Mobil 1 Gold 0w30 for Honda HRV

Gohsj89

Hi. I am planning to buy Mobil 1 Gold 0w30 (gold bottle gold cap) Engine Oil and realized its API SL, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4.

But the manual of my Honda HRV 2018 states API SM, ACEA A5/B5.

Is it compatible?

217AF8FB-0A97-4870-ABDF-7E0735AB32E9.jpeg

A85867B9-1D7D-4362-B691-1B13789F8BA9.jpeg

A0CAFF32-F94B-47CA-B84A-A65A3BE84F59.jpeg

F7031EAB-665C-4883-906A-1BC89732A614.jpeg

Edited by Gohsj89
Typo
↡ Advertisement

4 hours ago, Gohsj89 said:

Hi. I am planning to buy Mobil 1 Gold 0w30 (gold bottle gold cap) Engine Oil and realized its API SL, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4.

But the manual of my Honda HRV 2018 states API SM, ACEA A5/B5.

Is it compatible?

217AF8FB-0A97-4870-ABDF-7E0735AB32E9.jpeg

A85867B9-1D7D-4362-B691-1B13789F8BA9.jpeg

A0CAFF32-F94B-47CA-B84A-A65A3BE84F59.jpeg

F7031EAB-665C-4883-906A-1BC89732A614.jpeg

The biggest difference between Mobil 1 0w30 A3/B3 and A5/B5 as recommended by Honda is HTHS (high temperature high shear). For A5 it's a min of 2.9 and a max of 3.5 but for A3 the HTHS must be above 3.5 (or equal at a min). So with A3 oil (Mobil 1) you have a thicker oil but at a cost to fuel economy. Another difference is the lower level of ZDDP antiwear agent in SM motor oil (recommended by Honda) to address concerns about premature catalytic converter falure from phosphorus "poisoning". If I were you, I may choose to look for something else.

• Praise 1

Why don't u go for 0W-16 or 0W20 as stated in your user's manual? Always use what your user manual recommends

API SL is out of date these days. It should be API SN+. Please use other brands/types

Where did u get this old stock Mobil 1 may I ask? It looks like US market stocks (not the ones u pick up at Esso station) but even then, Exxonmobil has completely updated the Mobil 1 EP range for quite some time. 

See here.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-extended-performance-5w-30/

image.thumb.png.2d60cb2f18629156da183c5d5d5c09bf.png

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

If you Car is the 1.5 Turbocharged ''Earth Dream'' Engine it needs 0w-16 to prevent Engine Oil ''Thinning'' Problem.

Hi, it's Earth Dream but ain't turbo charged.

(edited)
1 hour ago, Cheefarn said:

Why don't u go for 0W-16 or 0W20 as stated in your user's manual? Always use what your user manual recommends

API SL is out of date these days. It should be API SN+. Please use other brands/types

Where did u get this old stock Mobil 1 may I ask? It looks like US market stocks (not the ones u pick up at Esso station) but even then, Exxonmobil has completely updated the Mobil 1 EP range for quite some time. 

See here.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/products/mobil-1-extended-performance-5w-30/

image.thumb.png.2d60cb2f18629156da183c5d5d5c09bf.png

Hi. I shopping through Lazada.sg

I wanted 0w-30 over 0w-20 for its protection against wear and tear.

Its local stock, as per label, made in Egypt and packed locally.

I was under the impression that silver bottle as per your link is from US/UK.

664E07FA-0DD3-4A55-A24A-5064DF949E58.jpeg

Edited by Gohsj89

1 hour ago, Hyde333 said:

The biggest difference between Mobil 1 0w30 A3/B3 and A5/B5 as recommended by Honda is HTHS (high temperature high shear). For A5 it's a min of 2.9 and a max of 3.5 but for A3 the HTHS must be above 3.5 (or equal at a min). So with A3 oil (Mobil 1) you have a thicker oil but at a cost to fuel economy. Another difference is the lower level of ZDDP antiwear agent in SM motor oil (recommended by Honda) to address concerns about premature catalytic converter falure from phosphorus "poisoning". If I were you, I may choose to look for something else.

Wow that’s very technical, but I get what you mean.

I guess I will be getting 0w-20, no choice. Just found out that Kah Motor is already using 0w20.

Would you think it’s suitable based on this picture attachment?

80F33001-A485-47D0-921E-9EDB20BD9AE2.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Gohsj89 said:

I guess I will be getting 0w-20, no choice. Just found out that Kah Motor is already using 0w20.

80F33001-A485-47D0-921E-9EDB20BD9AE2.jpeg

I would definitely think so. It meets API SN plus and according to product sheet of Mobil 1 0w-20, the HTHS should be around 2.6.

25 minutes ago, Gohsj89 said:

Hi. I shopping through Lazada.sg

I wanted 0w-30 over 0w-20 for its protection against wear and tear.

Its local stock, as per label, made in Egypt and packed locally.

664E07FA-0DD3-4A55-A24A-5064DF949E58.jpeg

Bro be careful with that seller.

