2021 Hyundai Elantra / Avante (CN7)

Carbon82

5 hours ago, dannychoy84 said:

Found even stranger thing about this car. From LTA infromation: https://vrl.lta.gov.sg/lta/vrl/action/pubfunc?ID=FuelCostCalculator

=>Hyundai => CN7 Avante => Turbo / Supercharged : Yes 

From there, fuel economy data :5.4L/100km and VES banding A2 match what is declared in Singapore model specs..... Thought I found the answer why Singapore specs get such a good fuel economy..... Got very exited about this car!

.......Until  I checked Turbocharged model at Korea.....

The turbocharged model has even worst fuel economy = 12.8 km/l (7.8 L/100km)

(Compare to Korean model of natural aspirated engine = 6.5L/100km)

What is happening???  How Singapore model can get such a low fuel consumption figure?

i never believed the FC on paper. it's really BS and i've no idea how they calculate it.

personally if from this car i can get 13-14km/l with 50-50 highway & city i very happy liao.

• Praise 2

49 minutes ago, David325 said:

Saw one blue color infront of me. In real life, the rear isn't too attractive. The boot shape flat edge on the top part just looks weird.

my wife saw one just now she went "wah the blue colour very nice" hahaha she didnt mention about the look =D

5 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

my wife saw one just now she went "wah the blue colour very nice" hahaha she didnt mention about the look =D

wah, looks like it's becoming more common on the roads already. it's days of turning teenagers' heads are probably numbered 🤣

8 hours ago, dannychoy84 said:

Found even stranger thing about this car. From LTA infromation: https://vrl.lta.gov.sg/lta/vrl/action/pubfunc?ID=FuelCostCalculator

=>Hyundai => CN7 Avante => Turbo / Supercharged : Yes 

From there, fuel economy data :5.4L/100km and VES banding A2 match what is declared in Singapore model specs..... Thought I found the answer why Singapore specs get such a good fuel economy..... Got very exited about this car!

.......Until  I checked Turbocharged model at Korea.....

The turbocharged model has even worst fuel economy = 12.8 km/l (7.8 L/100km)

(Compare to Korean model of natural aspirated engine = 6.5L/100km)

What is happening???  How Singapore model can get such a low fuel consumption figure?

I dont think it is turbo charged. Must be an error somewhere. 

10 minutes ago, Ahtea said:

I dont think it is turbo charged. Must be an error somewhere. 

Typo?
Or the engine is so loud that it feels like there's a turbo blowing :D 

2 hours ago, bonjin said:

wah, looks like it's becoming more common on the roads already. it's days of turning teenagers' heads are probably numbered 🤣

Think many delivery this month. 

9 hours ago, therock said:

Bro, whatever they have on paper should be taken with a giant dollop of salt..

Get it for the features you like and know that the price is right for you.

Take the weight and power ratio into account and it will give you an idea of the potential FC too.

Given that it has a lighter body than the outgoing model, it should perform a bit better. But it's unlikely to reach those stipulated numbers. Be prepared to be disappointed if you trust them.. 

.... My question is why Korean model has so far different figures? Why Korean Kia also so much difference since using same engine?... Strange

Edited by dannychoy84

7 hours ago, Heartbreakid said:

There is no surprise. The previous facelift Avante in Korea has this new engine with CVT and despite with lower bhp, it has better performance and fc. Very much is due to the CVT transmission that helps the improvement in economy. Given the new CN7 lighter weight, the fc improvement would be slightly better.

Below from Korean brochure. Using Smartstream IVT also. Best fuel economy trim gotten 15.4km/l.

Singapore version gotten 18.5km/l =>20% better than Korean model.

image.png.96c532af56df266f4cd78b8412383915.png

Edited by dannychoy84

7 hours ago, dannychoy84 said:

It's from LTA web page ........  other data match as in local model brochure/website:

https://vrl.lta.gov.sg/lta/vrl/action/pubfunc?ID=FuelCostCalculator

=>Hyundai => CN7 Avante => Turbo / Supercharged : Yes 

Transmission Type: Continuous Variable (CVT)

Turbo Avante equipped with a dual clutch transmission. Take LTA data as a pinch of salt. 

15 hours ago, therock said:

Everyone loves FC, but I am saying if you are leaning on those specs as a major decision point, you may be disappointed...

Eg my car is touted to have 18 km / l and a CD of 0.25, but in reality, unless you only do Autobahn driving, you will never see those figures.

One single reading from a CTE stretch is not real. It's just a number to make yourself happy bro..

Above I fully agree. The good FC from a traffic-less and no aircon and no load mid-nite run on any expressway is just something to make you shiok as it justify your decision to get this car. But to judge whether your car has good FC or not you have to do tank average, and more than 3 tanks of fuel to be sure as the FC can be +/- 1km/L difference depending on whether the petrol kiosk attendant squeeze that few second more fuel after the first click on fuel pump.

Is like I cycle with my son and he bragged to his siblings later on that he can go 50km/hr but in reality his stamina sucks and I have to wait for him to catch up many times along the route, not to mention getting muscle cram on the leg.

And nowadays frankly speaking unless you are buying a big cc engine car that is 2L and above, all cars should be able to achieve 10-12 km/L easily due to much better engine technology. If it is 1.5L and below, then to me FC should not even be a consideration at all. You should focus more on whether you like other aspects of the car such as aesthetic look or functionality or not. If really concern about FC, just get a hybrid or EV car.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

All this talk of FC figures not matching what has been claimed by the manufacturers don’t only involve Hyundai. All manufacturers claims on FC are just a guide n as mentioned by some forumers here, it is achieved in optimal settings which is far away from real world situation. 

If u read Chris Tan’s Saturday ST review every week on the cars he reviews, none reach anywhere near the published figures for FC, so what’s new?

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, Spring said:

All this talk of FC figures not matching what has been claimed by the manufacturers don’t only involve Hyundai. All manufacturers claims on FC are just a guide n as mentioned by some forumers here, it is achieved in optimal settings which is far away from real world situation. 

If u read Chris Tan’s Saturday ST review every week on the cars he reviews, none reach anywhere near the published figures for FC, so what’s new?

I guess someone out there still has faith in the published specs....

Perhaps they can be used as a reference.. to compare between different cars, knowing that everyone prints these exaggerated figures 🙂 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

He had a bad experience with a Kia Forte (2009 model), switched to a G11 Corolla, is very happy with it, and has sworn not to buy Korean again.

Can you see where he is coming from now?

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, therock said:

I guess someone out there still has faith in the published specs....

Perhaps they can be used as a reference.. to compare between different cars, knowing that everyone prints these exaggerated figures 🙂 

2 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

He had a bad experience with a Kia Forte (2009 model), switched to a G11 Corolla, is very happy with it, and has sworn not to buy Korean again.

Can you see where he is coming from now?

Ya exactly, FC figures all manufacturers “exaggerate” ie publish optimal figures based on optimal conditions which are almost always not achievable n it’s across the board so don’t see why the fixation with Hyundai only. @Toeknee_33 thks for alerting us of possible hidden agenda!

• Praise 5

9 hours ago, Heartbreakid said:

Turbo Avante equipped with a dual clutch transmission. Take LTA data as a pinch of salt. 

I understand it's legally binding to provide true specs to LTA when have cars registered.

↡ Advertisement