♥️ Circuit Breaker Makan Thread HERE WE GO! ♥️

BabyBlade

Supersonic
13 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

1st time drive out just to dabao food, since the start of CB. Really is 冷冷清清 everywhere... 

JHUVcf9.jpgl5WvuQ0.jpg

maybe its the timing. Wife just went there just now, she said medium crowd. As usual, soya bean stall long Q.

I always buy from this stall and the next 2 stall. Lor Mai Kai, Chee Cheong Fun. And my fav WTM is behind. haha

8 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Since the CB started,  has not go tabao this.

I avoid go hawker center inside market. Worry need long queue to enter.

No need Q to go in H.C. Barriers are around wet market nia 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Hypersonic
6 hours ago, Ckll said:

Anyone had success making slow boil soup (like those over charcoal) using pressure cooker ? Trying to get some tips before I embark on this 😅

Very easy. Just blanch the meat. Wash clean then just throw everything inside and start it up. I usually go for about at least one hour still though. 

U can put the red dates and gouqi after that. Its pretty decent. Always have some chicken feet. Even if u are using chicken bones or pork Ribs. 

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
(edited)
5 hours ago, TangoCharlie said:

My mum does not do that. My wife speculated ours lembek because she fry big batch and the oil temp not optimal.

Lembek ones still miles ahead of those outside ones. Hahaha

Sigh. Spent my time making this just now. Lembek and soft. 

Yes it's probably due to too much water left inside the shallots. 

I realised why I haven't made this for a few years. 

Another reason why mine cannot crisp is cos I actually washed the shallots. One reason why I don't like shallots or small red onions. They aren't like big yellow onions. There's quite a bit of dirt/grit in between the outer layers. Damn gross not to wash. 

This already took a while then i just gave up cos I still wanted to do my fried rice. 

Anyway. Double frying is likely to work. I didn't think of it while I was doing it. 

20200507_111116_compress29.jpg

20200507_143408_compress81.jpg

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 9

42 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

1st time drive out just to dabao food, since the start of CB. Really is 冷冷清清 everywhere... 

JHUVcf9.jpg

l5WvuQ0.jpg

Come to Golden Mile food centre, I needed to queue 20mins for my favourite chicken rice stall. Medium crowd here.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
5 hours ago, Ckll said:

Mine also lembek lembek one in oil .. 

I rem my mom said that in order to get things to be crispy and to force out the oil, she always did 2 times frying. After frying the first time, she scooped out the stuff, then increase the oil temp with bigger flame, then fried the second time for a short while.

I wonder if that's the trick ? I only fry my shallots 1 time though ..

To make things not absorb oil. The exit temperature (when the fried item is being removed) needs to be high.

Double frying allows the moisture trapped inside to come to the surface and get evaporated the 2nd time u fry it. 

Anytime u deep frying something. Always big flame when u are at the last part. 

• Praise 2

40 minutes ago, Tohto said:

They barricade the food centre and market separately. Been to the North Bridge Road market and its like that. Need to walk 1 round out to go to the food centre.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic
59 minutes ago, mcftiffany said:

May I know if songhe rice or royal umbrella rice is better in taste?

Royal for my family. I feel its nicer than song he. 

6 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Another reason why mine cannot crisp is cos I actually washed the shallots. One reason why I don't like shallots or small red onions. They aren't like big yellow onions. There's quite a bit of dirt/grit in between the outer layers. Damn gross not to wash. 

This already took a while then i just gave up cos I still wanted to do my fried rice. 

Anyway. Double frying is likely to work. I didn't think of it while I was doing it. 

My OC wash also then spread out and fan dry before frying. Time consuming.

Yours look can still fry longer. so can fry the second time and make it crispy.

Hypersonic

Zzz took damn long to prepare this. Damn messy and too many bowls used. Fried rice really time consuming. Prepared enough for another meal tomorrow. 

Taste OK only niah. 6/10. 

Some Sambal Sotong. The supermarket bottled sambal paste is not particularly good. 

20200507_110449_compress94.jpg

20200507_115920_compress69.jpg

20200507_121712_compress13.jpg

20200507_122650_compress76.jpg

20200507_130509_compress20.jpg

• Praise 17

Hypersonic
5 minutes ago, TangoCharlie said:

My OC wash also then spread out and fan dry before frying. Time consuming.

