The Honda HR-V Sport Is Almost Like A Reincarnated EP3 (No, Really)

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

The Honda HR-V Sport Is Almost Like A Reincarnated EP3 (No, Really)

source: https://www.carthrottle.com/post/the-honda-hr-v-sport-is-almost-like-a-reincarnated-ep3-no-really/

img_1611.jpg

It makes a great noise, it has well-judged damping and the gearchange is wicked. But we're not sure who the HR-V is actually for...

“The closest thing we make to an EP3 Type R” - that’s how someone in Honda’s UK press fleet garage refers to the Honda HR-V Sport. Now, before you demand his contact details so you can send him a bag of excrement in the post, I should say that I’m inclined to agree…

You see, the modern Type R is a turbocharged sledgehammer of a car. It has a brutally effective and boosty 2.0-litre inline-four kicking out 50 per cent more power and double the torque. It’s stiff, extremely capable, and visually, quite happy to shout about all that performance. The old EP3 is rather different.

img_1659.jpg

Drive an EP3 next to an FK8, and it’ll feel slower and softer. Rather like the HR-V Sport. But that isn’t where the allusions end - the warmed-up crossover does genuinely invoke the feeling of fast Hondas of old. It may not have a naturally-aspirated engine, but its 1.5-litre inline-four turbo unit is an eager little thing, and it even belts out a muscular, VTEC-engine-like growl as you rev it out. With 180bhp on tap, it makes the HR-V brisk rather than fast, making 0-62mph possible in 7.8 seconds.

Peak power comes in at a fairly low point - 5500rpm - but once it’s time to change gear, you’re in for a treat. The shift is just as good as it is on a lot of ‘proper’ performance Hondas, with a short, precise and mechanically satisfying throw. And if you swap the cog a little too late, you hit a hard limiter - a rarity even on performance cars these days.

img_1646.jpg

The pedals are ideally spaced for a little heel-and-toe action, and even the retuned steering is pretty sweet, being nicely weighted and perfectly predictable. The more economy-minded Michelin Primacy 3s do reach the end of their tether fairly early, but swapping for something like Pilot Sport 4s seems like overkill for a car like this. In any case, once the HR-V is pushed to the edge, it shows its fun, slightly ragged side. You’ll even get a hint of lift-off oversteer if you back off the throttle at the right moment. It’s just a shame the traction control is too eager to kill the fun, even with it turned ‘off’.

Unlike the Civic Sport Line we tried recently, the dampers here are passive. They’re different relative to the rest of the HR-V range, though, aimed at reducing roll without completely wrecking the ride. The shocks are very well judged; the HR-V Sport is indeed still comfortable, and while there is some lean when you press on, it’s more than flat enough considering the target market. The target market being… I’m not sure, actually.

img_1611.jpg

The sort of person who’d appreciate all the EP3-like stuff such as the gear shift, the burly engine note and the hard limiter will unlikely want to go for something like an HR-V. It’s getting on a bit, which shows in the dated cabin with its naff infotainment system, and the car as a whole doesn’t exactly have the sportiest of images.

In fact, I’ve had a hard time working out who or what this car is aimed at out of any other vehicle I’ve driven lately. It’s not like it’s vying for buyers of much faster premium sporty crossovers - at £28,090 it’s considerably cheaper, while still being fairly pricey compared to more direct rivals.

img_1617.jpg

We can’t help but think anyone who actually cares about dynamics would be better off with the lighter, lower Civic Sport (which oddly, doesn’t sound as nice as this HR-V), or even making the jump to the FK8 Type R.

But perhaps this doesn’t matter - Honda is using a Mazda-like approach here, making sure that even the stuff lower down the pecking order feels great to drive. People who’ve no interest in performance can appreciate a nicely sorted car, even if they won’t be able to explain what’s good about it.

img_1626.jpg

The Sport isn’t ever going to make up a big percentage of HR-V sales (although with a 16 per cent share in the UK it does better than you might expect), but what it does is arguably more important than flogging cars. It shows what kind of company Honda is - one that gives a damn about driving.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

18 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Not alot of ppl like to drive manual too. They find it troublesome.

Manual car is nice to drive. At least have something to do while driving. Lol. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
18 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Hahah. I totally agree. 🙋‍♂️

Assuming we are talking about overseas models, the equivalent Jap competitor to this HRV would be the Juke.

But the Juke has already established itself in the US while HRV does not seem to be popular. Juke also has a better engine with more power. They need to put the 2 litre type r engine in the HRV to make it stand out.

4 hours ago, 13177 said:

Agree. manual is more fun to drive

Neutral Newbie
8 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Not alot of ppl like to drive manual too. They find it troublesome.

especially at traffic

i dont think Kah motor or PI will bring in this to sell. moreover it is a manual cars. if you noticed, we hardly have any new manual transmission cars that are on sales in AD showrooms for B&B cars.

• Praise 1

18 hours ago, 13177 said:

if only the population of buyer has a place to use the stick shift, the take up rate would be better. Else the 1 -2 2 -1 start stop jam would result in left leg bigger then the right leg.. 

And I know, heel and toe would solve this but how many heel and toe into a filter lane with zebra crossing..

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Sdf4786k said:

And I know, heel and toe would solve this but how many heel and toe into a filter lane with zebra crossing..

I wish driving school taught me heel-toe. Sadly only heard about this technique after family scrapped the manual car

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

I wish driving school taught me heel-toe. Sadly only heard about this technique after family scrapped the manual car

u din miss much .. 

Would have incurred money shift if u screw up on normal shifting  ...

😛 u could have done alot worst

↡ Advertisement