COVID-19 III: SG Circuit Breaker EXTENDED TO 1ST JUNE: 1,037 New Cases - (23 Apr)

Windwaver

Message added by kobayashiGT

3 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I am not missing the point. The point is if you ban outdoor exercise, a LOT of People will stop exercising because it is not something they are used to. Walking, jogging. 

you REALLY think all the old folks will watch exercise video on youtube and do indoor exercises instead of their daily walks????

At the end of the day, it is all about numbers. and what is the better outcome.

PM already trying to tell old folks to stay at home on national tv lor.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

8 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

I am not missing the point. The point is if you ban outdoor exercise, a LOT of People will stop exercising because it is not something they are used to. Walking, jogging. 

you REALLY think all the old folks will watch exercise video on youtube and do indoor exercises instead of their daily walks????

At the end of the day, it is all about numbers. and what is the better outcome.

To old people, leisure walking is already a form of exercise. And they can wear masks to protect themselves and others. Banning outdoor exercise doesn’t equate to banning leisure walking. So the old folks are covered. 

we are talking about strenuous exercise by supposedly fit (and possibly asymptomatic) folks who pant and expel droplets at a higher rate and a further distance WITHOUT masks. These are the people who CAN switch to alternative modes of exercise at home, keep their BP Low, and still won’t die without exercise. 

Yes it’s all about the numbers. I’d like to think risks or fatalities arising from non or less exercise for 1 month is much lesser than having asymptomatic people who are free to spread their love by allowing them to run unmasked and increasing the risk of community transmission.

• Praise 8

Turbocharged
5 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

To old people, leisure walking is already a form of exercise. And they can wear masks to protect themselves and others. Banning outdoor exercise doesn’t equate to banning leisure walking. So the old folks are covered. 

we are talking about strenuous exercise by supposedly fit (and possibly asymptomatic) folks who pant and expel droplets at a higher rate and a further distance WITHOUT masks. These are the people who CAN switch to alternative modes of exercise at home, keep their BP Low, and still won’t die without exercise. 

Yes it’s all about the numbers. I’d like to think risks or fatalities arising from non or less exercise for 1 month is much lesser than having asymptomatic people who are free to spread their love by allowing them to run unmasked and increasing the risk of community transmission.

Do you jog alone? I jog alone everyday at 645 am.. I don't think your numbers are right.

I don't believe you can get the virus through just transient contact else the Ro will be much much higher and this Virus will be unstoppable. All the evidence don't point to that.

Lets say community spread numbers are 40 a day for 100 days. That is 4000 cases. Out of these 4000 cases, how many are through joggers/runners vs the 1001 other activities? 0.1%? That is 4 cases over 100 days. Is it worth the reduction of these 4 cases to ban outdoor exercise?

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

If these fit people insist on exercising outdoors, then I will insist masks wearing are compulsory. Not the current half f**ked cycling, running, jogging don't need masks crap.

Wearing masks during training might push up their lung capacity and efficiency in utilizing oxygen as well. Very good for the runners/joggers, very good for increase VO2 max training for cyclists. 😁

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

Do you jog alone? I jog alone everyday at 645 am.. I don't think your numbers are right.

I don't believe you can get the virus through just transient contact else the Ro will be much much higher and this Virus will be unstoppable. All the evidence don't point to that.

Lets say community spread numbers are 40 a day for 100 days. That is 4000 cases. Out of these 4000 cases, how many are through joggers/runners vs the 1001 other activities? 0.1%? That is 4 cases over 100 days. Is it worth the reduction of these 4 cases to ban outdoor exercise?

I don’t jog cos it’s too slow. I run.

And I run alone.

But I have not been running outdoors since 6 March because I am humji tbh and also because I don’t want to be one of those asymptomatic ones to unknowingly infect others.

I normally run in the PCN around a big longkang. my droplets can land on the railings and it can stay there for days.

people may touch the railings, and then touch their face or kkb or whatever, leading to community infection.

its all about reducing risk. And it doesn’t make sense that we all have to mask up when going out, for the purpose of reducing risk, and yet we allow runners to go about unmasked and spewing more droplets out.

Sacrificing a bit for the general good is ok one. And you can still exercise at home.

But I know I’m talking to a wall so you need not reply.

• Praise 9
  • Haha! 5

8 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

And I run alone.

But I have not been running outdoors since 6 March because I am humji tbh and also because I don’t want to be one of those asymptomatic ones to unknowingly infect others.

