COVID-19 II: 49 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore; Mustafa Centre among 3 new clusters identified (2 Apr)

Wildfaye29

Message added by kobayashiGT

Just now, inlinesix said:

We need that  👍. Tho such test can be really expensive and labour intensive but it is worth if we can detect those who weak trace of virus early and care for them earlier.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

16 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Aiyo, no wonder people trying to sell those condos just behind the chalet :grin:

If cheap I get for my MIL.

:grin:

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

10 minutes ago, Silver_blade said:

Not sure how many that translate to per day (cannot remember when we started testing) but looking at the number of test per million ppl, ours is pretty impressive. Of course S.Korea still a way a head of us cos they reached that number in a shorter period of time.

"....He added that Singapore has also carried out around 39,000 tests for Covid-19 to date.

This translates to 6,800 tests per million people in Singapore, compared with around 6,500 in South Korea, and 1,000 in Taiwan."

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/parliament-coronavirus-cases-to-rise-as-more-overseas-singaporeans-return-home-says-gan-kim?utm_source=STSmartphone&utm_medium=share&utm_term=2020-03-25+14%3A24%3A11

That works to about 650 tests (~ 0.0001 per capita) per day, if we take 23 Jan as the first date (could be earlier than that, but our first case was confirmed on 23 Jan).

Korea is able to test 20,000 tests (~0.0004 per capita) per day. Difference per capita is about 4 times. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51836898

That's the advantage of living in a country with large population, as they have more labs and machines to test. If you read the same bbc article, their citizens can drive to any of the dozen drive-through centres to test, which is impressive.

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Weez911 said:

That works to about 650 tests (~ 0.0001 per capita) per day, if we take 23 Jan as the first date (could be earlier than that, but our first case was confirmed on 23 Jan).

Korea is able to test 20,000 tests (~0.0004 per capita) per day. Difference per capita is about 4 times. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51836898

That's the advantage of living in a country with large population, as they have more labs and machines to test. If you read the same bbc article, their citizens can drive to any of the dozen drive-through centres to test, which is impressive.

S.Korean's number of test is beyond what any countries can do. Very impressive. But we are not bad lah...6800 test per million people compare to Taiwan's 1000 per million people, which is already very good.

• Praise 4

3 minutes ago, Silver_blade said:

S.Korean's number of test is beyond what any countries can do. Very impressive. But we are not bad lah...6800 test per million people compare to Taiwan's 1000 per million people, which is already very good.

SK's testing capability is a big reason why they are not having a full lockdown during those days when they have massive infections. Trump is now "demanding" SK to ship coronavirus test kits to US. I use the word "demanding" because Trump has been very critical of Seoul, describing it as a wealthy freeloader that benefits from the stationing of U.S. troops on its soil, without paying its fair share... hence payback time....

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged
48 minutes ago, Ho2786 said:

government already said they not paying lah.

you still its staycation is it ?

the room service charges will bankrupt us lah.

one fat Kim and one fat Trump is enough lah.

Oh really? Missed that news.

Turbocharged
22 minutes ago, Silver_blade said:

Indonesia will be bad. I just hope we will see too many indon trying to sneak into Singapore, Malaysia or Aust.

How to sneak in leh? You got lobang?

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Solar said:

Are we being too soft and nice to these people, risking infection to the vast majority in SG?

Even the latest threat about footing their own medical bills if non compliant is rather weak.

I know of someone who is still in USA traveling for holiday and meeting his business associates there. Ownself above the rest.

And he can definitely afford the medical bills if kenna.

Heard that this week sch reopen alot of cb parents who return from overseas didn't declare and still send their kids to sch. Teachers were able to find out the truth by asking the kids to share their "holiday activities" with the class. Some kids admitted parents told them to keep quiet. Kids got quarantined immediately and parents contacted. Probably going to come out in news sooner or later once they round up all the cb parents.

Edited by Jellandross
  • Praise 5
  • Angry 4
  • Shocked 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

1st suspected case in Singapore is 4th Jan.

High number of test can only be done when RTK has been developed.

Traditional PCR test will take at least 4hrs to know the result.

1 minute ago, Weez911 said:

SK's testing capability is a big reason why they are not having a full lockdown during those days when they have massive infections. Trump is now "demanding" SK to ship coronavirus test kits to US.....

US would have been ok if they had not cut their CDC's budget or take action earlier. They will need more staff who know how to do the swap even if S.Korea send them test kits.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

19 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

If cheap I get for my MIL.

:grin:

u seriously want to spend on a condo for MIL? R U SURE?

blue tent better right?! :a-m1212:

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Silver_blade said:

US would have been ok if they had not cut their CDC's budget or take action earlier. They will need more staff who know how to do the swap even if S.Korea send them test kits.

US has been accused of spreading this virus in China.  US military confirm got antidote for it

🤭

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 3

Turbocharged

Copy paste Reddit 

Just got back a few days ago, and now I'm under the SHN staying in a hotel. Just thought I'd collate some resources, experiences, and expectations to help those coming back in the coming days. According to the hotel I'm in, it's still quite a new programme implemented on 22nd March, so they're working out the kinks also as it goes along, but so far so good.

