2021 Hyundai Elantra / Avante (CN7)

Carbon82

8 hours ago, Spring said:

All this talk of FC figures not matching what has been claimed by the manufacturers don’t only involve Hyundai. All manufacturers claims on FC are just a guide n as mentioned by some forumers here, it is achieved in optimal settings which is far away from real world situation. 

If u read Chris Tan’s Saturday ST review every week on the cars he reviews, none reach anywhere near the published figures for FC, so what’s new?

5 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

He had a bad experience with a Kia Forte (2009 model), switched to a G11 Corolla, is very happy with it, and has sworn not to buy Korean again.

Can you see where he is coming from now?

It's legally binding to put correct specs to LTA. Those spec are stated in a car registration log. So, it should be true as stated.

So,  the question is what the local model different from Korean one?

Edited by dannychoy84
↡ Advertisement

5 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

He had a bad experience with a Kia Forte (2009 model), switched to a G11 Corolla, is very happy with it, and has sworn not to buy Korean again.

Can you see where he is coming from now?

I have not "sworn not to buy Korean", sir.

2 hours ago, Spring said:

Ya exactly, FC figures all manufacturers “exaggerate” ie publish optimal figures based on optimal conditions which are almost always not achievable n it’s across the board so don’t see why the fixation with Hyundai only. @Toeknee_33 thks for alerting us of possible hidden agenda!

It's legally binding to have true spec registered for car at LTA. And government will not easily give the VES rebate. There is a reason we seldom get VES rebate model on sale.

The real question here is: What exactly Singapore model specs and features that we yet to be discovered/announced and the difference from Korean ones?

Edited by dannychoy84

I tink all this fuel consumption thingy u guys can just take it with a pinch if of salt. In real life, its always -2 or abt there.

Like for e.g. if on paper/specs brochure is 15km/L, in real life on average is always 11km/l to 13km/L.

Not saying that on paper figure is fake. But i tink when they conduct the test, it is based on folded side mirrors and all mirrors down. That explains it.

Edited by new_user1988

40 minutes ago, new_user1988 said:

I tink all this fuel consumption thingy u guys can just take it with a pinch if of salt. In real life, its always -2 or abt there.

Like for e.g. if on paper/specs brochure is 15km/L, in real life on average is always 11km/l to 13km/L.

Not saying that on paper figure is fake. But i tink when they conduct the test, it is based on folded side mirrors and all mirrors down. That explains it.

prob no air con and very light footed on expressway also =D

2 hours ago, new_user1988 said:

And the driver most probably is a 50kg woman, not 100kg bui kia like us.

• Haha! 5

There's a standard test for different parts of the world... in the past, the test wasn't at all close to real world conditions... but the most recent test for Europe is supposed to mimick real world conditions more closely... I don't know which test Singapore uses though... 

WLTP: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.carmagazine.co.uk/amp/car-news/tech/what-is-wltp-worldwide-harmonised-light-vehicle-test-procedure-explained/

I think it's still quite unrealistic actually... it's still a lab test... although there's a real world driving component now...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

Just enjoy the drive rather than keep focusing on the FC. So if you get 18km/l then what? Feel good for a while but the drive damn boring. Spent $100K on a car then so bothered by the FC for 10 years. What’s the point?

• Praise 5

54 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Just enjoy the drive rather than keep focusing on the FC. So if you get 18km/l then what? Feel good for a while but the drive damn boring. Spent $100K on a car then so bothered by the FC for 10 years. What’s the point?

The questions is whether the person asking owns one or is merely shooting the breeze..

Maybe like Corolla owners, those guys who do own one are happily driving their cars. Sometimes a less active thread is not a bad thing. Less complaints, less questions, less unhappy drivers right?

• Praise 2

FC on paper vs real life NOT the main point here. No once car model you can get FC as good as on paper.  

The exciting points are:

- Singapore model has got much better FC  (20% improvement) compared to Korean domestic model.

- Turbocharged/Supercharged, with CVT as "leaked" from LTA record.

- With reference to its Korean model, Turbo/Supercharged gotten worst FC. But this Singapore model FC could be top of it's class, better than all natural aspirated one.

So, Singapore model must have gotten some very pioneer, advanced technology inside. Just very exciting to know what is under the hood yet to be announced/marketed. Is there big marketing/formal launch event to announce such?

Wondering is there anything to do with Hyudai setting up an advanced e-vehicle plant here? So this is advanced model on trial as part of the plan? .... This is Pure speculation. Don't "tekan" me if not the case ya.

Edited by dannychoy84

4 hours ago, dannychoy84 said:

FC on paper vs real life NOT the main point here. No once car model you can get FC as good as on paper.  

The exciting points are:

- Singapore model has got much better FC  (20% improvement) compared to Korean domestic model.

- Turbocharged/Supercharged, with CVT as "leaked" from LTA record.

- With reference to its Korean model, Turbo/Supercharged gotten worst FC. But this Singapore model FC could be top of it's class, better than all natural aspirated one.

So, Singapore model must have gotten some very pioneer, advanced technology inside. Just very exciting to know what is under the hood yet to be announced/marketed. Is there big marketing/formal launch event to announce such?

Wondering is there anything to do with Hyudai setting up an advanced e-vehicle plant here? So this is advanced model on trial as part of the plan? .... This is Pure speculation. Don't "tekan" me if not the case ya.

Bro keep smoking that stuff and enjoy your dream... don’t wake up 

there was a song in my time called ‘Dreams are my reality ‘ ... I wish I could stay in a dream too, so I envy you. All the best 👌 

thought of another song : “don’t stop believing “ 👍 

Edited by therock
  • Haha! 3

As long as your car does not have FC of a Lamborghini or Ferrari, why bother so much by it ?(unless you really drive a Lamborghini or Ferrari then nothing to say) Most importantly to me is the price, look and the performance of the car. 

Edited by Daniu82
  • Praise 1

FC is a consideration but only after many other factors like price, performance, aesthetics, safety features, specs etc

As I’ve mentioned several times, don’t see what the fuss on Avante’s FC is all about. All reports coming back including local tests shows decent FC. If there is a need to scrutinise FC, then it shld be vs the competition not against published figures n so far I’ve not read of adverse differences vs the competition.

If need to pick on Avante, I would say it would be the price but only cos it’s in A2 VES banding hence it shld be priced lower. However, I’m not in the camp of since Altis is price so much, Avante shld be lower. That’s simply not in my thinking at all. Just cos Altis is the benchmark, doesn’t mean it can’t be overtaken or equalled right? 

• Praise 6

Buyers with elderly parents using this car should bring them along. Although it's not as low slung as the Civic, this car sits lower than the older version. 

So those with weaker quads might want to try it out... there is a reason why we are gravitating towards SUVs, and the older buyers prefer to climb up than squat down... 

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, therock said:

Buyers with elderly parents using this car should bring them along. Although it's not as low slung as the Civic, this car sits lower than the older version. 

So those with weaker quads might want to try it out... there is a reason why we are gravitating towards SUVs, and the older buyers prefer to climb up than squat down... 

This avante is lower than previous elantra but better than civic. Even i find the new altis also lower than the previous altis. Dont know why nowadays sedan always like to low de? No wonder most people now buy crossover or suv.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1