♥️ Circuit Breaker Makan Thread HERE WE GO! ♥️

BabyBlade

My 1st attempt with roast pork, failed! [:(]

I try to speed up the process by using higher temp (@220°C instead of 185°C) while shortening the time to 1:15hr (recommended 1:30 - 1:45 HR) and ended up with charred bottom and uneven skin crispness (some part very crispy some part almost soft like braise meat). 

Gyi6WpN.jpg

ScYTnXo.jpg

pg2X5M3.jpg

TQ4HknY.jpg

• Praise 17

39 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Dinner. Wife tried out cajun style cooking. Not bad.

20200409_182515.thumb.jpg.fefc659051ff5f6aa79a63610f57fea2.jpg

With your endorsement,she will be more adventurous liao. Good for your tummy.

Ribeye, sides and leftovers for dinner.

IMG_20200409_190103.jpg

IMG_20200409_190048-01.jpeg

• Praise 15

43 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

I try to speed up the process by using higher temp (@220°C instead of 185°C) while shortening the time to 1:15hr (recommended 1:30 - 1:45 HR) and ended up with charred bottom and uneven skin crispness (some part very crispy some part almost soft like braise meat). 

Gyi6WpN.jpg

ScYTnXo.jpg

pg2X5M3.jpg

TQ4HknY.jpg

You shouldn't buy in strips. Buy whole block. Cos the salt will overrun the edges. The edges are very salty one. Either buy 1-1.5kg at a go.

Outside they do it one piece usually 2+kg and above. And they actually trim away all the sides.

Liddat u are drying out the strips when the salt brine comes down. 

It's actually not that easy to do a good roast pork. I did like 4 times before my oven conked out, feel the results are inconsistent.

I prefer to buy it actually. 

• Praise 9

U also need a meat cleaver to cut the meat properly. Also need the skin prick device. 

I don't feel a chefs knife works well on Chinese roasted pork. 

• Praise 4

Dinner. Not really well done. 

1. Chicken with mushrooms and this vegetable. I forgot I don't like this vegetable. It came plucked in a packet but I didn't examine closely. Tends to be bitter and it absorbs a lot of water during blanching which gives a bitter taste to the gravy. Chicken also not much taste due to short marination time. 

2. 黄瓜虾米蛋

I thought I bought a luffa 丝瓜. Turns out this is a fat 黄瓜 which I could have suspected cos it was put beside the 老黄瓜。。。well it didn't turn out too bad in terms of the gravy, the old ginger, 虾米 and my fried eggs gave it quite an interesting taste (though preferably to use young ginger). The kids don't like the 瓜. I will be eating the leftovers. 

3. My own version of 蒜油面 (Chinese aglio olio) 

Egg noodles from the brand Tohto recommended. There's no pasta in the supermarket for two weeks. So I decided to do aglio olio with Chinese egg noodles (without chilli flakes). But it's too soft and overcooked by the time the strands separate and u remove it from the pot. I used too little oil and maybe using 版面 would be a better choice. Taste can be improved if the ammendments above carried out. Proof of concept is there. It tasted OK actually but could have bit more soy sauce and less mushy. 

20200409_182834_compress16.jpg

20200409_185703_compress88.jpg

20200409_194130_compress48.jpg

• Praise 20

Hypersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

Gyi6WpN.jpg

ScYTnXo.jpg

pg2X5M3.jpg

TQ4HknY.jpg

Why you roast inside a tray? I think the hot air will not circulated around the whole meat.

My roast meat yesterday I leave it openly for air circulation.

20200408_180134.jpg

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 9

3 minutes ago, Tohto said:

Why you roast inside a tray? I think the hot air will not circulated around the whole meat.

My roast meat yesterday I leave it openly for air circulation.

20200408_180134.jpg

Cos u truss yours up. Traditional Chinese roast flat slab pork needs a shielding to prevent the sides from over charring. Don't really need a rack for the traditional type. 

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
5 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Cos u truss yours up. Traditional Chinese roast flat slab pork needs a shielding to prevent the sides from over charring. Don't really need a rack for the traditional type. 

Oh yah. Main reason for truss up also the non fatty part won't  get dry.

• Praise 3

Internal Moderator
23 minutes ago, Discoburg said:

IMG_5388.thumb.jpeg.c56db621fb53a956e26c1ab39308115a.jpegBreakfast whipped up by the Mrs this morning cause she is at home with me.

no bee hoon to go along? 🤣

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 3

30 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

no bee hoon to go along? 🤣

Ang mo style, bacon, eggs and sausages. Missing the sausage and orange juice.[grin]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

Egg sandwich idea for you guys. Sorry about the pic quality and also the cheese, i didn't let it melt properly.

2 strips of streaky bacon, lay down side by side on the pan. Once about 3/4 cooked, crack an egg on top of them and keep the yolk and white on the bacon strips. Once egg is firmed up, transfer to plate and then toast the bread on the same pan to soak up the bacon fat. Butter and also a simple sauce made up of some ketchup, bbq sauce and tabasco on the bread.

Egg on bacon 2.jpeg

Egg on bacon.jpeg

• Praise 16

8 minutes ago, Adrianli said:

Ang mo style, bacon, eggs and sausages. Missing the sausage and orange juice.[grin]

Had OJ but no bacon and sausages. By the way its Chinese style, hence the luncheon meat. 😅

• Haha! 3

Supercharged
16 hours ago, Cloud9 said:

Saw this and the Taukwa at Ntuc nex

IMG_20200407_214647.jpg

I showed my wife this tau kua and she bought from SS yesterday to cook for dinner.

The texture is smooth and the bean taste is great! 

Good recommendation. Thanks!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3