COVID-19 II: 49 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore; Mustafa Centre among 3 new clusters identified (2 Apr)

Wildfaye29

Message added by kobayashiGT

53 minutes ago, Icedbs said:

NZ was one of the earliest to lockdown and close  everything.

I like the lady PM. She said she knows this will have a huge economic cost, but public health  has to always  come first.

I can only wish all the men leaders can be that decisive.

I think NZ is different. 

Economic cost is not that high cos they have a big friendly neighbour (Australia) when the situation eases. While we cant take anything for granted. 

And they are self sufficient for food and water.  Fuel might be an issue but things can be worked around once food and water and shelter is settled.

Very few countries are as vulnerable as Singapore.  Israel is.  I must say they have really big balls.

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

Haha...how is a T-rex costume be useful?

The police costume or uniform should be more effective.

Well, he DID get away in the end, based on the video clip... At least not arrested and jailed on the spot

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-cure-covid-19-bleach-cocaine-fake-news-12578050

Pls be calm and use whatever brain left not scared to death by fear/panic.

Covid-19 not near u at all but u can be dead anyways.

Keep the elderly informed too. Sometimes they can overnight become doctor themselves or one of their friends/family members became one. No end one. Actually no sick can become seriously sick.

Take care and keep well 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
9 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I think NZ is different. 

Economic cost is not that high cos they have a big friendly neighbour (Australia) when the situation eases. While we cant take anything for granted. 

And they are self sufficient for food and water.  Fuel might be an issue but things can be worked around once food and water and shelter is settled.

Very few countries are as vulnerable as Singapore.  Israel is.  I must say they have really big balls.

Well, did our economy and stock market fare any better just because we took some very moderated approach?

I don't think so...but I do know that our cases are still going up and those who are self employed or entrepreneurs are running out of income.

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

Reminder for everyone to STAY AT HOME. 

Make no mistake. When loved ones are removed from your home by ambulance because the virus has hit them hard, you are not going to be able to follow them there, sit by their hospital bed and hold their hand. You are not going to be able to pop in at 7.00 pm for visiting hours. They are going to have no one other than exhausted and brave hospital staff to see them through days or weeks of barely breathing through a ventilator until they either die or recover. They are not going to be well enough to text you.

You are not going to be able to phone the ward to check in on them regularly (staff will be too busy for that). During that time, they will be completely alone, while you sit at home waiting to hear whether they have made it through.

Imagine that person is someone you love dearly. Because it's going to be a reality for many in the coming weeks.

And if that person in hospital happens to be you, going through that ordeal completely alone, it would be nothing less than terrifying.

Please stay home and only go out if absolutely necessary. Social distancing is imperative right now for your family and mine.

Copy and paste to share, I did.

• Praise 13

13 minutes ago, Icedbs said:

Well, did our economy and stock market fare any better just because we took some very moderated approach?

I don't think so...but I do know that our cases are still going up and those who are self employed or entrepreneurs are running out of income.

Well, it was a gamble.  Look at it from the other side.  The economy did do a little bit better for two weeks to a month before the STHF.  If we locked down a month earlier what we face now economically would be faced a month earlier and our cases wont really go down since we will still be bringing our citizens back from overseas...  We MIGHT have a few cases less but that's all.

What really matters now is during that extra two weeks to a month of "complacency" what did we do to prepare ourselves?

I am not saying the govt made the right choice. I am saying they made a gamble.  And right or wrong we never know.  History will judge.

And to put it in another way.  Those countries that locked down aren't exactly much better off either.  We just dont hear much of what is happening or what it is costing.  We only hear the chaos from those who locked down too late.

• Praise 7

4 hours ago, bsswan said:

We have put in place a dry-run for WfH next week to check systems and procedures are suitable and in place..... I had been hoping to reach Easter without measures implemented but let's see what tonight's number looks like.

Over past 3 days, there are 131 cases. Hitting another 500 cases in next 9 days is the optimistic view 

The pessimistic view is next 6 days.

Better make sure WfH works.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Bro, you mean similar to this?

GTWkWwGl.jpg

:=B:

I dont know why the patience is executed by the MMOH, but personally I am not agreeable to shaming or making identity of patience known. There are positive reasons and negative ones for a person to tio the virus, so not fair to do it. However if it is known fact that the fellow ask for it, then by all means go ahead. 

But if you are referring to something similar to be done to those CB selfish and irresponsible parents, and if I can have my way, this kind of notice is just child plays. I can give them something more Gao lat Gao lat...-_-[laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Recruit Express still around? I heard of this recruitment agency at least two decade ago.

Recruit Express is still around. They are a 100% owned subsidiary of Hrnetgroup, a locally listed company.

Edited by Columbian78

56 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

If we locked down a month earlier what we face now economically would be faced a month earlier and our cases wont really go down since we will still be bringing our citizens back from overseas...  We MIGHT have a few cases less but that's all.

