COVID-19: Singapore Airlines slashes 96% of capacity, grounds most planes

Yamapi

18 minutes ago, Wt_know said:

is the recent capital injection enough to burn till mid 2021? [sweatdrop] 

That's why you have to click on the link and do some reading. The header will not say much.

For now we are not seeing any job cuts for SIA but that doesnt mean they will not start to do that. Of course they will have to start holding talks with the affected employees and union about the job cuts if they were to plan to do it. I think it's inevitable. Such a big company with 28K employees.

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Blueray said:

SIA CEO makes $4.2m despite SIA incurring first full-year loss of $212m in 48-year history

https://www.onlinecitizenasia.com/2020/07/17/sia-ceo-makes-4-2m-despite-sia-incurring-first-full-year-loss-of-212m-in-48-year-history/

They will say he deserved the pay cos after so many previous years of profit making. If we really look back at the company's profit, what is 4.2m?

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

They will say he deserved the pay cos after so many previous years of profit making. If we really look back at the company's profit, what is 4.2m?

you cannot blame that guy for Covid, but I am wondering about the huge fuel hedge losses SIA took. 

I wonder what is the point of hedging, is it to minimize risk or to gamble for more profits??? Anyone financially trained can chip in? The fuel hedging rest solely on the CEO.... what was he thinking?

(edited)
22 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

you cannot blame that guy for Covid, but I am wondering about the huge fuel hedge losses SIA took. 

I wonder what is the point of hedging, is it to minimize risk or to gamble for more profits??? Anyone financially trained can chip in? The fuel hedging rest solely on the CEO.... what was he thinking?

Wiki can find answers...

Fuel hedging is a contractual tool some large fuel consuming companies, such as airlines, cruise lines and trucking companies, use to reduce their exposure to volatile and potentially rising fuel costs.

Could mean when SIA sign contracts to purchase the fuel in bulk at a time when fuel prices are high. Enter Covid19 the fuel prices have plummeted to all time low. This could be the loss they are talking about.

Edited by Watwheels

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Wiki can find answers...

Could mean when SIA sign contracts to purchase the fuel in bulk at a time when fuel prices are high. Enter Covid19 the fuel prices have plummeted to all time low. This could be the loss they are talking about.

I know what it means but after thinking about it, it seems to increases risks as when economy is doing well, u get fuel cheaper and make even more profits... of course when oil demand collapses u get doubly screwed. 
why did the ceo do such a thing?? So he can look better when times are good? Just stupid and crazy.

(edited)
38 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

yes, cannot blame the CEO for Covid

but CEO is responsible for everything ... yes everything in the company

did he/she make decisive decision to stop bleeding more than it should

did he/she make enough preparation for rainy days

did he/she had put in sufficient process and check&balance to mitigate risk 

yes .. that's CEO responsibilities ... don't tell me no blame culture and let's move on

in real world ... CEO gotta bow 90-degrees liao .... $4.2M salary is totally worth it if he/she do the job right

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

27 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I know what it means but after thinking about it, it seems to increases risks as when economy is doing well, u get fuel cheaper and make even more profits... of course when oil demand collapses u get doubly screwed. 
why did the ceo do such a thing?? So he can look better when times are good? Just stupid and crazy.

That's why you pay fuel surcharge when you travel. Risks are what they are. It's either a win or loose but who could have foresee what was coming? On hindsight ppl will say it's crazy but if everything went well it's major profiting and whoever is in charge get praises and a big fat bonus.

34 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Fuel hedging is to reduce P&L volatility.

12 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Maybe without him, they would have made a billion dollar loss?

his salary can be used to save many ground and air crew jobs ......

16 minutes ago, Blueray said:

his salary can be used to save many ground and air crew jobs ......

Without him, maybe many more ground and air crew might lose their jobs? CEO is a very important job!

You think a ship can sail without a captain?

1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

yes, cannot blame the CEO for Covid

but CEO is responsible for everything ... yes everything in the company

did he/she make decisive decision to stop bleeding more than it should

did he/she make enough preparation for rainy days

did he/she had put in sufficient process and check&balance to mitigate risk 

yes .. that's CEO responsibilities ... don't tell me no blame culture and let's move on

in real world ... CEO gotta bow 90-degrees liao .... $4.2M salary is totally worth it if he/she do the job right

Covid boh pian but everything else make sure answer for it.

otherwise just harakiri.

1 hour ago, Wt_know said:

will you fly? [sly] 

2020-07-29_100412.jpg

Ask @RadX if it's worth it first, especially the funeral part.

Definitely worth it for @Jamesc who will pay double for his MIL to take the flight.

• Haha! 5