Our local stocks are either from France or Jurong Island. . And it is fully updated to API SN+ as well

See below (Mobil 1 SG URL)

https://www.mobil.com/en/sap/our-products/products/mobil-1-0w-30

Edited by Cheefarn
  • Praise 2

20 minutes ago, Gohsj89 said:

Engine oil tech has improved significantly for the past 5-7 yrs. Do not sub to the myth that SG hot weather needs thick engine oil. Outside workshops will sell u all these thick engine oil becos.... that's all they have in stock. :D

Always use what the manufacturers recommend. Our freq start stop driving conditions and generally short driving distance means that we need the thinnest engine oil suitable for the engine. Your HRV has auto start stop, it makes the usage of 20 or even thinner oil more of a necessity than just recommendation.  

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

API SL or ACEA A3 is fine even if you car manual states API SN or ACEA A5.

You go to lesser developed countries where the latest specs engine oils are not available, the cars there just use any engine oils that are available. 

3 hours ago, Hyde333 said:

Good knowledge sharing!

So to say, buying an engine oil is not just as simple as 0w-40 / 0w-30 / 5w-30, etc..

So much of other details from the ACEA and API standard needs to be considered.

I can conclude that this 0W-3O from Mobil 1 is not suitable for Honda Earth Dream's engine.

Bro be careful with that seller.

Our local stocks are either from France or Jurong Island. . And it is fully updated to API SN+ as well

See below (Mobil 1 SG URL)

https://www.mobil.com/en/sap/our-products/products/mobil-1-0w-30

I have taken note of this.

His Mobil 1 0w-30 Gold is probably old stock.

I have opt from the same seller to buy the Mobil 1 Gold 0w-20, API SN+, Manufactured in France and packed in Singapore as follow:

80F33001-A485-47D0-921E-9EDB20BD9AE2.thumb.jpeg.66662469ebdb3d552fa3091a50129a62.jpeg

• Praise 1

(edited)

Engine oil tech has improved significantly for the past 5-7 yrs. Do not sub to the myth that SG hot weather needs thick engine oil. Outside workshops will sell u all these thick engine oil becos.... that's all they have in stock. :D

Always use what the manufacturers recommend. Our freq start stop driving conditions and generally short driving distance means that we need the thinnest engine oil suitable for the engine. Your HRV has auto start stop, it makes the usage of 20 or even thinner oil more of a necessity than just recommendation.  

Most traditional workshop only has w40 oil which is a big no-no for our engine. 😅

And yah, the myth of hot weather needs thick enging oil is laughable I must say. The weather cannot be as hot as the engine near boiling point. 🤣

I think the only concern is for cold start, and that's about it. It has no effect on us in anyway.

w20 is ideal for my vehicle, but w30 would be the max I should go for protection i guess?

Also, the manual stated to use 5w-30, but Kah Motor is using 0w-30, and recently changed to use 0w-20 from Shell's latest development.

Edited by Gohsj89
  • Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Hyde333 said:

I would definitely think so. It meets API SN plus and according to product sheet of Mobil 1 0w-20, the HTHS should be around 2.6.

For ACEA A5 as required by my vehicle, it's a min of 2.9 and a max of 3.5.

Will 2.6 be okay?

20 minutes ago, Gohsj89 said:

For ACEA A5 as required by my vehicle, it's a min of 2.9 and a max of 3.5.

Will 2.6 be okay?

If we follow strictly to specs, then the answer is obviously 'no' as ACEA A5/B5 is >=2.9 <=3.5 HTHS. This is especially so if yours is an European make as many oil out there has got another "European formula"  version of the same viscosity. However, if the other specs fulfill the manufacturer requirements as to TBN, Ash...then I would think HTHS 2.6 should not be much of a problem if you do not stretch the oil change interval to its maximum because viscosity degrades as mileage increases.

As for the case of Honda HRV, the manufacturer has permit usage of 0w-16 which usually has HTHS below 2.6.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Gohsj89 said:

Most traditional workshop only has w40 oil which is a big no-no for our engine. 😅

And yah, the myth of hot weather needs thick enging oil is laughable I must say. The weather cannot be as hot as the engine near boiling point. 🤣

I think the only concern is for cold start, and that's about it. It has no effect on us in anyway.

w20 is ideal for my vehicle, but w30 would be the max I should go for protection i guess?

Also, the manual stated to use 5w-30, but Kah Motor is using 0w-30, and recently changed to use 0w-20 from Shell's latest development.

I would strongly recommend you get this... Extremely value for money. This is the kind of prices full syn oil should cost... its the same price if u buy in Japan actually. 

https://www.lazada.sg/products/totachi-extra-fuel-economy-0w20-engine-oil-4l-i286370351-s459260763.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.7.30984000Ae8lzp&search=1

Totachi brand is from Hokkaido. The oil is made in Hokkaido 😍Their office is in Otaru... which I believe it needs no introduction for most Singaporeans 

Else u can consider Idemitsu SN/GF-5 0W20 as well.. the price is competitive also. Packed in SG

https://www.lazada.sg/products/idemitsu-sngf-5-0w20-fully-synthetic-i347958896-s799930993.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.bestshown_1.1.7ed544cejsVIdM&search=1

Edited by Cheefarn

Or when the causeway re opens u can go to JB to stock up this. But I doubt their prices will be competitive. 

Dont play play hor... Bolehland got great cutting edge products also.. haha :D Not even one drives a Proton or Perodua...

image.thumb.png.f71b0dacd02f55cc48e978c93aaf4620.png

↡ Advertisement