COVID-19: Lawrence Wong, Gan Kim Yong & the Multi-Ministry Taskforce

StreetFight3r

On 3/20/2020 at 11:09 AM, StreetFight3r said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/exhausted-dutch-minister-leading-coronavirus-fight-quits-12558254

Not meant to be a political thread. but just want to give thanks to the man in charge of overseeing the situation in sg.

The face of COVID-19 in Sg is that of National Development Minister Lawrence Wong. Maybe nt noticed by many before the task force was setup, surely well noticed by all now. Not an easy task to be the one delivering all the bad news every day. From dorscon orange, to the panic buying situation, to announcing all the new travel advisories, pleading with sgreans not to go overseas this period, taking questions from the press, being asked tough questions like will sg be seeing triple figures soon since 47 cases recorded, still kept a calm face throughout. speaks well, good english, measured response. stil cannot escape from all the negative responses from public saying wayang etc but majority of sgreans dont thinklike that...

lawrence wong has been seen as the main person overseeing all the press conferences instead of our health minister. sai gang warrior. i give credit where credit is due. it is a stressful job this period. wish him best of health.

http://theindependent.sg/lawrence-wong-gets-high-marks-from-netizens-for-coronavirus-crisis-response/

Screen-Shot-2020-03-18-at-11_45.44-AM.thumb.png.cad0fbdf9d546cc804fb5cc4f9510ee3.png

Singapore— National Development Minister Lawrence Wong, who co-chairs a multi-ministry task force specially formed to combat the coronavirus outbreak, has quietly been winning over many Singaporeans for how he has handled the crisis, with even normally critical netizens calling him “nuanced,” “measured,” and “better than the rest of the team.” People have even noted how the tech-savvy minister uses his smartphone as a tool during press conferences.

Some have even called for him to be the next Deputy Prime Minister, and there are those who have compared other ministers to Mr Wong quite unfavourably.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-18-at-11_18.43-AM.png.2ec8420c7dd2b074ab63fc5b0444948f.png

Screen-Shot-2020-03-18-at-10_27.30-AM.png.81d05c0fe46d4cc8a3c23311a9c377e9.pngScreen-Shot-2020-03-18-at-10_41.11-AM.png.755946172f75c4f95c44f22876e1c16d.png

Screen-Shot-2020-03-18-at-10_41.25-AM.png.695e5b7b4255bb0fd25010160d5b2e4a.png

Screen-Shot-2020-03-18-at-11_20.49-AM.png.01d1edf2efee104b23036a101478c28d.png

LW seems to have aged a lot

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

How cum can change nick one. I want to chg to theyoungjaffa 😶

Tell Mother Nature 

• Haha! 1

Reason was his was a name

yours is fictitious... I dun rem you looking like a jaffa anywhere 😂😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, RadX said:

Mine’s real. I’m Jaffa Binks. 

• Haha! 5

Turbocharged
On 3/20/2020 at 12:59 PM, yishunite said:

I think lawrence wong doing great job overall too

Sorry, I don't share the same sentiment.

He is doing a good job with his team of very capable people supporting him.  But to be great, a minister need to have foresight, guts and no fear in coming out with painful policies but could protect our public health. Empathy comes first, not economy, not what WHO says, not what his peers tell him.

The infected cases are going into double digits since last week and people are dying. If a minister is great, he would have prevented that. 

He is a good minister, he does a good job in reporting and trying to contain the cases,  and no doubt he is going to get some good recognition for his effort at the end of this crisis.  I certainly like him.   But a great job?  That's still very far off in my opinion and I am just being objective.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 7

19 minutes ago, Icedbs said:

The infected cases are going into double digits since last week and people are dying. If a minister is great, he would have prevented that. 

In a way most of these are imported cases.. where SCPR/work permit holder return home.. of cos some may belong to non essential travel groups.. and the children of Singapore are on their way back so I am prepared for a higher number of imported case.

Under such situation I don't think or believe any minister/minister to be can prevent all these.. I not saying he is good but things can get worse..

Minister/govt can do very drastic things even stop all travel but if citizen or people in this island still don't follow advisory it is not going to help much.. For example the TraceTogether app.. if most install it will lightened some burden on the contact tracing team especially is we expect the figure to grow.. question is how many did install?

let's all play our play to get over this.

3 hours ago, RadX said:

Its in the pants . 😜🤣

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Icedbs said:

Sorry, I don't share the same sentiment.

He is doing a good job with his team of very capable people supporting him.  But to be great, a minister need to have foresight, guts and no fear in coming out with painful policies but could protect our public health. Empathy comes first, not economy, not what WHO says, not what his peers tell him.

He is a good minister, he does a good job in reporting and trying to contain the cases,  and no doubt he is going to get some good recognition for his effort at the end of this crisis.  I certainly like him.   But a great job?  That's still very far off in my opinion and I am just being objective.

Not disagreeing with u but i somehow think the strategy to balance between economy and containment is beyond his paygrade and someone else decided that for him but he bo pian have to work with those condition

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, yishunite said:

Not disagreeing with u but i somehow think the strategy to balance between economy and containment is beyond his paygrade and someone else decided that for him but he bo pian have to work with those condition

His non verbal cues shows it quite a bit , the uncertainty and the jitteriness of the facial muscles

with that , not surprising he looks older due to the strain on those facial muscles

↡ Advertisement