COVID-19 Outbreak: 313 Confirmed Cases in SG, 117 Discharged, 15 Critical (18 Mar)

Carbon82

This is good. Saw this in reddit. An article from January 17 2005.

Adjustment Reactions: The Teachable Moment in Crisis Communication

by Peter M. Sandman

These responses are signs of what psychiatrists call an adjustment reaction. They are part of the process of adjusting to the new risk. Here are the key characteristics of the adjustment reaction to crisis.

1. It is automatic.

2. It comes early.

3. It is temporary.

4. It is a small over-reaction.

5. It may need guidance.

6. It serves as a rehearsal.

7. It reduces the probability of later over-reaction.

This is the teachable moment! Instead of criticizing or ridiculing people’s adjustment reactions to emerging crises, smart crisis communicators encourage the adjustment reactions, legitimize them, ally with them, and guide them.

It’s okay to tell people that they’re jumping the gun a little – that there is still time and you advise them to hold off on particular precautions until the risk gets closer, bigger, or clearer. It’s okay to recommend substitute precautions – precautions that are more useful or less burdensome or less likely to backfire than the ones they’re attracted to. It’s okay to remind them that nobody knows yet whether the situation will worsen or blow over, that they should try to stay poised to ramp up or ramp down their level of concern. That’s all part of guiding the adjustment reaction.

What isn’t okay is to suggest that people shouldn’t be worried yet, that they shouldn’t take any precautions or even think about what precautions they want to take until you give the word. It isn’t okay to tell people that their normal and useful impulse to rehearse is irrational or panicky. Healthy people are going to rehearse. They are going to imagine the worst before it happens and before we know for sure if it’s coming. They are going to take premature precautions. An adjustment reaction is a big improvement over being caught unawares. Don’t try to tell people not to have one. Help them have a good one.

Source: http://www.psandman.com/col/teachable.htm

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

33 minutes ago, Ho2786 said:

Indians eat curry

malays eat nasi lemak

I eating nasi lemak everyday now

hope to be Immune too

Punggol nasi lemak not counted hoh 

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, Solar said:

Only issue it's noisy neighbor. When my mom was warded, she said her next bed neighbor was groaning throughout the night.

Or maybe the neighbor pass away.. might be scary for some.

My wife and my premiums will shoot up from 50 year onwards.. since we are only a few years to go before our Big 50, I'm thinking might as well terminate early.. 

I see, that's something to consider.

So you planning to keep your plan at A ward for government hospitals? In fact, the premiums are also pretty expensive once we reach 70s.

Personally I don't think any coverage after 80 is of any use because I'll be too senile to enjoy life already,

30 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Singaporeans advised to defer non-essential travel to South Korean cities affected by COVID-19: MOH

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-south-korea-daegu-cheongdo-travel-advisory-moh-12462192

daegu "lockdown" must be air tight ...

when daegu people lost it ... all will cheong Train to Seoul ... 

if seoul is infected ... all hell breaks loose

Edited by Wt_know

5 hours ago, Jamesc said:

Wow Korea came out of nowhere to hit  556 cases is now the second-highest outside of China, apart from the Diamond Princess cruise ship in Japan.

Japan just ahead with over 600.

Frightening how its rises so fast in just days.

:grin:

Yeah, that's the meaning of an underdog :grin:

However, I'm pretty sure all Singaporeans are willing to give up the 'throne' for this event.

• Haha! 1

Coronavirus: India advises citizens against non-essential travel to Singapore

NEW DELHI - India issued a fresh travel advisory on Saturday (Feb 22) asking citizens to avoid non-essential travel to Singapore as part of attempts to stop the spread of coronavirus.

The advisory comes after one last month that asked people to refrain from travelling to China.

The new advisory, which is expected to curtail tourist inflow into Singapore, also noted that passengers on incoming flights from Kathmandu, Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia will be screened for symptoms.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/south-asia/coronavirus-india-advises-citizens-against-non-essential-travel-to-singapore

I really understand their concern and I think their travel advisory for SG should be made permanent, cos after COVID19 we have dengue, haze etc ...  [laugh]

or better still, rip up CECA .... [;)]

• Haha! 8

43 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Singaporeans advised to defer non-essential travel to South Korean cities affected by COVID-19: MOH

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-south-korea-daegu-cheongdo-travel-advisory-moh-12462192

If Singaporeans actually have to be told this, I worry about our average IQ. 

What the average Singaporean doesn't have control over, but the gahmen definitely does, is Koreans coming here. 

What's being done about that? 

• Praise 11

2 minutes ago, Blueray said:

Coronavirus: India advises citizens against non-essential travel to Singapore

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/south-asia/coronavirus-india-advises-citizens-against-non-essential-travel-to-singapore

I really understand their concern and I think their travel advisory for SG should be made permanent, cos after COVID19 we have dengue, haze etc ...  [laugh]

or better still, rip up CECA .... [;)]

India telling their citizens to stop coming here for now is good sense and prudent governance. 

Singaporeans always telling Indians to stay away is racism and xenophobia. Even more contagious than COVID-19.

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 6

58 minutes ago, Karoon said:

Iran's deaths started off with Chinese construction workers in a town called Qom. 

zuLdIi3.png

Orientals are being shunned . . . labelled 'virus', car vandalised ... in white country

• Angry 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

If Singaporeans actually have to be told this, I worry about our average IQ. 

What the average Singaporean doesn't have control over, but the gahmen definitely does, is Koreans coming here. 

What's being done about that? 

My daughter just cancel her holiday to Korea in late Mar yesterday. All booking are with free cancellation.

Now with this announcement hope the flight ticket cancellation fee can get waived off or from insurance.

• Praise 4

8 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Italy cheong liao, think will overtake SG by tomorrow. 

SK charging for number one position, challenging the defending champion Diamond Princess.

Japan falling back a little taking a breather , but looks set to throw everyone else behind for a podium finish.. 

Can Japan hold on to its 3rd position outside of China, or will Italy be the new kid on the block? 

@RadX, Stand by your new Italian name,  "Prosciutto Cotechino", might just need it anytime soon...[:p][laugh][laugh]

Italy has a lot of WenZhou ren

24 minutes ago, Camrysfa said:

zuLdIi3.png

Orientals are being shunned . . . labelled 'virus', car vandalised ... in white country

Australians are racist in the first place. Now with this, it will only become worse.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Fcw75 said:

Australians are racist in the first place. Now with this, it will only become worse.

hard truth and sinkies always said want to emigrate to downunder [hur] 

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2