COVID-19: Students to have home-based learning once a week from April

Raubern

Expected this after my girl came home with home study pack last week

But shock that only one day a week. And her after school care remain open but now with sch holiday surcharge on the noschool day... Simi sai neither here nor there measure

Edited by yishunite
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

All New Zealand schools are closed. 

is not so much a matter of kids getting sick, more a matter that they can transmit / carry the disease. 

And we all know how good hygiene is for kids. 

the whole point here is two fold 

1. You can have Covid-19 for two weeks before show symptoms

2. Kids may be totally asymptomatic

You want to stop community transmission 

Dad catches from colleague, passes to child, child passes to 3 school mates, 3 school mates go home and pass to maid, mum and two grandparents - then how? 

As already said - either safe or not safe, this is a half fark measure that is not going to go anything 

• Praise 4

Supercharged

I see this more as an exercise to test out the e-learning platform and resolved any issues where students are unable to access.  Resolving the problems will make any subsequent lockdown go smoother.  But this exercise should have taken place earlier rather than this week.

• Praise 3

21 minutes ago, Darryn said:

All New Zealand schools are closed. 

is not so much a matter of kids getting sick, more a matter that they can transmit / carry the disease. 

And we all know how good hygiene is for kids. 

the whole point here is two fold 

1. You can have Covid-19 for two weeks before show symptoms

2. Kids may be totally asymptomatic

You want to stop community transmission 

Dad catches from colleague, passes to child, child passes to 3 school mates, 3 school mates go home and pass to maid, mum and two grandparents - then how? 

As already said - either safe or not safe, this is a half fark measure that is not going to go anything 

Just wondering, in NZ, school closed, students still got homework, onliine lessons and test or exam to do?

Here in SG, pretty much kiasu mentality, if school closed, schools MUST pile the kids with homework, projects, assignments, online lesson, online tution, online test and exam.

All my friends with school going kids discussing what to do if school closed. How to keep the kid busy to keep up with their studies. None of them mention letting their kids have a break or do other enrichment non-study activities.

14 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

I see this more as an exercise to test out the e-learning platform and resolved any issues where students are unable to access.  Resolving the problems will make any subsequent lockdown go smoother.  But this exercise should have taken place earlier rather than this week.

e-learning platform isnt new leh. They have been doing this e-learning whenever they free up days to mark PSLE papers in the past. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged
1 minute ago, Watwheels said:

e-learning platform isnt new leh. They have been doing this e-learning whenever they free up days to mark PSLE papers in the past. 

It's same that many companies have VPN for many years and still got problem when BCP activated for staff to work from home.. have to do another round of testing before go full fledged..

• Praise 2

Twincharged
25 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

absolutely right. thats why they also stagger the e learning days to not stress the system too much.

i guess the damn system cannot cope with the load and will crash BIG TIME if every school goes into e- learning.

• Praise 2

15 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

absolutely right. thats why they also stagger the e learning days to not stress the system too much.

i guess the damn system cannot cope with the load and will crash BIG TIME if every school goes into e- learning.

So far, 8 weeks into e-learning. System no crash at all. The Zoom/Microsoft Teams session handled 300+ students at the same time w/o any problems. Some more lecturers were using multiple video screening. Lockdown browser handling 500+ students doing online test at the same time w/o any problems.

All the university have been using online learning for the past few weeks liao.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
18 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

So far, 8 weeks into e-learning. System no crash at all. The Zoom/Microsoft Teams session handled 300+ students at the same time w/o any problems. Some more lecturers were using multiple video screening. Lockdown browser handling 500+ students doing online test at the same time w/o any problems.

All the university have been using online learning for the past few weeks liao.

e learning not only on zoom.

• Praise 1

38 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

e learning not only on zoom.

Uni is pretty much self-learning. So mostly is lectures and tutorials on Zoom/Microsoft Teams.

Tutorials done on Zoom is pretty interactive. Lecturer chooses a name, unmute the person and he/she have to give an answer. The person can also annotate on the screen with drawings and typing. Also can ask questions, unlike in classroom, ppl scare to raise hands.[grin]

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Tkseah said:

We are doing exactly the same this week for our very small office...….trial of wfh, flatten the kinks before we have to stay home - there are a few kinks this moment 😕 but Day1.

Agree with you the schools already should have done, there are far more kids in the school than our little office.

Twincharged
8 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Uni is pretty much self-learning. So mostly is lectures and tutorials on Zoom/Microsoft Teams.

Tutorials done on Zoom is pretty interactive. Lecturer chooses a name, unmute the person and he/she have to give an answer. The person can also annotate on the screen with drawings and typing. Also can ask questions, unlike in classroom, ppl scare to raise hands.[grin]

I guess we are talking about different things. I’m referring more to local primary and secondary school e learning platforms. 

• Praise 1

On 3/27/2020 at 7:19 PM, Starry said:

actually I don't understand why they so worry about parents not  able to take care of their kids if school close.

Then may I ask.....during school holidays how? Let the kids all run wild outside is it? Those young one also run wild outside during holidays?

People tell me I can just don't let the kids go school if wan to be safe. But I dun like the kids to ponteng school leh....

I think they are worrying for childcare/student care centres.  If all schools close, childcare centres and student care centres will have to be closed too.  Then no people will look after the kids.

But why close tuition centres and open schools?  Aren't schools have more students in one class?  

Edited by Dleodleo
  • Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

I think they are worrying for childcare/student care centres.  If all schools close, childcare centres and student care centres will have to be closed too.  Then no people will look after the kids.

But why close tuition centres and open schools?  Aren't schools have more students in one class?  

I guess they are keeping only the essentials opened for the time being. Tuition, enrichment class, CCSs, etc are extras.

• Praise 2

7 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

because tuition centres have students from different schools coming together. If one student becomes virus positive, a few schools mayb affected, suspended for a few days for cleaning.

Whereas if students from the same school keep to school and home only, chances are if any student is virus positive, only that one school is affected. 

the worry is if a few schools announce virus positive at the same time, even if it is via the same tuition centre as the source, ppl still going to get panic. But if one school, then higher chance of an isolated case.

but this is my thinking only lah.. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3