Why is Ayer Rajah Expressway AYE instead of ARE?

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

source: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Ayer-Rajah-Expressway-AYE-instead-of-ARE/answer/Darius-Cheung?ch=99&share=38ff7f3b&srid=3GYJg

93b37179820bcac9e5efcd3ec401a6ca.jpeg&f=

So I actually asked Land Transport Authority, not expecting them to entertain such a Bo Liao (frivolous) question. It's good to know someone in the government actually has a sense of humour too.

==== Here's the response ====
Forgive our delay in replying to your 5 December email query but we did need
some time to find the source to answer your question. The acronym for
expressways is derived from the first letter of the first two syllables,
followed by the first letter of the last word.

Examples include:

East (1 syllable) Coast (1 syllable) Parkway (2 syllables – So E (1st letter of
1st syllable), C (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and P (1st letter of last word)

Central (2 syllables) Expressway (3 syllables) – So C (1st letter of 1st
syllable), T (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and E (1st letter of last word)
Bukit (2 syllables) Timah (2 syllables) Expressway (3 syllables) – So B (1st
letter of 1st syllable), K (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and E (1st letter of
last word)

Pan (1 syllable) Island (2 syllables) Expressway (3 syllables) - So P (1st
letter of 1st syllable), I (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and E (1st letter of
last word)

Ayer (2 syllables) Rajah (2 syllables) Expressway (3 syllables) - So A (1st
letter of 1st syllable), Y (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and E (1st letter of
last word)

Thus, the AYE became just that, rather than ARE. I hope this clarifies the
rationale. Thank you very much for asking.

====== UPDATE 1 (Jan 13) KPE is 2 highways! =======
"We wish to share that the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) started as two separate expressways in both Kallang and Paya Lebar. Hence, the acronym "KPE" was derived from the two destinations involved.

As such, the first letter of each destination (Kallang, Paya Lebar) and the first letter of the last word (Expressway) form the acronym."

====== UPDATE 2 (Oct 13) MC.. what? =======
Question: Why is the latest express way (Marina Coastal Expressway) is called MCE instead of MRE?

Answer from LTA: ".. acronym of Marina Coastal Expressway is derived from the first letter of Marina(M), the first letter of Coastal(C) and also the first letter of Expressway (E), hence MCE." ~~ (Feedback No.: 20131114-0246)

====== UPDATE 3 (Dec 13) MCE is MCE, because MCE =======
A new update from LTA.

"The acronym name MCE is chosen based on its location, just like the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE). The Marina Coastal Expressway is sited along the southern coast of Singapore, in Marina area, As such, we are mindful that the both the full name and the acronym name identified for this expressway should contain the word "Coastal" or its associated acronym "C" using its first alphabet/ syllabus to better reflect the locality of the expressway. Using MRE, which adopts the syllabus naming method, would sound less appropriate as it does not give the public a sense of where the expressway is sited"

Personally, I agree MCE is a better name than MRE, don't you? And LTA is right, it does give a better sense of where the highway is by reminding people that it's a Coastal highway in the acronym. Most of all, I believe it is appreciated that they probably gave the real answer and explain why MCE did not follow convention, instead of dodging it with an excuse.

Now I know why the scholar are paid so much le. 🤣

Cause they need to answer to curious ppl like us. hahahha. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12
  • Shocked 2
  • Haha! 10

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

MRE gets confused with Meals Ready-to-Eat. 

But then we have PIE. 

Conclusion is LTA suka suka one. 

Hahha. At least got some explanation. Better than they tell us, I set as what, you read as what. . .

• Haha! 2

3 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

source: https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Ayer-Rajah-Expressway-AYE-instead-of-ARE/answer/Darius-Cheung?ch=99&share=38ff7f3b&srid=3GYJg

93b37179820bcac9e5efcd3ec401a6ca.jpeg&f=

So I actually asked Land Transport Authority, not expecting them to entertain such a Bo Liao (frivolous) question. It's good to know someone in the government actually has a sense of humour too.

==== Here's the response ====
Forgive our delay in replying to your 5 December email query but we did need
some time to find the source to answer your question. The acronym for
expressways is derived from the first letter of the first two syllables,
followed by the first letter of the last word.

Examples include:

East (1 syllable) Coast (1 syllable) Parkway (2 syllables – So E (1st letter of
1st syllable), C (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and P (1st letter of last word)

Central (2 syllables) Expressway (3 syllables) – So C (1st letter of 1st
syllable), T (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and E (1st letter of last word)
Bukit (2 syllables) Timah (2 syllables) Expressway (3 syllables) – So B (1st
letter of 1st syllable), K (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and E (1st letter of
last word)

Pan (1 syllable) Island (2 syllables) Expressway (3 syllables) - So P (1st
letter of 1st syllable), I (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and E (1st letter of
last word)

Ayer (2 syllables) Rajah (2 syllables) Expressway (3 syllables) - So A (1st
letter of 1st syllable), Y (1st letter of 2nd syllable) and E (1st letter of
last word)

Thus, the AYE became just that, rather than ARE. I hope this clarifies the
rationale. Thank you very much for asking.

