How I traveled to >15 countries this morning :)

SGMCF328

Turbocharged

First of all, I am a social responsible person, so I did not go against our government advice (traveling out of Singapore).

And in case you are guessing I have been surfing those travel videos online, nope, I didn't. I went to these "countries" physically by car and a few on foot even.

So how I did it? Maybe I should share which are the countries I have traveled to as a hint. They are:

1. Australia
  2. Bermuda
  3. Canada
  4. Cyprus
  5. England
  6. Falkland
  7. Fiji
  8. Gibraltar
  9. Jamaica
  10. Kenya
  11. Malta
  12. New Zealand
  13. Nigeria
  14. Pakistan
  15. Saint Helena
  16. South Africa
  17. Sudan

Does some of these countries sounds very familiar to you?

OK time to reveal the answer. I just went to an area near to Sembawang Park this morning.

1688895827_Roadwithcountryname.thumb.png.8fc75cfe6fecbdded942cecec2a5cccf.png

As you can see from the map above, there are more than 20 roads which were named after countries or states, such as,

• Bermuda Road
  • Canada Road
  • Cyprus Road
  • Falkland Road
  • Fiji Road
  • Gibraltar Crescent
  • Jamaica Road
  • Kenya Crescent
  • Malta Crescent
  • Pakistan Road
  • Saint Helena Road
  • Sudan Road
  • Auckland Road (New Zealand)
  • Canberra Road (Australia)
  • Deptford Road (England)
  • Durban Road (South Africa)
  • Hobart Road (Australia)
  • Lagos Circle (Nigeria)
  • Montreal Road (Canada)
  • Ottawa Road (Canada)
  • Tasmania Road (Australia)
  • Wellington Road (New Zealand)

Thanks to a friend of mine who drove me around the estate. Btw, some of these roads out of bound to general public as they are classified as military related premises.

To all seniors here, are there any other interesting place and road name in Singapore? I can't wait to learn more of them. Thank you.😉

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 9
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 9

Interesting post.:a-good: Reminded me of my reservist days almost 2 decades ago, when I get to drive around Sembawang estate in various type of military patrol vehicles.

OK, for a start, here are some road name I would like MCFers to guess where are these 3 places.

1. Sunset Avenue
(NOT Sunset Way, Sunset Close, Sunset Terrance, etc.)

2. Shangri-la Close & Shangri-la Walk
(NOT Shangri-la Hotel)

3. Phoenix Park
(NOT Phoenix Avenue, Phoenix Rise, Phoenix Walk, etc.)

• Praise 7

2 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Oops, wrong place. Just googled.:XD:

It is about participation, not getting the right answer. I know I cannot stop anyone from googling... 

• Praise 5

11 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Interesting post.:a-good: Reminded me of my reservist days almost 2 decades ago, when I get to drive around Sembawang estate in various type of military patrol vehicles.

OK, for a start, here are some road name I would like MCFers to guess where are these 3 places.

1. Sunset Avenue

(NOT Shangri-la Hotel)

3. Phoenix Park

Just guessing without googling.

Phoenix Park is the Ministry of home affairs (home team) building beside TTSH?

Shangri-la is a landed estate (semi-d and above) near sembawang hills.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

I think I knew one of them. Phoenix Park should be somewhere around Tanglin area. I went there once to pick up document from a vendor.

Phoenix Road, Phoenix Avenue, Phoenix Rise are located next to Teck Whye Estate (within Choa Chu Kang). I am very sure about it because I am a west side boy. 

For Shangri-la I am guessing it is also around Tanglin area since the name sound high class? 

Sunset Avenue maybe along some seaside?

• Praise 5

9 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Just guessing without googling.

Phoenix Park is the Ministry of home affairs (home team) building beside TTSH?

Shangri-la is a landed estate (semi-d and above) near sembawang hills.

Nah.. Shangri-la Walk is besides AMK Ave 2 there. Visited a friend who stay there. 

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Optramagnum said:

Nah.. Shangri-la Walk is besides AMK Ave 2 there. Visited a friend who stay there. 

Yes. The landed enclave there is called sembawang hills estate. Amk Ave 1 and 2 form the borders of this estate. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

In the 70's, there were once an army quarters for senior officers in Admiratly East Road area. The region along the following:-

1. King's Ave

2. Queen's Ave

4. St Helena Road

5. Gibraltar Crescent

6. Cyprus Road and

7. Malta Crescent.

The army barracks belong to the joint forces of ANZUK (Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom).

There was a theater and small supermarket belonging to the ANZUK forces. As running around the area, sometimes on Saturday afternoon, the soldiers (MP) invited us to go into the theater to watch free movies. They are screening un-censored movies.  

Happen to watch one movies which I can never forget, "Confession of A Window Cleaner"  :wub:  First time watching a 2x movie... :secret-laugh:Really brings back fond memories of that areas ... :a-happy:

• Haha! 3

7 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

In the 70's, there were once an army quarters for senior officers in Admiratly East Road area. The region along the following:-

1. King's Ave

2. Queen's Ave

4. St Helena Road

5. Gibraltar Crescent

6. Cyprus Road and

7. Malta Crescent.

The army barracks belong to the joint forces of ANZUK (Australia, New Zealand and United Kingdom).