You didn't know about Italian hospital still overwhelmed with COVID-19 infected patients?    SG hospital is well prepared? ....200 or 500 more new cases? No problem?

• Praise 1

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/covid-19-lockdown-dorscon-red-rumour-false-govt-12578710

So many "zhugeliang" wannabes. 

As if ppl not stressed enuff.

Please, besides keeping safe distance and staying home if sick or go hospital if sicker, perhaps try zipping lips if no factual information from relevant authorities.

Want to trade mark that one is very smart to have predicted correctly when it happens? 😂😂

A fool is even considered wise when he/she keep mouth shut.

No false information pls. 

Take care and keep well 

Safe ride 

Cheers 

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
36 minutes ago, mikk123 said:

guys, i feel government should encourage people to wear mask. Government should start producing it. Look at korea and taiwan....they are in better control simply because every one is wearing mask. 

You so sexist.. there are gals around here hoh.

‘One last night of fun’: Revellers throng nightspots before closures, but merrymaking masks worries over shattered livelihoods

SINGAPORE — On Wednesday (March 25), diploma student Shane Lee, 19, who usually clubs thrice a week, headed to Zouk with four other friends for what would be one last night of merrymaking in a long while. 

“Although we could catch (the virus), It’s better than having to stay at home,” he said. “Because of this virus situation, everything is closed and we don't have anything else to do.”

It was their last chance to party late into the wee hours, before all bars and entertainment venues have to be shut down as part of the Government’s additional safe distancing measures to further reduce the risk of local spread of Covid-19. The measures will take effect from 11.59pm on Thursday and are expected to be in place until April 30. 

“It’s a bit sad that we’re not going to be here again (from Friday) but we’re okay with it,” said Mr Lee, who added that after the enforced closures, he and his friends would turn to drinking at the void deck or a friend’s house instead. 

Like Mr Lee, many revellers relished the final opportunity to head to the nightspots — most bars, clubs and other entertainment outlets were packed with customers at Clarke Quay, Haji Lane and Orchard Road on Wednesday when TODAY visited between 9pm and past midnight. 

Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/one-last-night-fun-revellers-throng-nightspots-closures-merrymaking-masks-worries-over

I am speechless ... 

• Praise 1
  • Angry 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Odyssey2011 said:

You didn't know about Italian hospital still overwhelmed with COVID-19 infected patients?    SG hospital is well prepared? ....200 or 500 more new cases? No problem?

My one comment on this.

The situation is very fluid.  At the point of decision making, american and european standards were the standards we all try to achieve.  Whether it be healthcare or fuel emissions.  So I THINK an assumption was that the west had everything under control.  After all, they are the ones setting the standards.

It's only now that we see its not very correct.

In a way, our world and way of thinking turned upside down in less than a month.

• Praise 3

Circulating on social media. Hope it's not been posted before, but it bears repeating in any case. I agree with every sentiment this gentleman has expressed. 

200 Ambulances! 

That is how many ambulances came ahead of mine Monday as I entered the National Centre for Infectious Diseases here in Singapore. 

[If you want to know about the behind the scenes on the fight again Covid-19 in Singapore, please read on]

Now back up a few hours. I'm on a work call when my temperature spikes and I can not think clearly.  A dry cough had started earlier that day. With Tylenol not controlling the fever, I head to a local clinic. Prior to the previous Friday I had been in Home Quarantine due to our family travels to Korea and Canada. Upon returning the boys and I had 15 days in isolation at home. During that time, Leslie came back from a business trip to NY. We had obeyed all orders to stay home as we were high risk, due to the travels. Now, sitting in the doctors office, I went over this with him. After giving the timeline and explaining my symptoms I was thrown into an experience like no other.

Within seconds of ending my story, the doctor jumped into action (which I am guessing is the protocol they must follow). I was rushed into a back isolation room while the staff closed the office for decontamination. I could hear tons of commotion, cleaning, and calls being made to a central body, the mall and the ambulance dispatch. 

I waited there for them to prepare my exit. The clinic is on the 3rd story of a mall. A back door lead me down a half lit back hallway that was sprayed with some disinfect cleaner. I was lead by the ambulance attendees down the flights of stairs and out the back door. They inform me we have two other pick-ups along the way. As we headed to the National Centre for Infectious Diseases, two more potential Covid-19 patients joined us.

Now, this is where is gets interesting. As we are lead out of the ambulance two others drove away, while there is a line of more behind us. On the ground there were X's that mark the spot where we are allowed to stand. One by one, the line moves forward for the initial screening and segregation. Right before we are about to enter, we are told "No pictures, no video". So I make my way in but now my fever is out of control (no meds for 6 hours). The first nurse quickly marks me "High-Risk" and a porter take me into the hospital, through the hundreds and hundreds of people. For every patient there was hospital staffer; nurses, porters, janitors, doctors, pharmacists and technicians. It looked like a war zone, except for the fact all the staff were calm, deliberate, organized and professional. 

