almost the same Specs and are priced above 7k cheaper than the Avante. 

its more than just comparing to PI, if they added the bells and whistles into the elite model, im sure people would be more accepting. 

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Hreidi17 said:

Actually in this current COE trend, $90-$100k range has slightly lesser options..mainly Jap/Korean cars..Just to name a few such as Mazda3, Altis, Civic, City, Stonic, Cerato etc. Even Cerato Forte now also falls within high $80s to $100k.

With this price range, if you are slightly brand conscious, probably you may go for Jap cars. However in terms of features, I feel that the Avante will be able to have a slight competitive edge over the similar range/variations (compare apple to apple). Branding wise, come on guys, Hyundai/Kia are no longer like 10 over years ago which they were perceived as a car which will not last long

Coming from a previous Japanese car owner, and someone who used to shun Korean cars, I think I must agree, Korean car makers have came a far way. I was quite impressed with the build of the outgoing AD Elantra/Avante. 

After getting it, my friend who was also all along a Toyota Camry owner, sat in my car once, and he too go converted to get the Avante. 

I think if you are looking solely at prices and features, yes, Korean cars are value for money. Reliability wise, I guess I need to really own the car for a few more years to compare and comment. 

Are they good? Well, I think they are decent. 

Are they value for money? Yes, before. But with the pricing for the new Avante, I think they lost a little on the price edge. But yes, you still get more features for the same price, but not much buyers actually go to that level of details. Pricing is the first thing which will send them to or away the showroom. 

My 2 cents worth. 

• Praise 1

On 9/11/2020 at 6:34 PM, teomingern said:

Choice is got lar... better or not, I don't know leh... since all the standard cars from the Jap brands are about the same... even the Continental brands come with detuned engines to meet the Cat A COE power limit and VES bands...

Exactly. I would certainly not consider Jap "better" (certainly not civic/altis, maybe Mz3 but then again there are quite a bit of negative feedback at that thread). And isn't Octavia using the same infamous VW GB?

But if it was me, i would wait for the new Tucson which looks very interesting....but will of course be more expensive...

On 9/14/2020 at 8:36 PM, Hreidi17 said:

Yes bro...By right the screen is 20.5" (10.25" odometer + 10.25" touchscreen)) but the one that is bringing in here is 1 x 10.25" odometer plus a non touch screen panel (think is 8")

Agree also there is no mood lighting for Singapore.

Highlighted to my SE about it and according to her..If we want all these features..The price will be higher

I guess to be fair none of the other cars in this price bracket has the "virtual cockpit". Of course in the advertisement they show the top "halo" model. And again,  to be fair, these advertisement are unlikely to be produced by the local AD and is probably material given by the manufacturer. 

9 hours ago, Hreidi17 said:

Actually in this current COE trend, $90-$100k range has slightly lesser options..mainly Jap/Korean cars..Just to name a few such as Mazda3, Altis, Civic, City, Stonic, Cerato etc. Even Cerato Forte now also falls within high $80s to $100k.

With this price range, if you are slightly brand conscious, probably you may go for Jap cars. However in terms of features, I feel that the Avante will be able to have a slight competitive edge over the similar range/variations (compare apple to apple). Branding wise, come on guys, Hyundai/Kia are no longer like 10 over years ago which they were perceived as a car which will not last long

They are not perceived as cars that do not last long. They are perceived as budget brand's

7 hours ago, Ahtea said:

Coming from a previous Japanese car owner, and someone who used to shun Korean cars, I think I must agree, Korean car makers have came a far way. I was quite impressed with the build of the outgoing AD Elantra/Avante. 

After getting it, my friend who was also all along a Toyota Camry owner, sat in my car once, and he too go converted to get the Avante. 

I think if you are looking solely at prices and features, yes, Korean cars are value for money. Reliability wise, I guess I need to really own the car for a few more years to compare and comment. 

Are they good? Well, I think they are decent. 

Are they value for money? Yes, before. But with the pricing for the new Avante, I think they lost a little on the price edge. But yes, you still get more features for the same price, but not much buyers actually go to that level of details. Pricing is the first thing which will send them to or away the showroom. 

My 2 cents worth. 

Pls dont praise them anymore so i can continue to enjoy cheap car.

The more you praise,the more expensive it is.LOL.....

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Kar_lover said:

I guess to be fair none of the other cars in this price bracket has the "virtual cockpit". Of course in the advertisement they show the top "halo" model. And again,  to be fair, these advertisement are unlikely to be produced by the local AD and is probably material given by the manufacturer. 

They have international brochures which show everything... and local brochures which are probably not ready yet... waiting to coincide with official launch I think... the local brochures are the ones to get... when new model comes in, it always international brochures first... so take what you see with a large dose of salt...

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Hreidi17 said:

Recently have been reading articles about Hyundai. In fact recent years it has rated one of the highest reliability in the world.

Take it with a pinch of salt for survey and articles from overseas. Everyone of them, I guarantee u, results very different, even if they are published around the same time.

That is not to say that Hyundai are not reliable in anyway. My first car was a Kia rio back in 2006.. it was a problem free ride even after 5 years with over 100K mileage when i sold it.

