Hiring a domestic helper - tips and info needed

therock

Bros

My mum is getting on in age, and we have rather busy lives. Currently we've managed without any maid, but I'm seriously looking at hiring someone 

- to help clean up the home, bit of cooking etc

- be her companion

- help her

- she's ok with English but better in Mandarin 

Mum is very healthy right now, but getting forgetful. 

So I'm asking:

- any tips and suggestions that come to your minds, please sound out

- which nationality? Phil? 

- any agencies

- costs?

- alternatives eg helpers who come once or twice a week - Amah agencies? 

Any other info will be really helpful, thanks! 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

If its for your mum, first thing mayb to ask what she wants in that maid, because if she cannot get along, then you going to have problem changing. 

Housework is quite standard, most maids can do, just how hard working or lazy she is to get the job done for you. Cooking, unless is ex-SG and need to cook before, otherwise most times, I cook better than them. If your mum is happy to teach her cook will be different of course.

My current maid is a transfer maid and been with us for 11 days. We find her perfectly alright and the family like her more than the old maid. But her ex employer hated her and just threw her back to the agency, later we found out is not really her problem, but a mis-match issue. 

Pinoy maids, can speak English better, usually better with children, but must go off day and emotional needs usually higher. BGR problem mostly come from them. 

Indon maids, in high demand but stocks limited, so prices getting higher now. Very good in housekeeping, some can cook quite nice indon food. Mostly no pork, but some dont care liao. However all can handle pork. 

Myanmar maids, cheapest of the 3, but also slowest learner of them all, use as housekeeping machine only, mostly cannot cook, their English will take a while for you to understand them. 

there is a maid platform where many agencies and freelance agents post their "products" there, can see their bio-data and photos, can even sort by new and transfer, you can slowly see and pick there. Problem is they are all over SG, the one you like may not be near you.  I will go dig out the website and whatsapp you later.

Next, I siam all those agencies in high SES areas, like bukit timah and East coast, because their agency fee is also high SES one. Theirs can be anywhere from $1200 to $1500 ( mostly include insurance), whereas other heartland agencies can charge $388-$588 only. Insurance is about $300, gov fee is less than $50. 

But If you are looking to get one anytime soon, mayb a little challenging now unless you dont mind taking those transfer maids who are already transferred out. But last I heard such transfer maids are also in high demand now because of the shortage of stocks due to the new ruling. Many maids are either not coming, or employers putting them on hold. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 9

Thanks sir

very very informative and useful

did you go for Phil or Indo? 

Its not urgent but I guess I better start doing my homework earlier then look in earnest when things settle ..

• Praise 1

36 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

If its for your mum, first thing mayb to ask what she wants in that maid, because if she cannot get along, then you going to have problem changing. 

Housework is quite standard, most maids can do, just how hard working or lazy she is to get the job done for you. Cooking, unless is ex-SG and need to cook before, otherwise most times, I cook better than them. If your mum is happy to teach her cook will be different of course.

My current maid is a transfer maid and been with us for 11 days. We find her perfectly alright and the family like her more than the old maid. But her ex employer hated her and just threw her back to the agency, later we found out is not really her problem, but a mis-match issue. 

Pinoy maids, can speak English better, usually better with children, but must go off day and emotional needs usually higher. BGR problem mostly come from them. 

Indon maids, in high demand but stocks limited, so prices getting higher now. Very good in housekeeping, some can cook quite nice indon food. Mostly no pork, but some dont care liao. However all can handle pork. 

Myanmar maids, cheapest of the 3, but also slowest learner of them all, use as housekeeping machine only, mostly cannot cook, their English will take a while for you to understand them. 

there is a maid platform where many agencies and freelance agents post their "products" there, can see their bio-data and photos, can even sort by new and transfer, you can slowly see and pick there. Problem is they are all over SG, the one you like may not be near you.  I will go dig out the website and whatsapp you later.

Next, I siam all those agencies in high SES areas, like bukit timah and East coast, because their agency fee is also high SES one. Theirs can be anywhere from $1200 to $1500 ( mostly include insurance), whereas other heartland agencies can charge $388-$588 only. Insurance is about $300, gov fee is less than $50. 