The porter and I wind our way around the halls, where perfectly placed desks are on perfectly marked x's on the floor. Barriers prevent people walking in the wrong spots and signs mark who is where, and what is their status (high or low risk).  I am giving paperwork to review. No, not insurance. No, not credit card. They are only concerned with the virus. The questionnaire clearly marks on the page "Do not photograph or share this information with anyone..." so I will respect their wishes. All I can allude to is that the health care system here, is like no other I have witnessed. They are doing everything to ensure the safety of the citizens, protection of the economy and that they are going to what it takes to end the spread.

There are about 30 desk in my section, with different levels of people's illness, but the one thing we all have in common is that we are high risk. As the night goes on they call us to check out our lungs. An x-ray room is only meters away. Everyone gets one. If you are lucky, and your lungs are good, they take a swab right there and you are on your way. You get to go home and wait 12 hours for the results. If positive, an ambulance will come right away and bring you back. After waiting 6 hours, and after dozens of people making their way, the doctor comes up to me with the bad news. Lungs are infected, I'm heading upstairs for the night.

Now, this will be the third time I'm informed "no photos / no video". I'm taken to a private isolation room, where I'll spend the night waiting for the results of the Covid test. I'm first fitted with a computer on my wrist that attaches to the electrode to monitor the basic stats of oxygen in my blood (one of the major concerns for people with Covid). Then comes the swab. For people who scroll Facebook and have seen where the swab goes... yes...it hurts... it is not pleasant. If you haven't seen, well it goes in your nose and tickles your brain it seems. As I finish the blood tests I realized really what was around going on around me.

As I can't show photos of the room, let's just say it is one of the most clean, modern and organized hospital rooms I have ever seen. To get into my room though there an 'airlock' type room where staff come in, close the first door, and the second opens. They are all wearing disposals hazmat type wear from head to toe. Every time they leave, they have to go into the decontamination room that separates my room from the hall, dispose of all their protective clothing, wash and disinfect anything they brought in with them. This process is repeated over and over again, with each visiting staff member. The amount of protocol to just visit me, is something amazing.

Around 3:30am I call it a night. Tests are done, fever still high and the doctor confirms I have pneumonia. I'll find out in 12 hours if Covid is the cause.

The morning comes, and as it rolls on, I'm greeted by the nurses and the doctor through out the morning. Every time someone comes in, they have to go through the whole process of disinfection. The amount of protective gear they go through, just to support me is unbelievable. I feel guilty, as you hope that they are safe. As they risk getting infected themselves, ALL of them are cheery, calm and professional. I can't imagine the stress they are going through, yet none of them show it.

Well, it's 3pm and the good news comes in, the first test came back negative for Covid. I have never been happier to only have pneumonia.  But saying that, this disease is tricky. There have been cases where it hides, and with the state of my lungs, the doctors are taking no chances. Night two I am awoken for my second covid test at 3am. To fast forward the story, this test comes back negative as well. But with pneumonia, the doctor wants to take no chances. To see how my lungs are doing they bring an xray machine to me, in my room. Ok, now, if you have ever seen a mobile xray machine, it looks like a dinosaur with a crane neck. As the radiation technologist leaves, he then spends then next 10 minutes decontaminating it. And goes on his way. He was cheery and professional too. With hundreds of patients and dozens coming in by the hour... they are all keeping it together.

So I sit here, on day three. Heading off for the night. My next covid-19 test will be at 3am. I would like to say, I'm the lucky one. Lucky that I don't need a ventilator, and lucky that is just an oddly timed pneumonia. And with everything going on, the Singapore health system is ensuring my safety and the safety of those around me.

Now if you read to this point, I'd like to leave on this. To see first hand the chaos this is causing, the stress on the health system and the amount of work and supplies that are needed to treat patients and keep the medical staff safe is beyond comprehension. Living it first hand, I have not only a new found respect for all those in the medical industry (including the extremely important janitors and cleaning staff who are keeping the hospital safe), but also for the system itself. There is a reason people should self isolate, there is a reason why we should practice social distancing, and there is a reason why, if you are sick, you get yourself out of the general population. The system here in Singapore is beyond amazing to witness. But there is a limit to its capacity. Today they are in good shape but that is because of the measure they take to keep it that way. Of health systems that aren't as advanced, I can't see how they will cope. It was like a war zone on the first floor with the amount of sick people. Singapore is able to keep it managed and organized, but I don't see how other nations will.

For societies and people who are taking the social distancing as a joke, get your act together. If you saw what is going on the inside, you'd sober up quite quickly on the reality that our medical systems face. So stop posting garbage that dimensions this pandemic. It's real, it's intense, people are dying and the medical staff are risking their lives to save yours. 

Thank you to everyone who is working to keep us safe.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6