should we have a general election within the next 3 months?

Wind30

should we have a general election within the next 3 months?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. should we have a general election within the next 3 months?

• yes
    • No

2 hours ago, 13177 said:

It is just me, i never like this Teo, his face and everything come out from his mouth. [rolleyes]

Of course if he likes you, you can be some president sitting in a big office hor. Do try to like lah. Haha

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Spring said:

I don't normally like to comment on politics cos it's endless and both sides have their valid points most times unless u r Lim Tean..........well less said on him the better.

My 2 cents is that it's ridiculous to even think about holding an election at this point of time and even the next 6mths or so. Possibly at year end or early next year can be considered but even then it's too early to contemplate.

Anyway, still got more than a year to go, so why so kancheong to call a GE. If I were PAP, calling a GE after this Covid situation passes by will be doubly satisfying if they did a good job which, by and large they have done so far. It would likely then be an endorsement of a job well done and they can go on and govern with their heads held high.

Calling a GE now seems opportunistic and I believe it will make even their most ardent supporters feel like they trying to win by cashing in on the troubled climate now.

exactly. 

I do think they are doing a decent job and as long as we just tide over the peak, we don't even have to be our of the woods, I am sure many Singaporeans will be grateful, me included. 

Call an election after the peak, I am sure there are plenty of time for it. No while the cases are spiking and everyone is trying to stop it.

Unless they think they have screwed it up already, which in that case....

• Praise 3

56 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

It saddens me to see how TCH, along with GCT, seems to have lost his way :grin: 

seems like a pattern that once ministers enter SM mode and above, they lose their way.

simi mandate here mandate there fresh mandate.

cb la the mandate was already given for the full term until the next elections. means NOW there already IS a mandate. 

PAP cannot fight COVID19 without fresh mandate ah?

what a load of cock

but i forgive them cos they lost their way

along with losing many many votes i believe

I dont think they have lost their way and losing many votes also. Even they have lost their way but most importanly they still have lots of strong supporters supporting them no matter lost or no lost of way.

• Praise 1

36 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

maybe now due to restrictions of groups >10 gathering, it will be a good time since no rallies can be held and thus, the oppo's outreach will be diluted? Social media is one thing but the fervour of a rally is not to be discounted

Yes having an election now definitely benefits the incumbent but that's precisely my point. The Govt shld hv the confidence to win an election under normal circumstances.

Afterall, they have done reasonably well bar a few exceptions and this Covid situation shld further enhance their reputation barring an unforeseen turn of events, so why need to be so kiasu? I don't buy the need to have a strong mandate to see us thru this. Singaporeans including the opposition are united in this crisis I'm sure.

• Praise 11

I think that speech is a bit misleading. Delay the election beyond the mandate is indeed unconstitutional. But delay the election from in 3 months time untill, say, Jan or Feb 2021 is not violating the constitution at all. Ppl are just appealing not to hold election so soon. No asked to hold election after Apl 2021. What the smoke you are talking about?

Edited by minion
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged
(edited)
3 minutes ago, minion said:

I think that speech is a bit misleading. Delay the election beyond the mandate is indeed unconstitutional. But delay the election from in 3 months time untill, say, Jan or Feb 2021 is not violating the constitution at all. What the smoke you are talking about?

... actually delaying the election beyond the mandate is not unconstitutional.... u need to read his words carefully...

his play with words was delaying the election beyond April 2021 AND asking the president to form a caretaker government is unconstitutional. 
only the later is unconstitutional....  our constitution does allows delay of election beyond the mandate in an emergency. I am surprised he is trying to confuse the public by wording it like that. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

Anyone have any connections to the opposition parties? 

Maybe can propose to them to stand united if really GE is to come, all opposition parties do not take part. 100% walk over.

That will make P@P have 100% mandate without being voted a single vote.

No need to worry about Precautionary Measure  in rallies, voting centres etc, because there are none.  

No resources need to be mobilised to setup voting centres, counting of votes. All resources can channel into fighting COVID-19

Swee bo?

• Haha! 1

WTF are they wasting their time in Parliament talking about GE now???

We have NCID no more beds, we have many returnees who are being tested positive by the day, and many more returnees waiting to return

We have businesses have to close temporarily and people go farewell parties...

we have/will have businesses closing for good

we have people who will lose their jobs

we have Indonesians nearby, which will likely become the next epicentre, and malaysia has sick people running around avoiding quarantine, which will make containment difficult

And then the Govt is trying to blackmail the citizens by saying if you don't vote me for another round, i'm going to leave you in the lurch???

