COVID-19 II: 49 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore; Mustafa Centre among 3 new clusters identified (2 Apr)

Wildfaye29

Message added by kobayashiGT

1 minute ago, Philipkee said:

I agree.  A ban.  Not advisory.  Cos without a ban, planes still fly.  People CANNOT GET REFUNDS because there is no ban by the govt.  

I am not saying refund should be a priority but to some people, not getting a refund is bad and they would take the risk.  At most SHN.

So a ban is needed.

The economy would take a very big hit.  Now the question is which is worse.

And lest anyone forget, masks are still not readily available commercially.

Finally I can wholeheartedly agree with you. Or rather we each, with each other. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Shocked 1

Singaporean work overseas and students study overseas all will be recalled back, so can expect more to come. However, hopefully they are young and strong enough to win the battle on no time.

• Praise 1

27 minutes ago, Ho2786 said:

this is the end

if everyday have 50 cases

in 30 days, no more ICU beds.

For infectious disease like COVID19, most patients go straight into negative pressure isolation room.

If go to ICU, really hong kan liao

• Praise 1

Supercharged
13 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

You are not necessarily correct.

You assume we dont have ICU for other patients.  You see, even with covid-19 people still get heart attacks, road traffic accidents and such....

You also assume there are no other infectious diseases in Singapore at the moment.  There are but not really that serious in that they dont make the news BUT the patients still take the beds.

But you are not necessarily wrong also.

Actually, he said 50 days. I quoted 10 days to be conservative. 

I hope I'll never be proven right. 

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Finally I can wholeheartedly agree with you. Or rather we each, with each other. 

He finally stopped taking what he used to take 

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

By the way, I'm not sure if anyone noted this dubious and unfortunate milestone, but we already passed it before this latest jump: at the end of the epidemic, there were "only" 238 cases of SARS. 

We have now (un)comfortably surpassed that number.

I think we are more ready for it and SARS had 33 deaths out of the 238 and our frontline is still managing to keep a clean sheet so far - kudos to them.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
2 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

I think we are more ready for it and SARS had 33 deaths out of the 238 and our frontline is still managing to keep a clean sheet so far - kudos to them.

Don't jinx it! They still want election one!

Edited by Knoobie
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Ho2786 said:

close the borders to everyone including citizens!!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Ho2786 said:

...why are we not doing this  drastic action..i am wondering. If the numbers keep escalating we will run out of beds for the critical..unless we can improvise something Fast and Quick to accommodate the sick....

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

I am part of that frontline you allude to and I can tell you that every part of the system is overstretched. I cannot elaborate further. But we need the gahmen to take decisive action to stop at least the influx of imported cases. 

And the comparison with SARS can be misleading. While apparently less lethal, it is very, very much more infectious. The issue is preventing saturation of critical medical services. And other aspects of the response.

Every single case brings an added burden in the form of:

Testing 

Treatment, including isolation and escalation to critical and intensive care as needed 

Contact tracing

Quarantine of secondary contacts

And so forth. 

So while we can limit secondary spread from imported cases (*if* the SHN is perfectly enforced - and that in itself takes manpower), they still pose a problem to our healthcare system. Once we're at saturation, we can expect worse outcomes.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 5
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Ho2786 said:

You want Singaporean die in foreign land?

Supercharged
1 minute ago, Turboflat4 said:

I am part of that frontline you allude to and I can tell you that every part of the system is overstretched. I cannot elaborate further. But we need the gahmen to take decisive action to stop at least the influx of imported cases. 

And the comparison with SARS can be misleading. While apparently less lethal, it is very, very much more infectious. The issue is preventing saturation of critical medical services. And other aspects of the response.

Every single case brings an added burden in the form of:

Testing 

Treatment, including isolation and escalation to critical and intensive care as needed 

Contact tracing

Quarantine of secondary contacts

And so forth. 

So while we can limit secondary spread from imported cases (*if* the SHN is perfectly enforced - and that in itself takes manpower), they still pose a problem to our healthcare system. Once we're at saturation, we can expect worse outcomes.

It's rather a pity many don't see that this was much more infectious than SARS from the start. 

I wonder PM will eat back his word bout comparing it will influenza or common flu.

• Praise 3

Supercharged
4 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

Most imported cases are from EU and some from Amer. These people are definitely not low-middle income. Can survive one la!

10 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

尽忠报国

save country first, don't bring down country.

save green mountain, no scare no trees.

Farkeen close the border man. What are they waiting for? For number to drop by itself? 

JHK are more decisive than us. No if no but just farkeen hell lock the whole country at a date and time. Why are people still travelling in Mar? Wtf?

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 5

To put a literary spin on things, I see too many Pollyannas. In this thread and in Singapore society in general. 

What we need are more Cassandras.

The thing is that Pollyanna (from American children's lit), while endlessly optimistic was pretty much always wrong.

And Cassandra (from Greek mythology), while mostly pessimistic, was always completely right. 

The really sad thing was that the true doom-and-gloom prophecies of Cassandra were never believed. That was her curse from a god - to have simultaneously the gift of prophecy and the curse of never being believed. 

In fact, she was considered more of a Chicken Little (another literary metaphor). 

At this juncture, it would serve us well to tell the Cassandras apart from the Chicken Littles, and both of them apart from the Pollyannas.

• Praise 3