====== UPDATE 1 (Jan 13) KPE is 2 highways! =======
"We wish to share that the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE) started as two separate expressways in both Kallang and Paya Lebar. Hence, the acronym "KPE" was derived from the two destinations involved.

As such, the first letter of each destination (Kallang, Paya Lebar) and the first letter of the last word (Expressway) form the acronym."

====== UPDATE 2 (Oct 13) MC.. what? =======
Question: Why is the latest express way (Marina Coastal Expressway) is called MCE instead of MRE?

Answer from LTA: ".. acronym of Marina Coastal Expressway is derived from the first letter of Marina(M), the first letter of Coastal(C) and also the first letter of Expressway (E), hence MCE." ~~ (Feedback No.: 20131114-0246)

====== UPDATE 3 (Dec 13) MCE is MCE, because MCE =======
A new update from LTA.

"The acronym name MCE is chosen based on its location, just like the Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway (KPE). The Marina Coastal Expressway is sited along the southern coast of Singapore, in Marina area, As such, we are mindful that the both the full name and the acronym name identified for this expressway should contain the word "Coastal" or its associated acronym "C" using its first alphabet/ syllabus to better reflect the locality of the expressway. Using MRE, which adopts the syllabus naming method, would sound less appropriate as it does not give the public a sense of where the expressway is sited"

Personally, I agree MCE is a better name than MRE, don't you? And LTA is right, it does give a better sense of where the highway is by reminding people that it's a Coastal highway in the acronym. Most of all, I believe it is appreciated that they probably gave the real answer and explain why MCE did not follow convention, instead of dodging it with an excuse.

I will say your question is a bit boh liao BUT it's good trivia.  Maybe one day if I have to drive taxi and i fetch tourists i can ask them this...  make good conversation.

• Haha! 4

5 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Hahha. At least got some explanation. Better than they tell us, I set as what, you read as what. . .

Their job is to able to give you 1001 explanation that you have to accept whether it is making sense or not. Lol. No way they will tell you they are suka suka one even they are. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supercharged

I feedback on a road condition more than a month ago and no one ever came back to me nor the road was fixed. I think the LTA guys also get bored replying those standard feedback.

• Haha! 1

34 minutes ago, Soya said:

Wonder how scholars had to burn sleepless nights juz to find that answer?...

They are paid and expert in doing this de. Dont think they need to burn sleepless nights. Lol.

23 minutes ago, Xers007 said:

I feedback on a road condition more than a month ago and no one ever came back to me nor the road was fixed. I think the LTA guys also get bored replying those standard feedback.

Maybe you need to keep sending in your feedback to them? Or there are too many such feedback on road condition that they could not handle liao?

Supersonic
Just now, 13177 said:

They are paid and expert in doing this de. Dont think they need to burn sleepless nights. Lol.

U ask them to think of 1001 ways to squeeze $$ outta motorists, the scholars will hv a detailed report w mathematically complex analysis on your desk by first thing tomorrow morning

Ask this kinda bo liao question I'm not surprised they are genuinely stumped....lol

• Haha! 1

28 minutes ago, Xers007 said:

Complain till it is fixed.

If not, cc MoT & PM

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Soya said:

U ask them to think of 1001 ways to squeeze $$ outta motorists, the scholars will hv a detailed report w mathematically complex analysis on your desk by first thing tomorrow morning

Ask this kinda bo liao question I'm not surprised they are genuinely stumped....lol

I complained insufficient warning on change in speed limit in KPE.

Some LTA guy called and said LTA stat shows otherwise.

I TL. Told him that your stats don’t lie. BUT....
From user perspective, IT IS INSUFFICIENT WARNING.

Supersonic
11 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

I complained insufficient warning on change in speed limit in KPE.

Some LTA guy called and said LTA stat shows otherwise.

I TL. Told him that your stats don’t lie. BUT....
From user perspective, IT IS INSUFFICIENT WARNING.

Comprain department is loss making so run by peasants

Scholars are in the profit centres to generate $$ to pay for your Skillsfuture so that u can use taxpayer $$ to go learn bake cookies n pass to friends and relatives

So bo pian gotta suck thumb

1 minute ago, Soya said:

Comprain department is loss making so run by peasants

Scholars are in the profit centres to generate $$ to pay for your Skillsfuture so that u can use taxpayer $$ to go learn bake cookies n pass to friends and relatives

So bo pian gotta suck thumb

I used to bake cookies when I was teenager. No need skillfuture.

i want to take course on “How to be a pappy”

On 3/16/2020 at 10:04 AM, Volvobrick said:

MRE gets confused with Meals Ready-to-Eat. 

But then we have PIE. 

Conclusion is LTA suka suka one. 

Lol i guess maybe they had a hard rule once (1st 2 syllable) and now they dont care so much (all the new expressway break the rule)

↡ Advertisement