Domestic Helper Literally Sews Dumplings With Thread After Employer Tells Her To Tie Them

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Domestic Helper Literally Sews Dumplings With Thread After Employer Tells Her To Tie Them

source: https://mustsharenews.com/domestic-helper-dumplings/

domestic-helper-dumplings-thread.jpg

Domestic Helper Sews Dumplings With Thread After Employer Tells Her To Tie Them

Anyone who has tried making dumplings at home from scratch, just like in Crazy Rich Asians, would know that it is no easy feat.

dumpling-1.jpg

The task is made all the more challenging if you are hearing about this food item for the first time.

So when a domestic helper was told to make dumplings for her employer, she had an interesting interpretation of this traditional dish.

dumpling-2-396x600.jpg

Yes, she literally sewed the dumplings up.

Employer told her to make dumplings, tie them tight

A Facebook post by Singapore Incidents revealed a hilarious conversation between a domestic helper and her employer.

dumppling-3-469x600.jpg

It seems that employer had requested the helper to make shui jiao, a common Chinese delicacy made with vegetable or meat filling wrapped within flour skin. Here’s what it normally looks like:

dumpling-4-600x600.jpg

However, for some reason, the employer used the Chinese words 水饺, which would obviously be perplexing for someone who can’t read Chinese.

Confused, the helper asked for an English translation, and her employer referred her to Google Translate.

She subsequently found out that she was tasked to make dumplings.

Her boss left her with a quick reminder to “tie them tight” so that they will not disperse when placed in hot water.

sumpling-5-2.jpg

Tying the dumplings up with thread

Something was obviously lost in translation, as the helper took out her sewing kit in the kitchen.

Taking her employer’s instructions a little too literally, she painstakingly sewed up the filling within the flour skin with black thread, similar to how one would mend a hole in a shirt.

Netizens amused by innocent mistake

Her humorous take on the dish garnered much attention in the Facebook comments.

dumpling-7.jpg

Many believed that the employer did not give her clear instructions, resulting in her harmless mistake.

After all, he did use Chinese words, and when he used English words, they were vague, for example “tie”.

dumpling-6.jpg

Be more understanding towards our domestic helpers

Ultimately, it does look like a good attempt for someone who hasn’t made dumplings before. One thing is for sure: The dumplings are definitely tight enough to withstand hot water.

Perhaps this should also serve as a reminder for employers to be understanding towards their helpers, as they come from a different country and different culture. Don’t unnecessarily complicate their lives by giving them instructions in a language they may not understand, or use vague terms.

Hahha. The domestic worker sure is cute. I don't mind eating those dumplings thou. *I will still pull a string on her. hahah.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 7

Even employer did not give her clear instructions, but the domestic worker should know that sewing thread cannot be eaten right? Also she sew until like that, even take out before eating also troublesome le?! [laugh]

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Even employer did not give her clear instructions, but the domestic worker should know that sewing thread cannot be eaten right? Also she sew until like that, even take out before eating also troublesome le?! [laugh]

need this.

s-l1000.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Hahha.

• Haha! 1

i am skeptical about this.

o a maid knows how to use google translate is not dumb

o since that was the first time she made dumpling, she MUST had use the recipe she found on the net. If so, no recipe on the net teaches to sew dumpling like she did

o she happened to have all the ingredients to make dumplings?

o since her employer asked her to cook something new, via whatsapp, instead of face to face, i assume she is a smart maid in the eyes of her employer. If so, she won't make such silly mistake.

these are just my opinions. I may wrong...

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, Fibo said:

o since that was the first time she made dumpling, she MUST had use the recipe she found on the net. If so, no recipe on the net teaches to sew dumpling like she did

o since her employer asked her to cook something new, via whatsapp, instead of face to face, i assume she is a smart maid in the eyes of her employer. If so, she won't make such silly mistake.

Haha. don't think so much. Maybe is just purely the maid cannot shape the dumpling. Cause i know you need to stain it with a bit of water on the wanton skin then it will stick one. Not easy. Maybe she tried a few times, then she improvises?

13 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Haha. don't think so much. Maybe is just purely the maid cannot shape the dumpling. Cause i know you need to stain it with a bit of water on the wanton skin then it will stick one. Not easy. Maybe she tried a few times, then she improvises?

Not only she improvises but also very creative. Lol.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Not only she improvises but also very creative. Lol.

If she is my helper, I don't dare to ask her to make me hotdog.

I scare my dog will be in trouble 😅

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118e86202475bb63b305

• Haha! 2

On 3/24/2020 at 1:35 PM, Fibo said:

I'm totally with you on this!

Looks like something staged for laughs 🤣

Hypersonic
On 3/24/2020 at 5:37 PM, kobayashiGT said:

If she is my helper, I don't dare to ask her to make me hotdog.

I scare my dog will be in trouble 😅

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118e86202475bb63b305

It happened before in a Hong Kong restaurant where the staff cannot speak English and the Swiss couple cannot speak Cantonese. So they used sign language asking to feed the dog.

Zurich — A Swiss couple fled home from Hong Kong after their pet poodle, Rosa, was cooked and served to them garnished with pepper sauce and bamboo shoots at a Chinese restaurant.

Hans and Erna W., who asked the Zurich newspaper Blick not to publish their full names, said they took Rosa with them to the restaurant and asked a waiter to give her something to eat.

The waiter had trouble understanding the couple but eventually picked up the dog and carried her to the kitchen where they thought she would be fed.

Eventually the waiter returned carrying a dish. When the couple removed the silver lid they found Rosa.

They told the paper they suffered nervous collapse and returned to Zurich immediately.

:grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2