2021 Hyundai Elantra / Avante (CN7)

Carbon82

Hello everyone. After days of looking around finally decided for CN7 Elite today (sign on the dotted line tomorrow so anyone wants to scream STOP, now is the time 😀

My past two cars were Nissan Sunny and Kia Cerato Forte - both bought used. So this would be my first brand new car in over 12 years of living in Singapore ! I am so going to struggle with all the latest technology - so nervous as well as excited. Always driven manual stick in 21 years of driving - this would be my first auto - beat that! 

I looked at ususal three suspects at entry price point for regular sedans. While new Kia is visually very appealing but internally least impressive. Thier VES banding is B due to the old engine and that was the deal breaker for me. 

Mazda 3 exterior is rather boring but boy does it have a rocking interior! Very impressive and I would have bought the Estina trim if it was available in famous Mazda Soul red but I was told they have zero stock of Estina trim with no news of when they will get the next stock. Global chip shortage being blamed for this sorry state. 

Avante National Day $5600 discount turned out to be a great pull. The sales girl knew her stuff and gave me test drives on both my trips (other two didn't even offer it). I liked the CN7 exterior the best (those H tail lamps speak to me!) and while the interiors are nowhere close to M7, they are still decent. My only grouse was the central console long divider, I wish it was better plastic (if asking leather wrapping is too much). Thier A2 ves banding is on par with M7 despite M7 being mild hybrid, which was a big plus for me. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

6 hours ago, Joelhaw said:

@Ahtea  I saw one Lava Orange yesterday... first time seeing it... quite nice! the color is brighter compare to red.... some say red n lava orange not much diff... but in the shade... actually can tell the diff... not sure under the sun thou'

ya - in the shade/carpark i find not so nice, but out in the sun, wah, it steals my heart 😍

5 hours ago, Himanshu_g said:

Hello everyone. After days of looking around finally decided for CN7 Elite today (sign on the dotted line tomorrow so anyone wants to scream STOP, now is the time 😀

My past two cars were Nissan Sunny and Kia Cerato Forte - both bought used. So this would be my first brand new car in over 12 years of living in Singapore ! I am so going to struggle with all the latest technology - so nervous as well as excited. Always driven manual stick in 21 years of driving - this would be my first auto - beat that! 

I looked at ususal three suspects at entry price point for regular sedans. While new Kia is visually very appealing but internally least impressive. Thier VES banding is B due to the old engine and that was the deal breaker for me. 

Mazda 3 exterior is rather boring but boy does it have a rocking interior! Very impressive and I would have bought the Estina trim if it was available in famous Mazda Soul red but I was told they have zero stock of Estina trim with no news of when they will get the next stock. Global chip shortage being blamed for this sorry state. 

Avante National Day $5600 discount turned out to be a great pull. The sales girl knew her stuff and gave me test drives on both my trips (other two didn't even offer it). I liked the CN7 exterior the best (those H tail lamps speak to me!) and while the interiors are nowhere close to M7, they are still decent. My only grouse was the central console long divider, I wish it was better plastic (if asking leather wrapping is too much). Thier A2 ves banding is on par with M7 despite M7 being mild hybrid, which was a big plus for me. 

i dunno who will scream stop, but here i am to scream GO! 

but i guess you've gone already so i suppose i shall scream WELCOME instead 😛

12 hours ago, Joelhaw said:

@Ahtea  I saw one Lava Orange yesterday... first time seeing it... quite nice! the color is brighter compare to red.... some say red n lava orange not much diff... but in the shade... actually can tell the diff... not sure under the sun thou'

You got go buy TOTO/4D/Big Sweep bo? Maybe you really tio after your lucky encounter with Lava Orange.

• Praise 1

On 8/15/2021 at 10:31 AM, Himanshu_g said:

I own one and i dont think you will regret it.

Just remember to turn off the blind spot monitoring. Especially since you dont seem to have driven any hi-tech cars. It can cause you to have a car accident and it is my main complaint on this car. The good thing is it can be turned off permanently. Get used to the car's handling first if you want to turn it on.

As the mazda is a 2019 model, i dont recommend it. Its a good car to drive. But the infotainment system will not be up to par in 2021.

Edited by hansmith

17 hours ago, hansmith said:

I own one and i dont think you will regret it.

Just remember to turn off the blind spot monitoring. Especially since you dont seem to have driven any hi-tech cars. It can cause you to have a car accident and it is my main complaint on this car. The good thing is it can be turned off permanently. Get used to the car's handling first if you want to turn it on.

As the mazda is a 2019 model, i dont recommend it. Its a good car to drive. But the infotainment system will not be up to par in 2021.

Oh? Why have to turn off the blind spot monitoring? It's excellent for changing lanes when it rains heavily and your wing mirrors fog up...

3 hours ago, teomingern said:

Oh? Why have to turn off the blind spot monitoring? It's excellent for changing lanes when it rains heavily and your wing mirrors fog up...

