COVID-19 II: 49 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore; Mustafa Centre among 3 new clusters identified (2 Apr)

Wildfaye29

Message added by kobayashiGT

1 minute ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Yah hope it will hit $15 per 50pcs

i don’t expect it to hit original $5-6 pricing

Agree. Difficult to be back to pre COVID-19 price cos so many countries want it. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

11 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

I notice many people like to talk on the phone in the public, or when they are in crowded places, without masks on. Some people talk like a Merlion if you know what I mean.

I reckon this can also spread coronavirus to unknowing people around him/her.

Some ppl still want to crowd the lift. Already go clear marking on the lift floor

yesterday i asked a couple to step out of lift as they tried to squeeze in than the intended number of pax allowed

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 3

I also think spreading via transient contact is possible, if the particular viral load is strong enough. This coronavirus doesn't need close contact to infect people, although the probability would be much higher that way.

We currently have more than 100 cases of unlinked cases which I suspect might have arisen out of either short-duration social activities, transient contact or contaminated surfaces. 

Above are just my conjectures.

• Praise 1

Just now, Thaiyotakamli said:

Some ppl still want to crowd the lift. Already go clear marking on the lift floor

yesterday i asked a couple to step out of lift as they tried to squeeze in than the intended number of pax allowed

Wait they spit on your face. :D

• Haha! 4

2 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

I had that kind of experience before.

My father was old and my eldest brother (unmarried) with serious stroke (can't move). I took both in and stayed with me until their last day. For they support my education and pocket money during school days.  Refused to send them to old age home.

My wife & children takes turns to look after them.   -_-

Respect you bro[thumbsup] but it's your wife that gets the biggest respect cos not easy for daughter in law/sis in law to do this. U married the right woman! And kudos to your children as well!

Only 1 small problem, your son support Man U, u support Liverpool right[:)]? This one u fail haha

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 8

15 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Guys (and gals - well my favourite gal here @BabyBlade lol),

Please note that this advice is purely from a personal perspective, and should, in no way, be construed an official recommendation. It's just something that I'm doing for peace of mind.

I'm going to be talking about protection of uninfected people here.

It has always been my stance that a surgical mask properly worn is adequate to protect the mouth and nose as portals of entry. N95 masks need a fitment test to be assured of proper function. And most lay people wearing N95s don't use them properly, so effectively, there's very little protection. Basically, if you wear an N95 properly, you will not be able to breathe normally, and you will almost certainly feel compelled to take it off within a few hours of continuous usage. If that.

So surgical masks are (honestly) good enough. Keep the N95 masks to the professionals who actually do need them (for high risk procedures on patients who are positive or strongly likely to be so).

Unfortunately, that still leaves the eyes unprotected. Now here's where I really get into the personal opinion aspect of things. I don't believe spectacles offer sufficient protection. And face shields (visors) may not be all that much better as there are wide air gaps. Droplets can still impinge upon the ocular mucosae with these. Their main purpose is to protect against splashes of body fluids in the medical context.

Getting good eye protection involves goggles that can form a good seal around the eyes. I have advocated this to my own staff in combination with an N95 when they do high risk work.

What can the lay public do? Well, again in my own private, personal opinion, swim goggles are a pretty neat idea. A snug fitting pair of goggles (that is watertight when you immerse your head in water) will protect your eyes against most droplets.

So what I am personally going to be practising is:

1) primarily social distancing. Avoid going out, avoid meeting people. This should be the default measure.

2) where it is absolutely essential to go out or meet people, I will be wearing a surgical mask and a pair of swim goggles.

Note again that this is not official advice in any capacity. To the best of my knowledge, no other medical spokesperson has advocated for this. I came up with this on my own as an extra measure. However it is instructive to note that there are healthcare workers in other countries resorting to exactly this (I only found this after I thought of the idea and did a google). For example, this: https://www.thelocal.dk/20200324/hospitals-in-denmark-buy-swimming-goggles-as-virus-protection and https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/03/30/portland-area-nurses-are-wearing-swim-goggles-to-protect-themselves-from-covid-19/

So that's what I plan to do. My ulterior motive? Well, it might seem silly, but maybe if others start doing it, I won't look so out of place, right? Less likely to be STOMPed or plastered all over SG Kay Poh. Ha ha. 😂

Again, please do not construe this as official, or even medical advice. It's just something that I'm sharing on a personal level. Entirely up to you whether you want to be as KS (both kiasu and kiasee) as me.

Tks bro for the personal sharing! Just 1 question, virus can go into ears as well right? quite difficult to cover this part up.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 3

Just now, Spring said:

Tks bro for the personal sharing! Just 1 question, virus can go into ears as well right? quite difficult to cover this part up.

I don't believe the ears are a significant portal of entry, at least they're not known to be. Honestly, I hadn't considered it.

The anatomy of the ear canal (not really straight in native conformation) and production of cerumen (earwax) means that there are natural barriers even before you get to the tympanic membrane (eardrum). I do not know if this organ has suitable receptors for viral entry, but I honestly don't think it's important overall. Mouth, nose most important, followed by eyes.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Spring said:

Very good excuse to put on ear plugs and not listen to the wify. 

• Haha! 5

Supercharged
3 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Maybe that's why govt don't want lockdown.

