COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

11 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

So, Professor Tommy Koh is right that Singapore is a first world country with third world citizen!

http://theindependent.sg/woman-kicked-out-of-the-bus-because-commuters-find-out-she-is-a-nurse/

I think that forms only minority of the people.. Just that when they did these things.. It gets magnified due to huge audience and also quite troubling.. Its like when people do bad things it get shared a lot of times and people critise these people.. When people do good things.. Often it get unnoticed.. 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

People say until civil servants are so like dumb shit liddat until like wah.. pte sector people so smart and have great mental agility. 

Honestly all the civil servants I know are intelligent people who know what they are doing. 

Whatever u can think of, 90% the civil servants also thought of the same idea lah. We are all Singaporeans. Brought up by same education system. 

Planning norms are just planning norms. Anyone who's an officer and participated in battalion or company exercise also know that it's just a supposition and totally unable to account for extraordinary factors. Yes many of which u wouldnt have thought of. 

Unfortunately this exercise only comes every 10+-15 years. 

I worked in both before.  Granted.  Same profession.

I think private sector is more "cowboy" in the sense do whatever works.  Hence they feel more intelligent because they are given the flexibility to do what they need to do.  Private sector measures success by how much profit they make.  It is the rare private sector that measures a dept as successful regardless of what it does or achieved if the revenue is in the red.

Public sector is more bureaucracy.  You do what the boss says.  Good or bad is another issue.  Public sector measure success by meeting budget and kpi.

That is why both sides dont see eye to eye.   

• Praise 3

21 hours ago, RadX said:

What’s good is in this thread , most cockroaches have been exterminated like that kusje, ashes.. now need

to exterminate one more

he knows who he is

May I know who you talking about?

1 hour ago, Albeniz said:

True.

And they dont have to wait till 5 years, no pandemic, and then throw away all the expired masks in the warehouse.

They could, say at the 3 year mark, send the masks to hospitals, polyclinics etc to use, and then replenish/rebalance the warehouse with newer masks.

No wastage at all in this way.

guarantee you sure got cb kia complain your idea , if implemented, it's a waste of taxpayers money

and likely will be in similar mould of people complaining about insufficient stockpile now...

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

22 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

So, Professor Tommy Koh is right that Singapore is a first world country with third world citizen!

http://theindependent.sg/woman-kicked-out-of-the-bus-because-commuters-find-out-she-is-a-nurse/

i dun really believe in all these IG or FB post when they start saying my sister, my mother, my father..... becoming more like story telling platform for people trying to be journalist.

"She also wrote that not only was she forced to alight by just one person but other passengers started pushing for it as well." 

ask yourself if you were one of the passengers, would you push for it? how many people in the bus will do that? i saw news of something similar in China cos one guy refuse to wear mask and was chased out of the bus, but i doubt the whole bus of singaporean has become monster. 

P.S. btw Tommy Koh to me is just a fake ang mo.

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Albeniz said:

True.

But obviously from this episode, we can see the grandma has not been sucking eggs very well.

True. Learning point lor. u need to accommodate more in planning norms especially since we have no manufacturing ability to make up the shortfall. Doomsday peppers on a national scale. 

• Praise 2

25 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I worked in both before.  Granted.  Same profession.

I think private sector is more "cowboy" in the sense do whatever works.  Hence they feel more intelligent because they are given the flexibility to do what they need to do.  Private sector measures success by how much profit they make.  It is the rare private sector that measures a dept as successful regardless of what it does or achieved if the revenue is in the red.

Public sector is more bureaucracy.  You do what the boss says.  Good or bad is another issue.  Public sector measure success by meeting budget and kpi.

That is why both sides dont see eye to eye.   

Ya lor.. Like when authorities keep add in regulations that keep make private sector feel that they are making more and more difficult for them to do work.. Sometimes at increase in expenditure because of additional of regulatory requirements in place.. 

• Praise 1

42 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Whilst admittedly there are 3rd World Singaporeans around, there are also a lot of selfless Singaporeans of whom I'm glad to say I've come across quite a few eg Neighbour offered to share masks with us even though he had 2 old folks and 2 young children when I remarked that I didn't have any, a forumer I personally know whose wife is expecting was told by his hawker that he could get rice from him if they run out etc

So whilst it is a good reminder for us to be mindful of our ways, mannerisms, behaviour etc, I prefer seeing the positive side of Singaporeans and choose to focus on this and hope that individually we can do our part so that collectively we can be citizens to be proud of like the Japs who have overcome many set backs.

Not trying to give excuses for the part on ugly Singaporeans behaviour but I believe one reason is that we have had it too plain sailing and hence some of us are complacent and selfish but like countries who have been through crisis some of which are major like natural disasters, the people become resilient after each experience and realise that it's only collectively and being selfless are we able to achieve more and not through individual, selfish ways with the every man for his own mentality. This Corona Virus maybe a good wake up call for us n hopefully build the resilience in us.

• Praise 12

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

People say until civil servants are so like dumb shit liddat until like wah.. pte sector people so smart and have great mental agility. 

Honestly all the civil servants I know are intelligent people who know what they are doing. 

