How are dividends calculated?

45 minutes ago, Apple-Tree said:

Er ......... hardly heard pple doing a dividend play for US stock lor...

US stocks, generally are growth or visionary play lor.  You need to ownself find out what is a growth and visionary stock approach hor.

As a foreign alien, generally is looking to growth.

OK.  The 6% thing, are you talking about Forward Annual Dividend Yield ?

For US and many part of the world, the dividend yield is simply the dividend divide by current stock price lor.  If you stock price is halved, the yield should be 12%.

If you are into dividend play, SG best lor.  Also long as it pump 5%, everybody is happy.

I assume you understand what is a W-8BEN form ah ?

This form is a pain in the ass to fill, and your banker/broker won't be able to advise you how to fill. Need to keep tikaming until it gets accepted.

↡ Advertisement

quick question

ie: if capital and mapletree trust drop to $1 

buy and keep ... let's say price goes back to $2 in 2 years time and dividend is paid quarterly

so your dividend yield is calculated based on your investment of $1 per share or $2 at trading price? [sly] 

Edited by Wt_know

Congratulations to your far sightedness. You have made a capital gain of $1 + receive dividend payout as a passive income😀.

However, the capital gain of $1 is only potential gain until you liquidate. It could be either up or down. 🤣

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Congratulations to your far sightedness. You have made a capital gain of $1 + receive dividend payout as a passive income😀.

However, the capital gain of $1 is only potential gain until you liquidate. It could be either up or down. 🤣

everyday down ... must have steel balls to buy ... [laugh] 

11 hours ago, Kangadrool said:

This form is a pain in the ass to fill, and your banker/broker won't be able to advise you how to fill. Need to keep tikaming until it gets accepted.

Yalor, all these years, it is a phyiscal hardcopy lor.  Ask my to go Broker HQ to sign and submit wor.

Then I usually submit to the broker parent, a bank branch.  Branch pass to broker ...... you know ler.

So I keep a photocopy as template lor.  Just follow lor.

11 hours ago, Wt_know said:

quick question 

buy and keep ... let's say price goes back to $2 in 2 years time and dividend is paid quarterly 

so your dividend yield is calculated based on your investment of $1 per share or $2 at trading price? [sly]  

Wah, this one can write a book liao.

OK.  Tonight if free and not busy watching Youtube, I do a write up lor.

On Price, EPS, NTA, DPS, P/E, Gearing Ratio, Gross Margin, Book Value, FRS etc ......

On 3/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, Wt_know said:

quick question

If you want to feel shiok, use $1 as the denominator. 

If you want to buy more shares, use $2!

I use $1, unless share price drops to 50 cents, then I use 50 cents. Key is alway feel shiok... 😂

• Haha! 2

33 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

If you want to feel shiok, use $1 as the denominator. 

If you want to buy more shares, use $2!

I use $1, unless share price drops to 50 cents, then I use 50 cents. Key is alway feel shiok... 😂

yes sir! happy can liao ... do not lose sleep on it right .... :D

• Praise 1

On 3/22/2020 at 9:58 PM, Apple-Tree said:

Generally, if you are a foreign alien and have not been working more than 180 days in US. U qualify for waiver by submitting a W-8BEN form lor.

The form is valid for 3 years.

Whether you use SG stock platform or US local or foreign with US platform, still need to sign up W-8BEN wor.

Anyway, long time never play US, too volatile loh.  The heart poke poke ...... in the midnight of the night.

Then there are a lot of other sai fees, like local agent fee laaa .........

Lol you got me there on the heart poke poke. I totally get what you meant.. Could wake up in the middle of the night sweating hard and immediately go to my Etoro

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

On 3/22/2020 at 10:46 PM, Wt_know said:

quick question

Real life example.

I had about 150 lots of Mapletree Log trust average cost price of slight less than $1.  

Bought and held for more than 10yrs, recieved dividends for more than 10yrs

so my yield is calculated on $1 or $2 currently leh?

Recently sold about 50 lots averaging $2 to move into various other names which move up another 15 to 20% .  Maybe i will take profit on these and move into something else. 

Sometimes i wonder why i do that. I realise a lot of it is just for kicks.  Any good suggestions?  Or maybe buy back Mapletree Log Trust since i can buy back 20% more than what i sold together with the profits made. 

Lately its getting tougher and tougher to make money work without assuming higher risk.  Hai....... need to sell more Rolex to survive. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3