Yours look can still fry longer. so can fry the second time and make it crispy.

Damn oily. Hahaha don't want. It took me one hour to clean up... Shack. 

• Haha! 2

2 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Zzz took damn long to prepare this. Damn messy and too many bowls used. Fried rice really time consuming. Prepared enough for another meal tomorrow. 

Some Sambal Sotong. The supermarket bottled sambal paste is not particularly good. 

liao more than rice [laugh]

usually when I fried rice, I keep the ingredients to minimum (limit to egg plus either a meat or a seafood, no peas or corn [laugh]) as the main 主角 is the rice.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic
6 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

liao more than rice [laugh]

usually when I fried rice, I keep the ingredients to minimum (limit to egg plus either a meat or a seafood, no peas or corn [laugh]) as the main 主角 is the rice.

Bought too much fishcake. This was two big fishcake. 

Anyway also cos I usually cook for two meals. So the wok is too full. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
17 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Your fried rice has more ingredients than rice.. so many liao.

• Praise 1

(edited)
55 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

20200507_115920_compress69.jpg

20200507_122650_compress76.jpg

20200507_130509_compress20.jpg

Looks good, I like many liao so I rarely eat fried rice outside...

fried shallots need to fry very very long de, my mother used to make her own always turn out good. After frying must take them out and let them dry and cool down then keep in container. Oil keep separately. 

Recently I bought One off shell so far ok., hope the taste wont change

Edited by Cloud9
  • Praise 2

Supersonic
2 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

JHUVcf9.jpg

l5WvuQ0.jpg

You go to supermarket and see if 冷冷淸清?! 😅

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
3 hours ago, Tohto said:

I never a fan of all the bao, especially  sweet one.

Many bao are sweet de.

5 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Then who mop the kitchen? 🤷‍♂️

Usually my wife mop the kitchen, else use robot (we have a small unit just for kitchen, provided the floor is not too oily). I hate to mop the floor from young. Anything else I can do except mopping... 

4 hours ago, Tohto said:

When is your family restaurant opening after CV 19 end :grin:

My wife has been saying want to try, but I say better not as deep frying will need a lot of oil.

Wah this type of dishes can open restaurant? Mai lah, later kena throw eggs... You can cook much better than me, so it should be you starting one. 

BTW, talking about cooking failed, here is the messy cheese cake I mad over the past weekend. Overflow and the top of the cake touched the ceiling of the oven, this charred. But texture and taste while still quite OK. 

kTwTrfX.jpg

F19cVTb.jpg

jvDkJ66.jpg

2 hours ago, Tohto said:

Yah, I have also avoid going out to dabao unless on the way or have specific reason to do so. It is not about the Q but exercising social responsibility. 

As far as I know, going into Hawker Centre is not restricted, only wet market need to Q at single entry point. 

1 hour ago, Othello said:

maybe its the timing. Wife just went there just now, she said medium crowd. As usual, soya bean stall long Q.

I always buy from this stall and the next 2 stall. Lor Mai Kai, Chee Cheong Fun. And my fav WTM is behind. haha

No need Q to go in H.C. Barriers are around wet market nia 

I was there at about 12:30pm. Probably the morning crowd was gone. I am the 2nd person in the Q but when I left, there were another 3 - 4 behind, which is not much compared to normal days. 

Never try other stalls there. Will do so after CB is lifted. Thanks for the recommendation. 

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

Come to Golden Mile food centre, I needed to queue 20mins for my favourite chicken rice stall. Medium crowd here.

It really depends on area and type of food available. For me, I would not travel more than 20 minutes just for food alone (during CB). 

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

I wash the shallots before cut them up, left it to air dry for ~30 minutes before deep fried it with low heat. Scope it up immediately when it starts to change colour. Yours is undercooked for the photo. 

To remain crispy, spread the fried shallots on a plate, let it cool down to room temperature, before keeping them in a air tight container.

I suspect if you want to maintain the crispness while soaking in oil, need to cool both down separately before keeping them together. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 14