Whatever u can think of, 90% the civil servants also thought of the same idea lah. We are all Singaporeans. Brought up by same education system. 

Planning norms are just planning norms. Anyone who's an officer and participated in battalion or company exercise also know that it's just a supposition and totally unable to account for extraordinary factors. Yes many of which u wouldnt have thought of. 

Unfortunately this exercise only comes every 10+-15 years. 

It's nothing personal.

The same human with same upbringing, education and intelligence, one planted in civil service and one planted in private sector, you will get a different work attitude and decision making process after 10 years.

The difference between a military officer planning a paper war and an MNC CEO planning a hostile take over is this:

- Whether the paper war is won or lost, he still gets to keep is job and wait for next promotion and bonus.

- if the hostile tale over of the company fails, the CEO's head is on the chopping board. So the amount checking and double checking to make sure all things run smoothly is paramount to his survival.

So everything the officer do is to make sure he does just enough and probably that bit more to get his better grading but never stupid enough to stick his head out to rock the boat so to speak.

If a private entity CEO rest on his laurels year in and out, he will not be CEO for long.

I have witnessed it myself in my NSF/NSman role in the ops and planning of brigade level equivalent in the navy....I am just count my lucky stars that I did not sign-on during my impressionable post-JC youth.

I reiterate, it is nothing personal when I say that it is the civil service culture and output that most people are complaining about and not the human being in that role.

• Praise 9

26 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

i dun really believe in all these IG or FB post when they start saying my sister, my mother, my father..... becoming more like story telling platform for people trying to be journalist.

"She also wrote that not only was she forced to alight by just one person but other passengers started pushing for it as well." 

ask yourself if you were one of the passengers, would you push for it? how many people in the bus will do that? i saw news of something similar in China cos one guy refuse to wear mask and was chased out of the bus, but i doubt the whole bus of singaporean has become monster. 

P.S. btw Tommy Koh to me is just a fake ang mo.

agree... I think that is totally fake news... why even post here to give such websites more hits. 

Personally, I would never treat a nurse like that, and I don't believe any sngaporean would. 

If it was a china sounding china man coughing like crazy, maybe... but I would probably just get off the bus instead of chasing him out. 

To chase off a nurse???

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

funny you brought this up... about education

There was this recent incident in my whatsapp group chat with my old classmates so same education. It was about whether it is good for our NTUC CEO to post an empty shelves post on his facebook on last Friday.

The people saying it was a good idea is all from public sector while those in private sector said it was stupid. The private sector guys suggested whatever messaging that needs to be done should needs to be done on site at the NTUC themselves so as to not spread such news, giving them more time to react and increase deliveries from warehouse. The public sector says the message is to stop people from going down to NTUC and getting shocked at the empty shelves. 

I think education is one thing, but where we work can shape us too. I am not saying who is right or wrong, just different. 

I only have SAF experience in reservist and I can tell you the culture in my SAF unit is VERY VERY different from my work place. Not sure about public sector as I never worked there. 

and to put it bluntly, not everybody can think at the same level, I am pretty sure 90% of the civil servants is waaay too optimistic. That is the reason why we pay our ministers so much. Seriously, this is not a sarcastic comment. I do believe that it is important to get the best people to lead so in time of crisis, he or she can analyse and make the right decision because not many people can do it.

I have a good civil service friend as well. 

At least for him, he does have a different pov on some topics or issues from us in pte world. I always argue with my friend when i meet him but actually it's just a different view point. 

Masks and ppe shortfall for a prolonged crisis or in terms of providing for an entire population which is still expected to function, definitely can't "mask".

Just that I don't agree on whether need to update the public on the procurement of masks at this juncture. Not everyone needs details on how the govt does it, just more reassurance. 

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

Maybe after this episode.. When this virus thing tide over.. We may start to see wearing mask is common when people are sick.. Coz all scared already.. 

Will be good if we are KS and stick to this habit. But singaporean can be quite extreme...either completely bochap or super kiasi. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Columbian78 said:

Hopefully we all learn something from this episode and stock up on some essential items when the peace time comes again soon. I did not experience SARs and I hardly remember any impact from the 2009 h1n1 but this 2019 ncov impact does hit me. 

For me, the first time I actually buy surgical masks was when I had a kid. So when one of us adults is even slightly sick we will wear mask in the house so as not to spread. I also took this habit to my workplace. I only have half a box when this thing started and fortunately my daily life activities is ok without having to wear mask. So I think we should all do some calculations and stock up an amount of masks when this thing pass. For example 2 masks per person a day for 3 months = 180 or 4 boxes which is around $30 during peace time. Masks seem to have a rather long shelf life so its just $30 over 5 years wasted if never use at all.

But as many forummers had shared, we should copy the good habits from the Japanese and Taiwanese to mask up when we are sick. So some usage per year is likely and the masks do not go to waste and people get sick less through transmission. I have sensitive nose and wearing masks when doing dusty hosuework helps alot.

One habit we also copied.. deny entry for cruise ships.. esp no Citizens on board.. unlike Cambodia.. so Tok kong..🤔🤔🤔🤔

↡ Advertisement