COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

15 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I misinterpreted it as SIA Group airliners slashed prices for flights to China. Lol. 

Already cut price.

Return flight to Shanghai. Normally $1500-$1800. Now $600 still no takers.

So bo bian. Cut flights.

Many MNC already sent memo to postpone trip to china until further notice.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 4

6 hours ago, BabyBlade said:

Chinese villages are cutting themselves off from the world with makeshift brick walls to try to stop outsiders from giving them the Wuhan virus

Chinese villages are cutting themselves off from the world to try to prevent the deadly Wuhan coronavirus from taking hold in their communities.

Sky News documented six villages about 600 miles from the epicenter of the outbreak, Wuhan, in the Chinese province of Hubei who had taken defensive measures.

Some erected tall brick walls to block roads, with signs saying "No outsiders allowed in."

5e2ffc0e5bc79c1007091252.thumb.jpeg.a81cb17719ea528adcfb7e089efb2e72.jpeg

5e30063e24306a0bd228d0f6.jpeg.7bd2968a0083d5cf96b061a09ccf9422.jpeg

One village had winched in a cabin to serve as a guardhouse at a checkpoint.

Villages in central China are going to extreme measures to cut themselves off from the deadly Wuhan coronavirus.

Images broadcast by Sky News, featuring the network's Asia correspondent Tom Cheshire, documented isolation attempts by six villages in the province of Hubei.

The villages visited by Sky were about 600 miles from Wuhan, the city in Hubei where the virus originated.

Handwritten signs suspended over roads into some villages visited by Sky News warned: "No outsiders allowed in."

"Our village built this," one villager told Sky News, referring to a tall brick wall across a main road. The villager said the wall was meant "to stop outsiders coming to our village, to reduce the number of people coming in."

5e30073662fa811c13424e52.thumb.jpeg.0db3c5f7fe14da7404ac478f69dcad7c.jpeg

In one case a portable cabin was winched into a village in Hubei to act as a guardhouse at a checkpoint. A local resident Sky News identified as Yan Yang said: "It's because of the epidemic. I don't know how long it will last."

"No one knows how the epidemic will process," the person added. "There's no policies from the top yet."

He went on: "I can't say I'm not worried. But no one has another method."

While the Chinese government has set up official checkpoints to screen people for the virus, these walls and barriers have been set up without the directive of the government, according to Sky News.

Another image of people building a wall across a main road circulated on Chinese social media on Tuesday and spread to Twitter.

Was watching CCTV4 and some other pro-china channels yesterday night....you wont get to see these sort of news reported...instead is all the ownself praise ownself type news which showed how good their containment efforts were etc....how the PLA in their spiffy looking uniforms assisted in the efforts and giving those patriotic loyal interviews..haiz..

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

35 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Some people pointed out that the seasonal influenza (flu) kills 650,000 people annually (https://www.who.int/influenza/spotlight), and in comparison, this 2019 coronavirus does not appear to have a high mortality rate at 2-3%, and the over-reacting by the authorities in the handling of this 2019 coronavirus has caused panic in the populace.

Is that view correct?

The wuhan virus is 

1. More infectious than influenza. 

2. More dangerous cos the mortality rate and pneumonia rate is higher (less than Sars. More than influenza) 

Influenza seldom kill middle aged adults in the community. They are usually the elderly or those like say very weak. 

• Praise 15

37 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

Some people pointed out that the seasonal influenza (flu) kills 650,000 people annually (https://www.who.int/influenza/spotlight), and in comparison, this 2019 coronavirus does not appear to have a high mortality rate at 2-3%, and the over-reacting by the authorities in the handling of this 2019 coronavirus has caused panic in the populace.

Is that view correct?

I don’t think sealing whole cities is a decision taken lightly.  It might have been ALOT worse by now If these measures were not taken

• Praise 6

I posted two days ago that the cleaner in our HDB block was daily cleaning the lift with dettol.

I found out this morning that it was our neighbour cleaning the lift early in the morning with dettol.

Much thanks to her and her community spirit.

• Praise 19

10 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

The wuhan virus is 

2. More dangerous cos the mortality rate and pneumonia rate is higher (less than Sars. More than influenza) 

Influenza seldom kill middle aged adults in the community. They are usually the elderly or those like say very weak. 

This hit the nail on the head. Exactly why the health officials and governments are reacting this way. 

