should we have a general election within the next 3 months?

Wind30

should we have a general election within the next 3 months?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. should we have a general election within the next 3 months?

• yes
    • No

Turbocharged

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/general-election-delay-unconstitutional-covid19-teo-chee-hean-12574796

It is extremely disturbing to read such comments from our Government. Can they freaking focus on the issue at hand?

"When you are sailing into a storm, you want to be certain who your captain is and that he will not be changed halfway. You want to make sure that he is there - together with you, working with you, guiding you through the storm," he added. 

Minister Teo, if you haven't noticed, we are ALREADY in the MIDDLE of the STORM. And now you are considering asking for a change of captain which is what an election is?

If an election is called, I know who to vote for

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

1 minute ago, Wind30 said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/general-election-delay-unconstitutional-covid19-teo-chee-hean-12574796

It is extremely disturbing to read such comments from our Government. Can they freaking focus on the issue at hand?

"When you are sailing into a storm, you want to be certain who your captain is and that he will not be changed halfway. You want to make sure that he is there - together with you, working with you, guiding you through the storm," he added. 

Minister Teo, if you haven't noticed, we are ALREADY in the MIDDLE of the STORM. And now you want to ask for a change of captain which is what an election is?

If an election is called, I know who to vote for

I oso know 

😂😂

• Praise 3

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, PSP415 said:

I oso know 

😂😂

honestly it is soooo disappointing to hear this kind of talk from our Ministers...

I have never voted for the opposition before to be honest. 

It is basically hitting their own feet with a hammer. One side is working hard to prevent virus from spreading, the other simply ignore and decided to think that election should go ahead. Just asking for trouble.

• Praise 1

The mandate is until April 2021. What fresh what stronger mandate you are talking about?

What if the PAP winning % is below GE 2015? Then no stronger mandate? Unable to handle the virus?

• Praise 3

COVID-19 is only one part of life lah, it is not everything and the only thing leh.

Do we all have to be living ard COVID-19 only?  Every plans, every ops, base solely on COVID-19? 

Other things have to move, other plans have to execute, other life has to go on. 

So if COVID-19 last over June 2021, no need election?  From now till COVID-19 game over all stand still no need to do other things? 

We try our best to manage the virus, but that is just part of life, it is not everything lah. 

Election? just go and vote lor...[laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

They can amend the Constitution to eliminate TCB from the contesting and to call an Indian a Malay.

I can therefore accept an interim bill passed by PAP, with super majority control of parliament, to defer GE and govern for another 6 months to 1 year in the interest of public safety and health concern.

Please show us you will put the health and safety of the people above the interest of the party.

• Praise 11

Supercharged
1 hour ago, Tianmo said:

COVID-19 is only one part of life lah, it is not everything and the only thing leh.

Do we all have to be living ard COVID-19 only?  Every plans, every ops, base solely on COVID-19? 

Other things have to move, other plans have to execute, other life has to go on. 

So if COVID-19 last over June 2021, no need election?  From now till COVID-19 game over all stand still no need to do other things? 

We try our best to manage the virus, but that is just part of life, it is not everything lah. 

Public health is everything.

If this virus issue is not mitigated, everything else will not run.  Economy will not recover, people will not travel and business will remain gloomy.

Focus on the right thing man. If they wanna election now, it only  tell me where their priorities are......:pissed-off:

• Praise 7

2 hours ago, Tianmo said:

As i say before... high risk strategy. Another sparkletots happen during one of their campaign walkabout or rally u think there will be no blowback? All their ball carrier will be so eager to work despite minor symptom. Singaporean damn kiasi and u wanna expose them to more risk ... u get away good for u. Got fresh outbreak thats it... can even say goodbye to some minister

• Praise 1

Twincharged
9 hours ago, Tianmo said:

to me, its more like keeping a promise to the people.

when it's due, its due.

Turbocharged
(edited)
9 hours ago, Tianmo said:

Nobody is asking to stop everything for Covid, although many countries are doing so.

To me, the PAP argument for holding an election soon is simple. We are going into the Storm, ie it gets much worse and we don't have time to hold an election before April 2021. Even PAP must admit have an election now WILL impact our covid response. To say otherwise is just bulls**tting. Their whole argument is that there probably will not be a better time from now till April 2021 so might as well do it now. 

There are two major flaws to that

1) It all boils down to that they think it will probably get worse and we will not recover to a better state (vs current situation) anytime from now to April 2021. The problem with that argument is that it gets weaker when current situation gets worse. Example 2 weeks ago when this talk started vs now, the situation has worsen significantly. The more we enter the Covid storm day by day, the weaker this argument is...  To me, I already feel the Covid storm is hitting full blast esp with the world infection spiking and all the incoming residents. 

2) As our minister already clarified, the president has the power to declare a state of emergency on the advice of the cabinet and then the incumbent will stay on for the duration of the emergency. So there is a legal way to delay the election, correct me if I am wrong. So techinically, the first argument isn't even valid in the first place as there is a way out of holding elections by April 2021. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
9 hours ago, Voodooman said:

They can amend the Constitution to eliminate TCB from the contesting and to call an Indian a Malay.

I can therefore accept an interim bill passed by PAP, with super majority control of parliament, to defer GE and govern for another 6 months to 1 year in the interest of public safety and health concern.

Please show us you will put the health and safety of the people above the interest of the party.

they don't need to amend anything lah. They are just argueing for the sake of arguing. 

They can already defer the elections easily just not the way opposition was saying. duhh.... who cares as long as the election can be defered. 

Turbocharged
(edited)
7 hours ago, yishunite said:

As i say before... high risk strategy. Another sparkletots happen during one of their campaign walkabout or rally u think there will be no blowback? All their ball carrier will be so eager to work despite minor symptom. Singaporean damn kiasi and u wanna expose them to more risk ... u get away good for u. Got fresh outbreak thats it... can even say goodbye to some minister

My biggest fear is that all the ball carriers will not dare to report any outbreak during election run up.... would you dare to do it??? if reporting might cause your boss to lose his job?

Once an election is called, which is higher priority? Covid fight or election fight? If you lose the election, nothing to do anymore. I think election fight will take priority if I am incumbent. 

So many things to consider during elections, why self inflict this on ourselves??

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ysc3 said:

to me, its more like keeping a promise to the people.

when it's due, its due.

Like they promised to return our CPF at 55?

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

My biggest fear is that all the ball carriers will not dare to report any outbreak during election run up.... would you dare to do it??? if reporting might cause your boss to lose his job?

Once an election is called, which is higher priority? Covid fight or election fight? If you lose the election, nothing to do anymore. I think election fight will take priority if I am incumbent. 

So many things to consider during elections, why self inflict this on ourselves??

My biggest fear are the teachers and civil servants who will be involved in the election, thousands will be in close proximity of each other for a prolonged period of time. 

Will this spread the virus to our kids and the general public when these people go back to work the next day? 

it is like creating our own version of Sri Petaling.

• Praise 2

I don't know what Teo is saying but surely he is not speaking from his heart and interest of Singaporean. For me, the current crisis has to be settled and given top priority. The election is not going to change anything, unless we see the removal of the current government. Is he saying this is going to happen? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4