6 hours ago, Kar_lover said:

Lets see what the local AD brings in.. hopefully the virtual cockpit is there.

But again, id rather have nice analog dials if the virtual cockpit software is bare basic. Mazda owners are already facing problems with their digital cluster display, I guess LCD and electronics reliability is always a question mark in our local climate.

IMO, the modern car are over engineered with electronic gadgets and digital application. These have interlock to the mechanical shutdown for safety reason.

Car owners want a more luxury and electronic application to engine, horses, aircon, seats, steering, lanes watch, pedestrian warning and even tires pressure. These are good features but electronic breakdown on temp issue. Remember, all car's parts are supplied by the cheapest bid from the suppliers. There are more than 10,000 parts making it more prone to failure in layman term. 

As such, I would think if the car has minimum electronic interlock, the better reliability its get or less failure.

Edited by Tcx607
  • Praise 1

10 hours ago, Kar_lover said:

They have international brochures which show everything... and local brochures which are probably not ready yet... waiting to coincide with official launch I think... the local brochures are the ones to get... when new model comes in, it always international brochures first... so take what you see with a large dose of salt...

1 hour ago, Tcx607 said:

IMO, the modern car are over engineered with electronic gadgets and digital application. These have interlock to the mechanical shutdown for safety reason.

Car owners want a more luxury and electronic application to engine, horses, aircon, seats, steering, lanes watch, pedestrian warning and even tires pressure. These are good features but electronic breakdown on temp issue. Remember, all car's parts are supplied by the cheapest bid from the suppliers. There are more than 10,000 parts making it more prone to failure in layman term. 

As such, I would think if the car has minimum electronic interlock, the better reliability its get or less failure.

based on current generation of buyer, reliability can come second or last. 

The important what other can see & touch one must be modernized and best technological advance.. (also the badge)
what hidden or undercarriage like engine power, suspension, etc these can position at later priorities.. This is want i observed.. 

4 hours ago, Rickster said:

Lets see what the local AD brings in.. hopefully the virtual cockpit is there.

But again, id rather have nice analog dials if the virtual cockpit software is bare basic. Mazda owners are already facing problems with their digital cluster display, I guess LCD and electronics reliability is always a question mark in our local climate.

that's why,

actual with more and more using digital instrument panel, it should be about time sgcarmart to include information about the :

a) size

b) resolution

c) dpi

e) colour count

f) refresh rate (shld be min 120hz)

g) etc ??

As if manufacturer can give big size, but lousy LED panel with poor resolution or dpi, it make viewing more tiring versus analog type instrument cluster. 

unless manufacturer want to hide this info to prevent comparison ... so cheap price with cheap panel or high price for better panel... 

15 hours ago, Sktan10 said:

Pls dont praise them anymore so i can continue to enjoy cheap car.

The more you praise,the more expensive it is.LOL.....

LOL. Maybe i should start listing down a list of pain points after owning the car for 2 years?

To be honest, I did find a few areas which are not as good. For instance, within close to 2 years of ownership, I have went back for 2 faults so far - 1 for the infamous boot opening which KMC technician didnt know how to fix it permanently and I had a faulty headlamp levelling switch (used less than 5 times).

1 reason why i held back when i saw the new Avante, was not solely the price. But I feel the competency of the service center to rectify "high tech" cars, might not be there.

Will I still recommend a Hyundai? A yes and a no. If you are looking for a budget car now, maybe not. If you are looking for a car with good features, yes. 

The only brand which I will say stay far far away at all cost is probably VW. 

• Praise 1

13 hours ago, Ahtea said:

LOL. Maybe i should start listing down a list of pain points after owning the car for 2 years?

To be honest, I did find a few areas which are not as good. For instance, within close to 2 years of ownership, I have went back for 2 faults so far - 1 for the infamous boot opening which KMC technician didnt know how to fix it permanently and I had a faulty headlamp levelling switch (used less than 5 times).

1 reason why i held back when i saw the new Avante, was not solely the price. But I feel the competency of the service center to rectify "high tech" cars, might not be there.

Will I still recommend a Hyundai? A yes and a no. If you are looking for a budget car now, maybe not. If you are looking for a car with good features, yes. 

The only brand which I will say stay far far away at all cost is probably VW. 

May not be fair to VW lar... there are many happy owners who experience zero issues I am sure...

You can be sure that the Principal would have trained the technicians to fix any new features they introduce. Sometimes issues arise which are not in the manual cos they haven't been seen before, so some time is needed to collate enough data in order to find out how to fix it especially if it is an intermittent issue...

• Praise 1

On 9/15/2020 at 1:28 PM, Ilby38 said:

1. No ambient lighting 

2. Swapped to inhouse sound system

3. like 10.25 inch infotainment changed to 8 inch infotainment with buttons one the sides.

4. No digital key

i believe have more, but once i heard the 4 i just dont bother anymore 

this is a complete disgrace. they want to scringe even the smallest of profit by removing small value stuffs like ambient lighting? info screen also give small one.

can't they atleast leave the sound? that one also change to inhouse.

what a disappointment for that price.

↡ Advertisement