Not to mention that we are in this for the long haul (until the middle of year at least).

Combine that with the potential that the virus could mutate such that it becomes more easily transmitted and more virulent. 

Note that I said that the governments and health officials should be the ones obsessing over potential effects and actions to be taken. 

The general population should remain calm, maintain good hygeine practices (wash hands with soap frequently), avoid crowded places and stop hoarding masks and other essential items. 

• Praise 5

24 minutes ago, Ben5266 said:

Already cut price.

Return flight to Shanghai. Normally $1500-$1800. Now $600 still no takers.

So bo bian. Cut flights.

Many MNC already sent memo to postpone trip to china until further notice.

All my business trip for Feb cancelled.

No further meeting scheduled till things are calmer and safer. 

• Praise 1

Any way to call out /summon those Wuhanese folks still lingering around in Singapore to step forth to undertake a health assessment? They being present on the island presents the risk for community spread...which I think is highly inevitable if this goes on..

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

I posted two days ago that the cleaner in our HDB block was daily cleaning the lift with dettol.

I found out this morning that it was our neighbour cleaning the lift early in the morning with dettol.

You praised the Town Council too fast liao...[laugh]

• Haha! 5

Official Statistics as at 31 Jan 8:53am.

China (including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan)

Confirmed: 9,720 cases
Suspected: 15,238 cases
Death: 213 cases
Recovered: 171 cases

Other Part of the World

Confirmed: 93 cases
Death: 0 case
Recovered: 8 cases

• Thailand: 14 confirmed, 5 recovered
  • Singapore: 13 confirmed
  • Japan: 13 confirmed, 1 recovered
  • Australia: 9 confirmed, 2 recovered
  • Malaysia: 8 confirmed
  • USA: 6 confirmed
  • France: 6 confirmed
  • South Korea: 6 confirmed
  • Vietnam: 5 confirmed
  • Germany: 4 confirmed
  • Canada: 3 confirmed
  • Italy: 2 confirmed
  • India: 1 confirmed
  • Philippines: 1 confirmed
  • UAE: 1 confirmed
  • Nepal: 1 confirmed
  • Cambodia: 1 confirmed
  • Sri Lanka: 1 confirmed
  • Finland: 1 confirmed
  • Angola: 1 confirmed
  • Praise 9

I think fear and paranoia are spreading a lot faster than the virus.

Wearing a mask really give a false sense of security. You cover your nose and mouth but what about your eyes and ears? You should be wearing a full body suit to be 100% safe. 😂

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 2

13 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

Your neighbour tok kong, kudos to her! 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

33 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

The wuhan virus is 

Thanks for pointing this out.

Was this ever educated to the public? Did not remember seeing something like this on official releases. Or only just implied?

Using this perspective, it is easier to get others to wear mask with this statement. 

Edited by pi3142

15 minutes ago, Neutrino said:

This type is one in a million

6 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Official Statistics as at 31 Jan 8:53am.

China (including Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan)

Confirmed: 9,720 cases
Suspected: 15,238 cases
Death: 213 cases
Recovered: 171 cases

Other Part of the World

Confirmed: 93 cases
Death: 0 case
Recovered: 8 cases

• Thailand: 14 confirmed, 5 recovered
  • Singapore: 13 confirmed
  • Japan: 13 confirmed, 1 recovered
  • Australia: 9 confirmed, 2 recovered
  • Malaysia: 8 confirmed
  • USA: 6 confirmed
  • France: 6 confirmed
  • South Korea: 6 confirmed
  • Vietnam: 5 confirmed
  • Germany: 4 confirmed
  • Canada: 3 confirmed
  • Italy: 2 confirmed
  • India: 1 confirmed
  • Philippines: 1 confirmed
  • UAE: 1 confirmed
  • Nepal: 1 confirmed
  • Cambodia: 1 confirmed
  • Sri Lanka: 1 confirmed
  • Finland: 1 confirmed
  • Angola: 1 confirmed

Look like still haven't hit the peak.

• Praise 2

5 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I think fear and paranoia are spreading a lot faster than the virus.

Wearing a mask really give a false sense of security. You cover your nose and mouth but what about your eyes and ears? You should be wearing a full body suit to be 100% safe. 😂

if everyone wear mask, isn't that make me who dun wear even safer? [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 10