My impression of opposition doesn't matter, but my impression of the ruling party (or hopefully, just a few people involved in this crap discussion) has never been so bad!

• Praise 6

Turbocharged
10 hours ago, Atrecord said:

WTF are they wasting their time in Parliament talking about GE now???

We have NCID no more beds, we have many returnees who are being tested positive by the day, and many more returnees waiting to return

We have businesses have to close temporarily and people go farewell parties...

we have/will have businesses closing for good

we have people who will lose their jobs

we have Indonesians nearby, which will likely become the next epicentre, and malaysia has sick people running around avoiding quarantine, which will make containment difficult

And then the Govt is trying to blackmail the citizens by saying if you don't vote me for another round, i'm going to leave you in the lurch???

My impression of opposition doesn't matter, but my impression of the ruling party (or hopefully, just a few people involved in this crap discussion) has never been so bad!

Although the next GE is not due till 13 months later in April 2021, the ruling needs a STRONG mandate to lead Singapore out of this pandemic.

S$48 billion red packet have just been given yesterday to sweeten the deal. I think many will be very happy to vote for them, with so much goodies given out. The General Elections is the key priority for now. Covit19 is history. 

• Haha! 1

On 3/25/2020 at 7:43 PM, Wind30 said:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/general-election-delay-unconstitutional-covid19-teo-chee-hean-12574796

It is extremely disturbing to read such comments from our Government. Can they freaking focus on the issue at hand?

"When you are sailing into a storm, you want to be certain who your captain is and that he will not be changed halfway. You want to make sure that he is there - together with you, working with you, guiding you through the storm," he added. 

Minister Teo, if you haven't noticed, we are ALREADY in the MIDDLE of the STORM. And now you are considering asking for a change of captain which is what an election is?

If an election is called, I know who to vote for

Teo Chee B** :D

9 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Although the next GE is not due till 13 months later in April 2021, the ruling needs a STRONG mandate to lead Singapore out of this pandemic.

S$48 billion red packet have just been given yesterday to sweeten the deal. I think many will be very happy to vote for them, with so much goodies given out. The General Elections is the key priority for now. Covit19 is history. 

Yesterday is just talk only. Has any money been given out physically? Not yet.

• Praise 1

15 hours ago, Vinceng said:

With all the goodies given, i will be worried when the payback time comes... 😨

• Praise 3

1. Why would I want to hand TCB an MP seat, go somewhere else. Heck go Marine Parade dey. Dont gatchau me in the west. Or because the IQ distribution is lower in the west after I moved east. Ga gi gong ga gi song.

2. If the govt is not smart to capitalize on winning why would we want a fair government that allows itself to be chopped? The common pink ic is not honorable at all but practical. There are many people especially the females would enjoy winning even if it is unfair...closing sale, moving sale especially when they perceive they have an advantage.

3. The trolls are male and cannot see beyond their noses, cannot even get fifty percent of the population on their side...how to win. Much less govern.

4. Hard truths hurt the self esteem of the honorable opposition, no?

5. Get the women on your side before coming out as a credible political opposition party. You may ask the Dura, Arachnoid and Pia for notes.

Music..

Even if you dislike them, they get the job done.

I rather fight with TCH than against him, he the bruiser, kick metal ship all courageously.

Be quick so that we can move on.

Xia xuay or otherwise.

• Haha! 1

Of course, everyone will take advantage opt the current situation, even in football game, when opposition party loses a red carded player, advantage comes in handy.

However whether current party holder goes on the election campaiging is dependent on Singaporean's mood and timing will determine how bad or good thy perform. while the opposition party has not done much , merely showing faces on weekends was insufficient, advantage goes to governing party since thy have the ammo and bullets at hand. I reckon most of us is not pin the moods, and lost of job, lost of income and instability all play a part. The bone of contention was: What of there wasn't any of Covid-19, would the Govt have any better ? other than lockdown, SHN, aids in subsidy and medical fees being waived for Singaporean. What can the Current govt really do for us in terms of Family main income earners job security, the weak and lower income earners,old and medically handicapped who need more than a roof over their heads ?

I will be taking a long hard reflection when election comes along, at this juncture, I think wrong timing and financially many families are drained, pressured and cant think properly. it's along haul to Q4/2020 for recovery days.

↡ Advertisement