[Consolidation] Singapore Otters

RickyWee

12 minutes ago, 13177 said:

So dangerous having to dash across a busy orchard road! [sweatdrop] 

Nobody inform them that the fish shop in PS basement oredi moved out long ago 😆

• Haha! 5

On 1/11/2021 at 9:05 AM, kobayashiGT said:

Otter pup abandoned by Bishan family at Beach Road euthanised after all possible options exhausted

source: https://mothership.sg/2021/01/otter-eve-euthanised/

otter-eve-cover.png

This is Eve, an otter pup who was only about the size of a human palm.

134097911_969183643856529_82564234058051

She was so young that her eyes had barely opened to see the world.

134993404_969183670523193_21761454225749

Otter newborn abandoned by Bishan family

Eve was found by an otter watcher on New Year's Eve (Dec. 31, 2020) at Republic Avenue of Beach Road district.

She was prematurely brought out of the natal holt by her family, the famous Bishan otters, but was left behind by the adult otters.

No otters came back looking for her and the family moved holt subsequently, as observed by otter watchers.

These were taken as signs of abandonment by the family, according to a post by long-time otter watcher Chun Kit Soo.

According to an official statement by the Otter Working Group (OWG), it is unclear why the family abandoned otter Eve.

One possibility is that otter Eve did not belong to the main breeding pair of the family but from one of the younger females.

The younger pups would not be able to keep up with the family which is moving between hunting grounds.

Otters have a complex social dynamic which could have resulted in the pup’s abandonment, OWG stated.

This is not the first abandonment case observed in the Bishan family.

In both instances, the otter pups were not given birth to by the alpha-female of the group.

Eve was eventually rescued and sent to animal welfare charity Acres after seeing no signs of reunion between Eve and her family.

135490961_969183597189867_63973084430391

A tricky rescue mission

Eve, estimated to be only two weeks old, was much younger than the otters involved in past rescue missions.

Hand-raising her proved to be extremely challenging.

Those who have been following updates on the local otters will know that as an otter grows, it learns how to swim and fish with the adults.

It takes a village to raise a child, and the same applies to the smooth-coated otter family.

All in all, it takes 10 months for an otter pup to grow to be independent.

So how does one provide Eve with the proper environment to grow up equipped with the necessary skills? How will the lack of social interaction with other otters affect her behavioural development?

Here's another consideration that the Otter Working Group has to take into account: How do they raise Eve until she's ready to be rehabilitated back into the wild, without allowing her to become reliant on humans?

135575661_969183567189870_26542417369008

Lack of expertise and facility

Members of the Otter Working Group which includes personnel from the National Parks Board, Acres, Wildlife Reserves Singapore, otter watchers, as well as biologist Sivasothi N., gathered in the past week to discuss how to help Eve.

Many phone calls and text messages were exchanged, and meetings were arranged for discussion and debates, Ottercity's Facebook post said.

Unfortunately, the group came to the sad conclusion that no one is experienced enough, and Singapore does not have the right facility to raise this otter pup.

One of the key constraints is the lack of a large rehabilitation space that mimics otters' habitats e.g. rivers, lakes, or ponds for semi-aquatic animals.

The zoo also does not have a smooth-coated otter collection to take in Eve.

If Eve were to be left in the wild, she is unlikely to survive on her own.

With the above considerations, "every step will be so experimental that it will be at the expense of Eve", Ottercity explained.

Euthanasia is regrettably the last resort

After studying overseas cases and exhausting all possible options, the team made the tough decision to euthanise Eve.

This is especially so when smooth-coated otters are listed as 'Vulnerable' on the IUCN Red List since 1996. This species, threatened by loss of habitat and illegal pet trade, is at high risk of extinction globally.

The OWG said:

Eve died on the afternoon of Jan. 7.

The otter community said that this is "an outcome that none [wish] to see", but is a result of limitations that the team has to accept.

Following the euthanasia, a necropsy will be conducted by WRS to investigate if there were any health issues that contributed to otter Eve's abandonment.

:TT_TT:I feel so sad for Eve.

Like the 300 movie

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Otters crossing busy Orchard Road outside Plaza Singapura almost hit by taxi that braked in time

Onlookers at the side of the road could only look on helplessly.

There were at least 14 otters in the group.

The video ended with the otters safely at the grass patch outside of the Istana.

Presidential Otters ........ dunch pray pray 🤣

• Haha! 3

2 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Nobody inform them that the fish shop in PS basement oredi moved out long ago 😆

I dont even know there is a fish shop in PS? 😅 I think they are going to the nice fish pond inside the Istana la?! Lol.

• Haha! 1

12 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I dont even know there is a fish shop in PS? 😅 I think they are going to the nice fish pond inside the Istana la?! Lol.

I tink they were attracted by the fragrant nasi lemak...only dead fish then got smell lah 😁

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

I tink they were attracted by the fragrant nasi lemak...only dead fish then got smell lah 😁

‘Alimah weekend come back Ista-cation 🤣

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator

xMonitor-lizard-otter-feature-1.jpg.page

Monitor Lizard Faces Otters In 1 Vs 7 Fight, Fends Off Sneak Attack With A Tail Slap

Monitor Lizard Fights Otters In 1 Vs 7 Fight Using Its Tail

Just like us humans, not all creatures in the animal kingdom will find themselves getting along with one another.

While some civility is expected of humanity, animals certainly do not play by these rules.

A lone monitor lizard was recently spotted fighting off 7 otters along a body of water, showing off a rather unique tail technique.

xMonitor-lizard-2.jpg.pagespeed.ic.GT_XF

Talk about an unfair match-up.

