China Ban Consumption of Wild Animals

RickyWee

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/05/asia/china-coronavirus-wildlife-consumption-ban-intl-hnk/index.html

Hong Kong (CNN)A strict ban on the consumption and farming of wild animals is being rolled out across China in the wake of the deadly coronavirus epidemic, which is believed to have started at a wildlife market in Wuhan.

Although it is unclear which animal transferred the virus to humans -- bat, snake and pangolin have all been suggested -- China has acknowledged it needs to bring its lucrative wildlife industry under control if it is to prevent another outbreak.

In late February, it slapped a temporary ban on all farming and consumption of "terrestrial wildlife of important ecological, scientific and social value," which is expected to be signed into law later this year.

But ending the trade will be hard. The cultural roots of China's use of wild animals run deep, not just for food but also for traditional medicine, clothing, ornaments and even pets.

This isn't the first time Chinese officials have tried to contain the trade. In 2003, civets -- mongoose-type creatures -- were banned and culled in large numbers after it was discovered they likely transferred the SARS virus to humans. The selling of snakes was also briefly banned in Guangzhou after the SARS outbreak.

But today dishes using the animals are still eaten in parts of China.

Public health experts say the ban is an important first step, but are calling on Beijing to seize this crucial opportunity to close loopholes -- such as the use of wild animals in traditional Chinese medicine -- and begin to change cultural attitudes in China around consuming wildlife.

image.png.812bb99d43815d86e5809bd7df5190b0.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I hope they ban this completely. However, I just saw Huanong brothers BBQ a bamboo rat 1 week ago. Are farmed bamboo rats considered wild animals?

The bamboo rat that they roasted look nice.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Victor68 said:

I like it but hope they will enforce. Make the penalty very heavy and double for officers failure to enforce it. 

Agree

16 hours ago, Weez911 said:

I hope they ban this completely. However, I just saw Huanong brothers BBQ a bamboo rat 1 week ago. Are farmed bamboo rats considered wild animals?

I love their video also.

Sometime watching them give me the urge to give up everything and go there live a countryside life.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 3/27/2020 at 8:00 PM, Optramagnum said:

Took them so many lives to realize this. 

And they should have started banning since 2003, after SARS.

Back then it was due to civet cats.  This time round, bats.

Edited by Albeniz

(edited)
1 hour ago, Albeniz said:

And they should have started banning since 2003, after SARS.

Back then it was due to civet cats.  This time round, bats.

aiya ... after this blew over ... same same but different la

anything that fly, swim or walk ... all can eat la ... 

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 1

(edited)
On 3/27/2020 at 4:19 PM, Weez911 said:

remember our training @ survival village :grin:

my tiongkok doctor friends all makan anjing one...damn scary :slow:

Edited by Inlinefour
  • Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

remember our training @ survival village :grin:

my tiongkok doctor friends all makan anjing one...damn scary :slow:

I remember during my survival training the trainers caught a wild boar and they skinned and cooked it, while we ate the tasteless and rubbery snake. Knn

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2