There was a theater and small supermarket belonging to the ANZUK forces. As running around the area, sometimes on Saturday afternoon, the soldiers (MP) invited us to go into the theater to watch free movies. They are screening un-censored movies.  

Happen to watch one movies which I can never forget, "Confession of A Window Cleaner"  :wub:  First time watching a 2x movie... :secret-laugh:Really brings back fond memories of that areas ... :a-happy:

Thanks for "tiko-nessing" this thread. I bet that instead of googling for road name, many would now be more keen to google the movie title you have provided.:XD:

If I am not wrong, the area is still occupied by Australia and New Zealand military personnel, and thus guarded by SAF & SPF (at some place).

@Lala81 & @Optramagnum, both of you are right about the location of Shangri-la Walk. [thumbsup] It is located within AMK estate, and so is Shangri-la Close.

NJRGIho.png

And @SGMCF328, you get it correct for Phoenix Park, as well as the other Phoenix related road names (which are all in CCK). [:)]

AsvllAf.png

mFggoNN.png

Now, who want to try Sunset Avenue? Nope it is neither within Clementi estate nor near to any seaside...

• Praise 6

4 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Thanks for "tiko-nessing" this thread. I bet that instead of googling for road name, many would now be more keen to google the movie title you have provided.:XD:

If I am not wrong, the area is still occupied by Australia and New Zealand military personnel, and thus guarded by SAF & SPF (at some place).

@Lala81 & @Optramagnum, both of you are right about the location of Shangri-la Walk. [thumbsup] It is located within AMK estate, and so is Shangri-la Close.

NJRGIho.png

And @SGMCF328, you get it correct for Phoenix Park, as well as the other Phoenix related road names (which are all in CCK). [:)]

AsvllAf.png

mFggoNN.pngnow, who want to try Sunset Avenue? Nope it is neither within Clementi estate nor near to any seaside...

Sounds like it's in the seletar hills estate or seletar aerospace. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Sounds like it's in the seletar hills estate or seletar aerospace. 

Nice attempt but it is too far off.

And one more for guess. I think every male Singaporean knows about the infamous Peng Kang Hill, so now where is Artillery Avenue?[confused]

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Google it, you won't regret watching. But colour wise of 70's movies (Techinicolour) cannot compare to latest 1020 or 4K .... [inlove]

The biggest house there at the top of the hill facing Sembawang Shipyard (former Commander of ANZUK house) is now occupied by USA. 

• Haha! 1

Actually there is a mini Burma in Sg .... Irrawaddy Road , Rangoon Road , Mandalay Road Moulmein Road, Martaban Road, Bassein Road and of course Balestier Road ...... all are old colonial names before the Junta came in and changed the names in Myanmar ..... I’m sure there is pretty much a Burmese contribution here 

• Praise 5

Sunset Avenue is at Bukit Timah, next to Linden Drive end. The Linden Drive end is an enclave of walk-up apartments. 

Now let me ask back another question after I replied on Sunset Avenue:

Where is Sunrise Avenue ?         Hint : It is neither near the sea nor close to Sunset Ave, Sunset Way

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Picnic06-Biante15 said:

Google it, you won't regret watching. But colour wise of 70's movies (Techinicolour) cannot compare to latest 1020 or 4K .... [inlove]

The biggest house there at the top of the hill facing Sembawang Shipyard (former Commander of ANZUK house) is now occupied by USA. 

Ehmmm... let me search :D:D

3 hours ago, BanCoe said:

Actually there is a mini Burma in Sg .... Irrawaddy Road , Rangoon Road , Mandalay Road Moulmein Road, Martaban Road, Bassein Road and of course Balestier Road ...... all are old colonial names before the Junta came in and changed the names in Myanmar ..... I’m sure there is pretty much a Burmese contribution here 

You are another walk street directory. Honestly, I always lost my way in these mini Burma you mentioned... [sweatdrop]

3 hours ago, serenade said:

Sunset Avenue is at Bukit Timah, next to Linden Drive end. The Linden Drive end is an enclave of walk-up apartments. 

Now let me ask back another question after I replied on Sunset Avenue:

Where is Sunrise Avenue ?         Hint : It is neither near the sea nor close to Sunset Ave, Sunset Way

Bingo. You got it correct. [thumbsup]

61TXVPP.png

As to Sunrise Avenue, that was actually my next question (so that mean I know the answer). Thanks for sharing BTW. [:)]

• Praise 6

On 4/5/2020 at 9:03 AM, Carbon82 said:

1. Sunset Avenue

(NOT Shangri-la Hotel)

3. Phoenix Park

Anything interesting abt Shangri la Close ? 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged

Wow, I never know Sunset Avenue is at Bukit Timah and Shangri-la Close is actually in Ang Mo Kio.

Is Artillery Avenue somewhere around Alexander or Labrador Park?

And Sunrise Avenue at Jurong industrial area, near to Pioneer Crescent?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6