I normally run in the PCN around a big longkang. my droplets can land on the railings and it can stay there for days.

people may touch the railings, and then touch their face or kkb or whatever, leading to community infection.

its all about reducing risk. And it doesn’t make sense that we all have to mask up when going out, for the purpose of reducing risk, and yet we allow runners to go about unmasked and spewing more droplets out.

Sacrificing a bit for the general good is ok one. And you can still exercise at home.

Those run Long distance alone one very lonely

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Somewhat1975 said:

Agree. A SCMP article recently called our govt P*u*ss*yfooting to describe their reactive measures . I need to google to find out the meaning🤣

A news feed about SG for PRC here describes the govt efforts as 挤牙膏 (squeeze toothpaste) style [laugh]

• Sad 2

21 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Yup. My usual shop at Kelantan Lane, I do not think they will be open. May be will drive there and have a look. At the same time, warm up the idling car.

Think LFS may have...since some use to tan aro.

27 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

....Wearing masks during training might push up their lung capacity and efficiency in utilizing oxygen as well. Very good for the runners/joggers, very good for increase VO2 max training for cyclists. 

It is true.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
26 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

And I run alone.

Risk is very low, and I believe even the original Belgian lab research that first reported this has been somewhat discredited because it was done in lab conditions. Even the docs here are divided and play down the risk, pointing out that outdoors have breezes, dispersal etc.

Personally I accept that the risk is really low, and lower that further by not running in popular locations.

Not forgetting that as mentioned in my earlier post that I am among those that carried on living my life normally and follow same routine right up to the Friday that PM announced the CB period.

So compare before CB and now, there's some mitigation carried out already [laugh]

To me, this link between exercise and spreading infection is as tenuous as the obsession over Y2K many years ago.

Gym and pools, I agree, is potential spreading place, and should be closed. But right till the Friday of CB announcement, unfortunately, these were kept open (though entry limits were already in place).

If we really want to be worried, there's something out there potential danger, yet no one can contemplate shutting it off - air conditioning ... [laugh] I am surprised even the authorities/experts here have missed this.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
22 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

And I run alone.

aiya, it is a wall on both sides anyway.

my word count to the wall is less though... For me, just follow the law and do what we think is right in our own ways. 

24 minutes ago, Theoldjaffa said:

Please. The Wall deserves respect. Don't insult it. 😂

download (2).jpeg

• Haha! 3

21 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Those run Long distance alone one very lonely

I must listen to that more. When I listen to Somewhere in Time, I always listen to CSIT, WY then skip all the way to SIASL then end with ATG.

Edited by Turboflat4

8 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Risk is very low, and I believe even the original Belgian lab research that first reported this has been somewhat discredited because it was done in lab conditions. Even the docs here are divided and play down the risk, pointing out that outdoors have breezes, dispersal etc.

Personally I accept that the risk is really low, and lower that further by not running in popular locations.

Not forgetting that as mentioned in my earlier post that I am among those that carried on living my life normally and follow same routine right up to the Friday that PM announced the CB period.

So compare before CB and now, there's some mitigation carried out already [laugh]

To me, this link between exercise and spreading infection is as tenuous as the obsession over Y2K many years ago.

Gym and pools, I agree, is potential spreading place, and should be closed. But right till the Friday of CB announcement, unfortunately, these were kept open (though entry limits were already in place).

If we really want to be worried, there's something out there potential danger, yet no one can contemplate shutting it off - air conditioning ... [laugh] I am surprised even the authorities/experts here have missed this.

I read your posts and I know you are a sensible person.

i only have issues with people with PAP style mindset - opinionated, self centred people who always think they are right.

• Praise 1

And at the end of the day, it’s all about common sense. 

tell me where is the logic when normal people walking on the streets have to wear a mask

but runners cyclists and all other people who are exercising need not?

Want to continue exercising outdoors, no problem. Wear a mask and you can run for as Long or as far and breathe as hard as you want.

• Praise 8
  • Haha! 1

53 minutes ago, Lethalstrike said:

If these fit people insist on exercising outdoors, then I will insist masks wearing are compulsory. Not the current half f**ked cycling, running, jogging don't need masks crap.

Wearing masks during training might push up their lung capacity and efficiency in utilizing oxygen as well. Very good for the runners/joggers, very good for increase VO2 max training for cyclists. 😁

Ok

wearing mask to excercise nao!!!! :grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1