Covid19: no vacations, dig up old travel photos..

Wind30

Turbocharged
(edited)

These two pics were taken at a farm with me standing from the same spot using different lens/camera. First pic is nikon D700, 70mm and second pic is Pentax K1 with a 24mm equivalent lens. Honestly, there is not much difference in camera bodies although they can cost quite different. 

Winter

2012, Japan, Hokkaido

covid046.jpg

Waiting

2012, Japan, Hokkaido

covid047.jpg

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged
(edited)

Final two picture are from Otaru at the famous canal.

Happy

2011, Japan, Otaru

covid048.jpg

Nostalgic

2011, Japan, Otaru

covid049.jpg

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Next 7 pics are from a vacation to Australia in Sep 2012, from Adelaide to Melbourne taking the Great Ocean Road. Those were the days, with just three of us. Now it is more rowdy with the two kids bickering or playing together 🙂 

Free

2012, Australia, Great Ocean Road

covid050.jpg

Ocean

covid051.jpg

Play

covid052.jpg

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
13 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Nice superior angle shot - the little mighty giant

did you sit down yet lower or prone to capture that?

82C4FF76-403C-479A-9F06-FF2A77E57862.jpeg

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47d6bf13152e7a66815a

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
21 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Nice superior angle shot - the little mighty giant

did you sit down yet lower or prone to capture that?

ya, those days I was pretty on the ball with angles. I looked at the camera and it was a nikon D700 with 14-24mm. I never shoot prone ever. With the 14-24mm, it should be manual focus as the DOF is huge. I think it was squat with live view, just frame using the LCD and fire. 

Nowadays, squatting and getting up with heavy gear is getting harder year by year...

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

I have been Great Ocean Road a few times and this is the only time with a good sunset at the Twelve Apostles. Ann is still very enthusiastic about photos. On later trips I had to bribe her... using chocolates...

Sunset

covid053.jpg

Chocolates for Pics

covid054.jpg

Ocean

covid055.jpg

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged
(edited)
14 hours ago, Hamburger said:

I am trying hard to learn your angle of shot.

Good skill you have there!!!! 

thanks. actually many of the pics is more luck than skill. Only very few are preconceived. 

I try not to shoot from the normal height and distance all the time so I purposely bring an ultrawide, a 35mm and 70-200mm tele most of the time. The focal length will force you to move closer or stand really far away.

After you set the position, then it is the angle, I just try to shoot low or high sometimes to mix it up. At least many years ago, I try to vary it more. My default is usually waist height though because that is eye height for my kids. 

Edited by Wind30
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I still remember this pic was taken on our road trips at one of the many farms along the way. We kind of sneaked in and took a shot at the edge. The sky was fantastic plus the colors of the flowers. We used to stop often along the road previously but much less nowadays as the kids are unwilling to get off the car to shoot.

Summer

2012, Australia, On the Road

covid056.jpg

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

The next 6 photos are from a trip to Japan in Feb 2013 mid winter. We visited fujigoko area and Japan alps. The pic below is my favourite from the trip. I don't remember where it is from but I loved the expressions captured.

Smooch

2013, Japan, Fujigoko

covid057.jpg

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

This pic shows Ann looking scared, sitting alone. She is still at the age whereby she is afraid of sitting alone in the train. I think she is afraid of the guy beside her in face mask as Singapore at that time, don't have a mask culture...

Scared

2013, Japan, Train

covid058.jpg

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
29 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

This pic shows Ann looking scared, sitting alone. She is still at the age whereby she is afraid of sitting alone in the train. I think she is afraid of the guy beside her in face mask as Singapore at that time, don't have a mask culture...

Scared

2013, Japan, Train

covid058.jpg

She looks bubbly! haha. That bag is a bag of tidbits arh? 😂

Turbocharged
23 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

She looks bubbly! haha. That bag is a bag of tidbits arh? 😂

should be. Our Japan vacation shopping list 🙂

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

This pic was taken outside a cookie shop. Basically, I was trying to snatch the last cookie from her and she gobbled it down with a victorious expression 🙂 I love this pic a lot that we revisited the cookie shop many years later with Alex and Ann. 

Cookie Winner

2013, Japan, Fujigoko

covid059.jpg

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

This picture is one of the few that is preconceived and planned. That morning we came out early and there was a big snow storm earlier and all the branches were still full of fresh snow like white flowers. This was shot from far using a 200mm lens. My wife is just "pretending" to point to something, she is a pro at posing for photos. 🙂 Ann is herself, trying to figure out what mum is pointing at (nothing)

Snow flowers

2013, Japan, Fujigoko

covid060.jpg

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

The final two pics of my 2013 Japan trip. The first pic is interesting to me because of the huge trees standing over a cave, I wonder how their weight are supported. There is plenty of purple fringing from the lens though visible even at such resolution. Second pic is at a ski resort... none of us ski but we visit them just to take pictures....

Ice Cave

2013, Japan, Fujigoko

covid061.jpg

Ski Resort for non-skiers...

2013, Japan, Hakuba

covid062.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1