One thing Ah Trump said which I kinda agreed is:

The cure/solution cannot be worse than the problem

Haha, I think the above is only true if it is a non-health related problem.

For health issues, often the cure/solution is more troublesome than the problem.  This is why prevention is always better than cure when comes to health matters

Internal Moderator
15 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Guys (and gals - well my favourite gal here @BabyBlade lol),

Please note that this advice is purely from a personal perspective, and should, in no way, be construed an official recommendation. It's just something that I'm doing for peace of mind.

I'm going to be talking about protection of uninfected people here.

It has always been my stance that a surgical mask properly worn is adequate to protect the mouth and nose as portals of entry. N95 masks need a fitment test to be assured of proper function. And most lay people wearing N95s don't use them properly, so effectively, there's very little protection. Basically, if you wear an N95 properly, you will not be able to breathe normally, and you will almost certainly feel compelled to take it off within a few hours of continuous usage. If that.

So surgical masks are (honestly) good enough. Keep the N95 masks to the professionals who actually do need them (for high risk procedures on patients who are positive or strongly likely to be so).

Unfortunately, that still leaves the eyes unprotected. Now here's where I really get into the personal opinion aspect of things. I don't believe spectacles offer sufficient protection. And face shields (visors) may not be all that much better as there are wide air gaps. Droplets can still impinge upon the ocular mucosae with these. Their main purpose is to protect against splashes of body fluids in the medical context.

Getting good eye protection involves goggles that can form a good seal around the eyes. I have advocated this to my own staff in combination with an N95 when they do high risk work.

What can the lay public do? Well, again in my own private, personal opinion, swim goggles are a pretty neat idea. A snug fitting pair of goggles (that is watertight when you immerse your head in water) will protect your eyes against most droplets.

So what I am personally going to be practising is:

1) primarily social distancing. Avoid going out, avoid meeting people. This should be the default measure.

2) where it is absolutely essential to go out or meet people, I will be wearing a surgical mask and a pair of swim goggles.

Note again that this is not official advice in any capacity. To the best of my knowledge, no other medical spokesperson has advocated for this. I came up with this on my own as an extra measure. However it is instructive to note that there are healthcare workers in other countries resorting to exactly this (I only found this after I thought of the idea and did a google). For example, this: https://www.thelocal.dk/20200324/hospitals-in-denmark-buy-swimming-goggles-as-virus-protection and https://www.wweek.com/news/2020/03/30/portland-area-nurses-are-wearing-swim-goggles-to-protect-themselves-from-covid-19/

So that's what I plan to do. My ulterior motive? Well, it might seem silly, but maybe if others start doing it, I won't look so out of place, right? Less likely to be STOMPed or plastered all over SG Kay Poh. Ha ha. 😂

Again, please do not construe this as official, or even medical advice. It's just something that I'm sharing on a personal level. Entirely up to you whether you want to be as KS (both kiasu and kiasee) as me.

OHHH. Now i know why some of the anime I watch when I was young wear googles.

Obito_Uchiha.png

Now it all makes sense.

• Haha! 4

48 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Should continue to drop as China rams up production. No need to stock up. 

No need stock up maybe... but whole world wants mask atm ... this kind of stock is coz of orders placed in Feb when everyone thot Chinese virus cannot spread in AMDK country... price wont come down anytime soon

• Praise 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, Mockngbrd said:

As I see it, this fully paid medical treatment they are providing is a privilege, not an entitlement. If everyone thinking same as you, gg liao. 

And that's the problem.  When people see privilege = entitlement.

Anyway the free medical treatment is the least of my thoughts for now.  Where I work, while I am not sure for all HCW, we are banned from overseas travel for now.  Meaning even if we did not get any SHN or disease, if it was found we sneaked across the border even to pump petrol, disciplinary action might still be taken - maybe not true but I am not going to test it.

Edited by Philipkee

5 hours ago, Tkseah said:

I had the same question last week.. end up went for a quick 10min cut.. as least the guy wearing mask.. hopefully I'll be ok..

The hair stylists have to take that risk many times a day coming into close contact with numerous customers, they would be crazy not to wear a mask.  

If G closed all hair salon, who is going to cut my hair?  

To minimize risk, maybe I go botak later.  😂

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

Internal Moderator
3 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

The hair stylists have to take that risk many times a day coming into close contact with numerous customers, they would be crazy not to wear a mask.  

If G closed all hair salon, who is going to cut my hair?  

To minimize risk, maybe I go botak later.  😂

go ekin cheng.

Ekin1.jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 6

1 hour ago, Silver_blade said:

Agree. Difficult to be back to pre COVID-19 price cos so many countries want it. 

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

I also think spreading via transient contact is possible, if the particular viral load is strong enough. This coronavirus doesn't need close contact to infect people, although the probability would be much higher that way.

We currently have more than 100 cases of unlinked cases which I suspect might have arisen out of either short-duration social activities, transient contact or contaminated surfaces. 

Above are just my conjectures.

Actually we never know how transient is transient.  I was talking with my friend.  Maybe those unlinked ones caught in on public transport but the G cannot say it out.....

1 hour ago, Silver_blade said:

Not really.  See oil prices.  Now I looking at coe prices also.... hehe

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1