Arrival

-At the immigration hall, there will be a group briefing in batches by ICA officers. Forms, notices for the SHN, declaration, etc. will be made there. Once you're done, you get a lovely neon pink sticker and get to clear through immigration. Note that you have to declare where you're staying for your SHN.

-Note day of arrival is Day 0, so in effect, you'll be staying 15 nights in the hotel. MOM has a calculator here: https://service2.mom.gov.sg/shn/shn-calculator/

The day you get to "return to work" is the day you check out.

-NON-UK/US Students: Once you're through immigration, you're in a sense, free to make your way to your SHN at your own means. This is where you exercise your social responsibility and not head to any public places. Yes, Jewel is quite empty now, shake shack has not much of a queue... but please, no.

-UK/US Students: For those students returning from UK/US, gahmen will choose for you. According to the press release you get ushered straight into buses to go there.

Checking In

-List of participating hotels:https://www.singaporeglobalnetwork.com/docs/Hotel-Accommodation-Rates-for-Returning-Overseas-Singaporeans.pdf

-The reception and concierge should give you a thorough briefing as you check in. If you've taken up their meal plan they will give you the menu and arrangements. This would probably differ from each hotel. The hotel I'm in has very nice counter staff who offered to help buy some food/drinks nearby if they are free. However, remember the frontline people have other SHN people to deal with too. Be nice with them.

-Important: You CANNOT use the pool/gym, and no you cannot walk out of your room once you're in. So don't keep trying to ask them about where can you go. At my current hotel, the room card is programmed to be a one-time use card. If you get out, they'll know. Please don't go spoil market and do something stupid during this time.

-SHN Checks: I was told that officers might randomly come. Procedure is that they will call the room, and we will likely have to go down to the lobby to show ourselves (don't ask me why). Apparently the hotel is private property so they can't just show up at the room door. They will eventually head to the room of course if you don't answer.

I've not experienced this yet. I've only got the sms/location sharing text, to check where I am. However, if they come, I get to walk out of the room for some air at last, haha.

-Food will be placed outside your door during meal times. Trash placed outside. Laundry will be placed outside also if you need to get it done.

-If anyone wants to pass you stuff, they leave it at the concierge, vice versa if you want to send something out. Food delivery done the same way. Again, concierge staff will be used for this, so please don't overload them. 50 rooms doing grabfood at the same time is a little insane for them I think. Maybe setup some kind of telegram group or whatever to group order and try to help out the concierge. The delivery guys are allowed to walk into the room areas as far as I know, unless your hotel is more lax.

-No visits from family/friends whatever. There will be no personal contact basically. Again, as far as I know, unless your hotel is more lax. Please don't defeat the purpose of this SHN...

Note: This is based on the procedures so far on what I have experienced, and what has been briefed. I can try to answer some questions if anyone has them, but as this rolls out further I'm sure more procedures will come into place.

Cheers all, don't compare this to prison okay (source: been there plenty, but not as a resident). It might be tough, but hey use the time to catch up with people (free calls all day man, mine has free IDD calls too), study/work, watch stuff, exercise, whatever. Let's get through this together. Hang tough.

• Praise 5

41 minutes ago, Silver_blade said:

Not sure how many that translate to per day (cannot remember when we started testing) but looking at the number of test per million ppl, ours is pretty impressive. Of course S.Korea still  way ahead of us cos they reached that number in a shorter period of time.

"....He added that Singapore has also carried out around 39,000 tests for Covid-19 to date.

This translates to 6,800 tests per million people in Singapore, compared with around 6,500 in South Korea, and 1,000 in Taiwan."

https://www.straitstimes.com/politics/parliament-coronavirus-cases-to-rise-as-more-overseas-singaporeans-return-home-says-gan-kim?utm_source=STSmartphone&utm_medium=share&utm_term=2020-03-25+14%3A24%3A11

No wonder my taiwanese friend was telling me how she is very impressed by our level of detection thru a large scale testing even tho media in Taiwan keep saying how much better they are compared to Singapore.  She said lesser test will usually mean lesser confirmed cases....but she also said that Taiwanese really did a great job considering how close they are to China.

Now Singapore will be facing an even larger threat from the rest of the world....more exposed than Taiwan.

Edited by Silver_blade
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Jellandross said:

Heard that this week sch reopen alot of cb parents who return from overseas didn't declare and still send their kids to sch. Teachers were able to find out the truth by asking the kids to share their "holiday activities" with the class. Some kids admitted parents told them to keep quiet. Kids got quarantined immediately and parents contacted. Probably going to come out in news sooner or later once they round up all the cb parents.

my teacher fren said MOE isworking with ICA to find out who left SG. Then the school/teachers will call the students to tell them NOT to go to school.

Yes, CB parents. I curse them !! PUI ! 

• Praise 11

1 minute ago, Othello said:

my teacher fren said MOE isworking with ICA to find out who left SG. Then the school/teachers will call the students to tell them NOT to go to school.

Yes, CB parents. I curse them !! PUI ! 

A few of my son's classmates are on LOA from today.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3