COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

53 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Bro, Come to China watch CCTV, CCP and all the propaganda all do until so swee.

They come up with many stories and many clips. They say so many nice phrases which I wonder if our PM and Minister come out to say those phrases. Wonder what we will react.

Example : 我们以定会战胜这场病毒战争,没有永远的冬天,没有不来的春天

:XD: 

That's why i have never spent more than 1hr watching local TV during my entire time in Beijing.

🤣

↡ Advertisement

11 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

The last paragraph.   Use the PLA barrack as quarantine centre.  Why do I sense some ulterior motive?

17 minutes ago, Arogab said:

Well, I don't mean to say they not civilised or their true color. I just highlight there could be a better way to handle. Did we turn away the cruise ship? If yes, then our Gov might be a little hard hearted too. But there is always a way to handle it and handle it better. I just see the situation and become soft hearted

There is a fine balance btw humanity and firewall Japan against imported cases.

It is not easy to find a location that is ready to house 3k ppl separately.

In Sg, ppl is send to quarantine village.  These ppl is supposed to stay in their unit until 14 days is up.

• Praise 1

13 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

After 6 mths of protest, the social atmosphere has turn acidic.  In addition, HCW insist govt close off its border.  This request is also shot down.

Without trust, no community is willing allow quarantine quarters to be set up within their community.

3 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

The last paragraph.   Use the PLA barrack as quarantine centre.  Why do I sense some ulterior motive?

Not bad idea actually to reduce social tension.

1 hour ago, Arogab said:

A little waxy, but when the alcohol spray on it. Not much different lah. Physically proven. I recycled my second mask liao

What sort of alcohol u spray?

The civil service has contributed greatly to nation building. Even if you have not benefited, your ah gong, ah man, lao peh or lao bu sure have benefited. So don't one bamboo topple a boatload of people.

In terms of leadership renewal, it's already quite progressive. Retirement age is largely adhered to, iirc. I do not see senior civil servant clinging on to titles of emeritus blah blah blah or mentor blah blah blah.

Every large organisation sure have all kinds of people. You think pte sector people all angels meh.?

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 3

31 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

There is a fine balance btw humanity and firewall Japan against imported cases.

It is not easy to find a location that is ready to house 3k ppl separately.

In Sg, ppl is send to quarantine village.  These ppl is supposed to stay in their unit until 14 days is up.

Well, somehow agree with you. It will just be on those who make the decision and not for us to comment too much. I just put across my feelings without asking much as this is a forum. If other places, I might not comment

• Praise 2

24 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

The civil service has contributed greatly to nation building. Even if you have not benefited, your ah gong, ah man, lao peh or lao bu sure have benefited. So don't one bamboo topple a boatload of people.

In terms of leadership renewal, it's already quite progressive. Retirement age is largely adhered to, iirc. I do not see senior civil servant clinging on to titles of emeritus blah blah blah or mentor blah blah blah.

Every large organisation sure have all kinds of people. You think pte sector people all angels meh.?

I'm juz glad our PM is not a recycled 94-yr old dictator that refuses to make way for young blood

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 8

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

When 1 million South Vietnamese were fleeing war and floating through entire South China Sea , from what I understand, sg also don't allow them to land on sg soil. 

SG always been conspicuously consistent pragmatist

Internal Moderator

Covid-19 outbreak: Govt, firms launch S$77 million package to help taxi, private-hire drivers
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/covid-19-outbreak-govt-firms-launch-s77-million-package-help-taxi-private-hire-drivers

cars_on_the_road.jpg?itok=cN9KTPzA

SINGAPORE — A S$77 million Point-to-Point Support Package to help taxi and private-hire car operators affected by the Covid-19 outbreak was announced by the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and Ministry of Transport (MOT) on Thursday (Feb 13).

The Government will contribute S$45 million towards the package, with the remaining contributed by taxi and private-hire car operators.

"The Government recognises that there is an urgent need for targeted assistance to drivers," LTA and MOT said in a press release.

The package has multiple components. The largest portion is a S$73 million Special Relief Fund that will help active full-time taxi and private-hire car drivers defray business costs, comprising of S$41 million in Government contributions and S$32 million from operators.

"The drivers in the point of point industry, the taxi drivers as well as the private hire car drivers, do describe a significant reduction in the number of trips they're able to make per day," said Senior Minister of State for Transport Janil Puthucheary.

"Some of our data suggests that it's 10 per cent. But I think there may be some lag, and the drivers that I've spoken to today, the numbers that they're showing me on the apps in terms of the rides they have logged over the last couple of days suggest a larger change."

About 40,000 eligible drivers will receive up to S$20 per vehicle per day for three months, contributed equally by the Government and operators.

"(For the S$20), we took reference from the type of assistance that we provided during SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome), adjusting for inflation changes and cost of the rent," said Dr Puthucheary.

This is about a 60 per cent increase from the assistance that was delivered by Government to the industry for SARS. And it's a reasonable number and also one that the operators can now match. And I think that has been some of the considerations for S$10 per day from Government S$10 per day from the operators."

Eligible taxi hirers will automatically receive the special relief through their taxi operators starting from Friday, while private-hire car drivers have to apply through their companies.

Private-hire car operators Grab and Gojek will provide application and disbursement details to their drivers within the next week, LTA and MOT said.

The companies that will be contributing to the package are taxi operators Comfort, CityCab, SMRT Taxis, Trans-Cab, Premier Taxis, Prime and HDT Taxi, along with Grab and Gojek.

Active drivers who do not qualify for the Special Relief Fund can still benefit from financial assistance by applying for the Government & NTUC Driver Care Fund. The Government will contribute S$2.7 million towards the fund, with trade union NTUC administering it over the next three months.

LTA will waive three months of operator licence fees, totalling about S$1.3 million. The authority will also delay the implementation of the upcoming Street-hail Service Operator Licence and Ride-hail Service Operator Licence.

The scheme will take effect from September 2020, instead of June.

"We appreciate that the point-to-point operators have leaned forward to support their drivers during this difficult period, even as their businesses are also affected," said LTA and MOT.

"This will allow point-to-point operators to focus their efforts on assisting drivers as well as addressing business and operational challenges during this period." CNA

For more stories like this, visit cna.asia.

• Praise 7

If we let this covid-19 runs wild (like a seasonal flu), will our hospitals be able to handle the spike in volume of patients with complications? 

In Wuhan, they are turning patients away, and I think many patients died at home. Can we really deal with this if it happens here?

I do want to be garang and face this virus like a seasonal flu head on, but I can't find a vaccine, and I'm not sure if I can survive this if it infects me.

I got family and workers to feed and the workers also got families to feed. I can't die now. I want to live and attend my children's wedding. 

Or should we approach this cautiously to preserve our life? 

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

In Wuhan, they are turning patients away, and I think many patients died at home. Can we really deal with this if it happens here?

Suspect that's why their numbers don't tally... so fewww cured/ dead 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1