Romp of otters surround monitor lizard in standoff

In a Facebook post by Mr Suppaya on Wednesday (17 Mar), the man shared a video of a romp of otters ‘ganging up’ on a lone monitor lizard.

xMonitor-lizard-3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.KsO62

The amused man even captioned the video “Otter (Kong) vs Monitor (Godzilla)” in reference to the up-and-coming movie.

xMonitor-lizard-4.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xaMul

Knowing full well that it was outnumbered, the quick-witted lizard used its tail to whiplash an otter who tried to pull a sneak attack on him.

Monitor-lizard-5.gif.pagespeed.ce.c9Hxka

In the name of Pokémon, the ‘tail whip’ attack was ‘super effective’.

The romp of otters scurried away soon after witnessing the fearsome move.

Monitor-lizard-6.gif.pagespeed.ce.WoDi3F

According to the online encyclopedia Britannica, monitor lizards can use their tail like a whip as part of their defensive arsenal.

Not the end when it’s ‘you against the world’

One relatable takeaway from the scene is perhaps the fact that not all is lost even when it’s ‘you against the world’.

Even when outnumbered, this monitor lizard capitalised on its strength and warded off not 1, but 7 opponents off.

In other words, latch onto your strengths, be hyperaware of your weaknesses and surroundings, and you’ll triumph in life.

Source: https://mustsharenews.com/monitor-lizard-otters/

Awww. Issit this cute? 😍

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

12 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Chey, this 🖥️ lizard lousy lah, still lose out to our @Angcheek who can 一个打十个 (1 take 10)。。。:a-good: :D :D

6d11eb2478f7debf8f944c92de44e7a2_w200.gi

@BanCoe say one... 👻

dis Unker  @Angcheek??? 🥷Wah !! so powderfuel 10 🤣🤣

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Otters are a real pest just as monkeys.

if they stay in their areas, thats fine but if they venture out to urbanised areas and get rolled over by buses cars etc....thats just too bad.

i will not jam my brakes nor swerve eruptly to cause more harm in an accident.  I may slow down if i can, but if i cant i wont.  

My friend living in Sentosa Cove had all his 20 kois eaten up or killed by roaming otters.   
Another one living near the resevoir had his backyard garden trashed up by monkeys.

Am i glad i dont live in a 13,000 sft detached house with a huge garden and pond near nature.  😂😅

HDB wan sui wan wan sui

• Haha! 5

Monkeys do roam in HDB flats, but so far no heard otters roam in HDB flats lo. Maybe HDB flats there no kois for them to eat? Lol.

Edited by 13177

Internal Moderator

Otter Family Takes A Dip In Luxe Sentosa Condo Pool, Has Fun Day Living The High SES Life

source: https://mustsharenews.com/otters-sentosa-pool/

sentosa-otters-feature.jpg

Romp Of Otters Have Field Day At Sentosa Condo Pool

Sunbathing and having a whale of a time at the pool or beach is one of Singaporeans’ favourite way to spend the weekends.

For a family of otters, they seemed to have inducted themselves well into this recreational hobby — but this time, at an atas condo at Sentosa.

xsentosa-otters-the-coast-1.jpg.pagespee

The otter family was seen at The Coast @ Sentosa making full use of the luxurious pool at the property.

Otter sighted frolicking about private Sentosa property

According to a post shared in Singapore Wildlife Sightings Facebook group, the OP shared an adorable video of a romp of otters enjoying pool time at a condominum located in Sentosa.

xsentosa-otters-the-coast-3.jpg.pagespee

After taking a dip on one side of the ginormous pool, they decided to change things up and, well, move to the other side of it.

Clearly, The Coast @ Sentosa’s swimming pool became a playground for them.

xsentosa-otters-the-coast-6.jpg.pagespee

The scene of otters having fun was an absolutely hysterical sight, much to the videographer’s enjoyment.

sentosa-otters-the-coast-4.gif.pagespeed

How the otters managed to access the premises remains to be a mystery, but we sure hope they had a blast exploring the beautiful place.

xsentosa-otters-the-coast-2.jpg.pagespee

The Coast @ Sentosa is definitely a far cry from the canals and beaches these otters are typically used to.

Netizens amused by cute otter sighting at Sentosa

While otter sightings are pretty commonplace in Singapore in recent days, spotting them in your property typically isn’t a regular occurrence.

This netizen made a comment in jest comparing “onsen monkeys in Japan” to “pool dipping otters in Singapore”.

xsentosa-otters-the-coast-comment-1.jpg.

For the uninitiated, there actually is an onsen for monkeys in Japan. Blessed be the monkeys in the land of the rising sun.

xsentosa-otters-the-coast-5.jpg.pagespee

The Jigokudani Monkey Park is home to Japanese macaques — take a relaxing bath in the famous hot spring with monkeys as your companion.

Another user commented the same sentiments that the majority of us have in mind.

image.png.bf7cb249ff8462b09c0064fbfa241927.png

What a blessed life indeed.

Hope they had fun at the Sentosa condo’s pool

Starting the weekends off with cute sightings of otters is for sure a fantastic way to lift one’s mood.

We’re glad that the wildlife – otters or snakes alike – are treated with much respect in our little red dot.

However, if one if is unsure of how to handle certain encounters with any sort of animal species, err on the side of caution and contact NParks immediately here.

Awwww.... So cute! makes me wanna move to sentosa!!!! 😂😂😂

• Haha! 4

Omg, otters now even invaded sentosa condo siah?! :o Luckily this condo dont have koi pond, if not those koi very sway.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2