Some Dutch Engineering Students Built This Mid-Engine Shooting Brake From An Old Boxster

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Some Dutch Engineering Students Built This Mid-Engine Shooting Brake From An Old Boxster

Source: https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-boxster/some-dutch-engineering-students-built-this-mid-engine-shooting-brake-from-an-old-boxster/?fbclid=IwAR0Uk2nBKdPTcxw9wFFsvkeVBmBIwiG3ROAT-ksdb0_eBXoNBFXqEnLxOzA

message-editor_1583954959663-vanthulldev

Four students at the Fontys Minor Motorsport Engineering school in the Netherlands have built the car that Porsche is afraid to because it has too much awesome in one package. Porsche's Boxster and Cayman are already amazing platforms, and are quite easy to live with on a daily basis. I daily drove a Boxster for several years, and it served quite well. But if you have to carry more than a briefcase or a duffel bag, you might be hard pressed to find space for it in Porsche's mid-engine platform. That's why these students built what amounts to a Cayman Shooting Brake, and it is so incredibly great. I wish Porsche would build something like this right now.

https___api.thedrive.com_wp-content_uplo

The students began with a fresh 986 Boxster for the project because it's an inexpensive and reliable platform to modify. It's a well balanced chassis with great handling and a superb flat-six engine. Because the car is already an open-top design, the chassis itself is stiff enough to accept a hard top without issue. The team of engineering students worked with Van Thull Development to develop this car's composite bodywork. Up front, the car is fitted with 997 GT3 carbon bodywork, including a headlight update and new lightweight materials. Out back the car makes use of 991-style tail lights and a custom bumper and fascia. The rear hatch and roof assembly come from a Peugeot!

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com_the-d

The finished product looks fabulous, especially with the Miami Blau paint and black accent. This car looks like it could be a factory-built special edition for folks who enjoy Grand Touring across Europe with a full bevvy of equipment.

The best part is that Van Thull is already working on building this as a kit for your own Boxster hatchback conversion. Pretty cool if you ask me. Maybe I'll order one.

message-editor_1583954328193-vanthulldev

message-editor_1583954361526-vanthulldev

message-editor_1583954484313-vanthulldev

message-editor_1583954546115-vanthulldev

Any Scirroco owner looking for upgrades? 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

35 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Source: https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-boxster/some-dutch-engineering-students-built-this-mid-engine-shooting-brake-from-an-old-boxster/?fbclid=IwAR0Uk2nBKdPTcxw9wFFsvkeVBmBIwiG3ROAT-ksdb0_eBXoNBFXqEnLxOzA

message-editor_1583954959663-vanthulldev

Four students at the Fontys Minor Motorsport Engineering school in the Netherlands have built the car that Porsche is afraid to because it has too much awesome in one package. Porsche's Boxster and Cayman are already amazing platforms, and are quite easy to live with on a daily basis. I daily drove a Boxster for several years, and it served quite well. But if you have to carry more than a briefcase or a duffel bag, you might be hard pressed to find space for it in Porsche's mid-engine platform. That's why these students built what amounts to a Cayman Shooting Brake, and it is so incredibly great. I wish Porsche would build something like this right now.

https___api.thedrive.com_wp-content_uplo

The students began with a fresh 986 Boxster for the project because it's an inexpensive and reliable platform to modify. It's a well balanced chassis with great handling and a superb flat-six engine. Because the car is already an open-top design, the chassis itself is stiff enough to accept a hard top without issue. The team of engineering students worked with Van Thull Development to develop this car's composite bodywork. Up front, the car is fitted with 997 GT3 carbon bodywork, including a headlight update and new lightweight materials. Out back the car makes use of 991-style tail lights and a custom bumper and fascia. The rear hatch and roof assembly come from a Peugeot!

https___s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com_the-d

The finished product looks fabulous, especially with the Miami Blau paint and black accent. This car looks like it could be a factory-built special edition for folks who enjoy Grand Touring across Europe with a full bevvy of equipment.

The best part is that Van Thull is already working on building this as a kit for your own Boxster hatchback conversion. Pretty cool if you ask me. Maybe I'll order one.

message-editor_1583954328193-vanthulldev

message-editor_1583954361526-vanthulldev

message-editor_1583954484313-vanthulldev

message-editor_1583954546115-vanthulldev

I was all prepared to hate on it, but you know what? (Yes I'm channeling Chris Harris). 

It looks better than a Boxster. Much, much better.

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
6 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I was all prepared to hate on it, but you know what? (Yes I'm channeling Chris Harris). 

Coming from you, I think it gives a lot of accreditation. Hahha. 

• Haha! 1

9 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I don't think it looks bad, but I don't think it looks good either. The roof line at the cabin (right after windscreen) looks odd from the side. And the rear 3/4 looks odd too. I still prefer Cayman looks over Boxster and this.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
59 minutes ago, Hydrocarbon said:

I don't think it looks bad, but I don't think it looks good either. The roof line at the cabin (right after windscreen) looks odd from the side. And the rear 3/4 looks odd too. I still prefer Cayman looks over Boxster and this.

I can only say it does give a modern touch to the boxster. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

Actually shooting brake stand for what?🤔🤔

Originally should be 2 door station wagon. Like coupe/GT = 2 doors.

Now suka suka one.

PS the car just looks like grafting a Scirroco back-end to the Boxster. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Originally should be 2 door station wagon. Like coupe/GT = 2 doors.

Now suka suka one.

Ya. my first instinct is the backside looks like roc. Interested on how the rear interiors looks like with the hatch open. From the pictures, seems like only the rear window can be opened.

5 hours ago, Hydrocarbon said:

Well the Cayman looks much better than the Boxster, so I agree with that part. Something about the hard top vs soft top, and the lines.

15 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Well the Cayman looks much better than the Boxster, so I agree with that part. Something about the hard top vs soft top, and the lines.

Boxster only look nice topless especially Boxster spyder.

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

Some soft tops look good (even if their hardtop brethren look better), but boxster, with the top up, has never really done it for me. Except for the Boxster Sypder like what 👇 said

13 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Boxster only look nice topless especially Boxster spyder.

• Praise 1

Supersonic
On 3/20/2020 at 12:23 PM, Volvobrick said:

This is the perfect VAG parts bin car

↡ Advertisement