But If you are looking to get one anytime soon, mayb a little challenging now unless you dont mind taking those transfer maids who are already transferred out. But last I heard such transfer maids are also in high demand now because of the shortage of stocks due to the new ruling. Many maids are either not coming, or employers putting them on hold. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

You work part time in Maid Agency ????  [sly]

• Haha! 4

21 minutes ago, therock said:

Thanks sir

very very informative and useful

did you go for Phil or Indo? 

Its not urgent but I guess I better start doing my homework earlier then look in earnest when things settle ..

I had Phil and indo before, but for the last 6 years, I am on Myanmar maids. 

We started with phip because back then the family was young, and we thought the maid could help with the language of the kids, but mayb is our luck, we always get those BTC and emotional need quite high one, so we switch to Indo.

Indo was far much better than phil for us, we stick to Indo maids until stocks ran low, price went up, and their demand getting close to phil ones.

Then our regular agency went very slow with indo maids and rev up supply from Myanmar, so we gave it a try and being using Myanmar maids. Also because as our family grew in age, the kids no long need care taking, and we are left with housekeeping to take care.  For that actually any maid from any where also can do the job lor..

Later you go play ard with that platform, lots of bio data to see..

Or you may want to start walking into any maid agency near you to check it out, mayb move a little further away from your place, I suspect near your place agency fee also on the high side one. 

Or check out those transfer maids, make an appt to interview them, bring your mum along and let her see for herself, mayb let her interview them see if she likes. 

No obligation anyway, just take it as doing research and having a feel of the game lor.[:p][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2

34 minutes ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

You work part time in Maid Agency ????  [sly]

No lah, we have maid like for close to 20 yrs already, and recently just forced to change maid because of the new rulings, so information still fresh mah.^_^[laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 3

17 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

@Tianmo change maid faster than he change GFs. hahahaha

means its better to be my GF than my maid right? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, Tianmo said:

means its better to be my GF than my maid right? [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Need to ask your gf and maid, then can do a comparison chart. hahah

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

My advice is simple. Unless absolutely must have a maid, else better don't. Instead , can engage part time cleaner for house cleaning. 

20 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Need to ask your gf and maid, then can do a comparison chart. hahah

Past maids all gone back liao, ex-GFs all break contact liao how to ask? New GF if know comparing her to maid, not only will kill me, I think will kill you also.... [knife][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
27 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Past maids all gone back liao, ex-GFs all break contact liao how to ask? New GF if know comparing her to maid, not only will kill me, I think will kill you also.... [knife][laugh][laugh]

Hahha. I am a virtual bot. Won't die one.

Very easy to choose maid. Depends on who will be choosing - wife or husband.

Wife will choose the ugliest maid.
Husband will choose the one with the biggest ( . )( . )

No problem at all, easy decision.

• Haha! 2

Internal Moderator
21 minutes ago, Flying_genie said:

Very easy to choose maid. Depends on who will be choosing - wife or husband.

Wife will choose the ugliest maid.
Husband will choose the one with the biggest ( . )( . )

No problem at all, easy decision.

Then if the kids wanna take part in the choosing leh?

My friend says there's a problem cos maids might not be allowed to come to Singapore.  Cos they need to be quarantined.   Then if positive, who will pay for her treatment (plus quarantine fees)?

So it's a headache to find the agency that can settle everything now.

And the bigger headache is the maid also wants to return.  I think there are flights but that would mean quarantine and she might not be allowed back in.  And he is afraid to reject her request cos it's been a long time and recently there is a news article of a maid who attempted suicide cos she was not allowed to fly back.

Stressful time.  Lucky it's my friend and not me.  But I also thinking..

Edited by Philipkee

Taking care aged and children is very different. It is much more difficult with aged in my opinion especially if it is the first time having maid to take care of you. Many adjustments. 

Best is the person that needs the care also participate in selection if he/she can. Then the maid needs to know the expectations. Look out for body language when you share these expectations.  Any wrong signs, best not to proceed. Agency would wants maid to take any appointment while maid will be forced to accept but are reluctant. In difficult cases, generally 2 years is max. They also need a break. My 2-cent.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Bros, do you all have any tips to help ease a new maid in?

Or a checklist / orientation program? 

My MIL might need to get one soon, thank you..

↡ Advertisement