Not sure if you own this car or not.

The sound the blind spot monitoring system makes is:

damn loud

damn irritating

damn panic sounding --> end up you panic (imagine you are new to this car and not used to it) and --> accident

Secondly, all along i have been driving without blind spot monitoring. I can still do it now.

Dont get me wrong. I think blind spot monitoring is a good assistance system. The problem is the implementation on the Avante CN7 is just bad and i think it causes more problems than it helps with. And, the problem is not minor. It can cause an accident!

Finally, the CN7 elite is an excellent car and the price is reasonable and you get a lot of tech with the car with good fuel economy.

But, the blind spot monitoring on it sucks. Turn it off. That's my 2 cents.

Edited by hansmith

1 minute ago, hansmith said:

damn loud

damn irritating

damn panic sounding --> end up you panic and --> accident

You can reduce the volume of the warning system. I set it at the lowest volume level and it is less intrusive.

58 minutes ago, antohalim said:

You can reduce the volume of the warning system. I set it at the lowest volume level and it is less intrusive.

I own the car. I know it can be turned off and i know the volume can be reduced (still sucks).

2 hours ago, hansmith said:

damn loud

damn irritating

damn panic sounding --> end up you panic (imagine you are new to this car and not used to it) and --> accident

Secondly, all along i have been driving without blind spot monitoring. I can still do it now.

Dont get me wrong. I think blind spot monitoring is a good assistance system. The problem is the implementation on the Avante CN7 is just bad and i think it causes more problems than it helps with. And, the problem is not minor. It can cause an accident!

Finally, the CN7 elite is an excellent car and the price is reasonable and you get a lot of tech with the car with good fuel economy.

But, the blind spot monitoring on it sucks. Turn it off. That's my 2 cents.

You should be able to lower the volume of the notification sound leh... it' should be inside the trip computer settings... set it to a comfortable level... yours might be at maximum level? No wonder it's panic inducing... haha... I own the Sonata which has the same blindspot monitoring system... lowest volume is pretty ok...

Anyway, I understand what you mean by having that sound irritate you... at first when I got my car 5 years back, I also not comfortable... the car had too many sensors.. everything also beep at you like a nanny... but slowly, you appreciate the features... things like TPMS, key fob battery low, washer fluid levels low, steering wheel not straightened, door not closed tightly, parking sensors, reverse sensors, blindspot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, and thte list goes on... but it's great the car warns you lar... don't know about you but I got used to it... and am still finding out new things the car warns me about... hahaha...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, teomingern said:

You should be able to lower the volume of the notification sound leh... it' should be inside the trip computer settings... set it to a comfortable level... yours might be at maximum level? No wonder it's panic inducing... haha... I own the Sonata which has the same blindspot monitoring system... lowest volume is pretty ok...

Anyway, I understand what you mean by having that sound irritate you... at first when I got my car 5 years back, I also not comfortable... the car had too many sensors.. everything also beep at you like a nanny... but slowly, you appreciate the features... things like TPMS, key fob battery low, washer fluid levels low, steering wheel not straightened, door not closed tightly, parking sensors, reverse sensors, blindspot monitor, rear cross traffic alert, and thte list goes on... but it's great the car warns you lar... don't know about you but I got used to it... and am still finding out new things the car warns me about... hahaha...

agreed - i kept all the warnings on despite my initial misgivings, and here 9mths on with the cn7, i dare say that it has trained me to be a better driver even - at least where signaling before changing lanes is concerned 😛 

Edited by bonjin
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, teomingern said:

Lowest volume is not ok to me. To each his own.

Maybe they should change the sound.

Right now, its a "panicky , certain doom is coming" like sound. 

1 hour ago, hansmith said:

Lowest volume is not ok to me. To each his own.

Maybe they should change the sound.

Right now, its a "panicky , certain doom is coming" like sound. 

Ha ha... sure sure... so far I think this is the first time I've heard someone say this of a blind spot monitor...

9 minutes ago, teomingern said:

Ha ha... sure sure... so far I think this is the first time I've heard someone say this of a blind spot monitor...

Maybe your sonata system is a different kind of sound from the new cn7.

1 hour ago, hansmith said:

Maybe your sonata system is a different kind of sound from the new cn7.

I don't think so... it sounds like panic stations also... 

2 hours ago, teomingern said:

the blind spot/lane keep warning beeps are ok for me, used to them liao 

the real panic-inducing ones are the collison avoidance beeps! but that's how they should be i guess 😛 

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, teomingern said:

As long as none of the sensors fail and give you a panic attack, the sensors are good and always welcome. 🙂

• Praise 1

17 hours ago, teomingern said:

I am fine if its a nicer sound that is not so glaring.

Why on earth does it need to be so panic sounding.

OFF!

Edited by hansmith
↡ Advertisement