RickyWee

You drive with _____  

61 members have voted

1. 1. You drive with _____

• Shoes
    • Barefoot
    • Slippers hahahaha

On 4/17/2020 at 5:51 PM, Vinceng said:

Those who drive with footwear, you try to drive barefooted over a tankful of petrol, you will find that you get better fuel efficiency, because you can feel the pedal better, you don't step so hard on the accelerator.

Your foot skin will grow thicker calluses.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

44 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Your foot skin will grow thicker calluses.

I have it both heels quite thick, other areas of the feet not really.

Now got armoured heels. 

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, Phluvcat said:

I have it both heels quite thick, other areas of the feet not really.

Now got armoured heels. 

means if your wife tickle you on your feet, you no feeling le. hahaha 🤣

i remember i go reservist, drive wearing boot. damn uncomfortable coz cannot feel the pedal. usually i will wear shoes/slippers. never barefoot because i know how dirty my pedals are lol

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

means if your wife tickle you on your feet, you no feeling le. hahaha 🤣

Aiyah heel areas only, other parts of the feet still vulnerable. But I like to own self buah the calluses sometimes, itchy fingers. 

• Haha! 1

Those who want to try barefoot raw feeling but scared of pebble poke you or thick heels, can try wear socks and drive?

5 minutes ago, Aventa said:

Those who want to try barefoot raw feeling but scared of pebble poke you or thick heels, can try wear socks and drive?

Make sure socks no holes, can get caught by the threads on the peddles.  Speaking from real life experience 😔

• Shocked 2

Usually with shoe or running shoe with lace secured, it gives me added comfort and a sense of control while driving long distance, if short distance to ran errands or buy groceries or foods, a light weight sport shoe or strapped loafer is fine too.

A WET DAY must be shoe on as it slippery as I leave the car to retrieve or collect goods, I don't like to get my feet wet.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:18 PM, Beregond said:

U are lucky.

U get to enjoy the empty streets and highway to tone your driving😉

now never really go out of house. Only drove out like twice hahahaah

• Haha! 1

For the manual - definitely shoes. Thin-sole ones like Onitsuka Tigers or Sparco-Pumas are very comfortable. I find Vibram having the best feel. 

For the auto - minimum slippers. Don't like the feeling of bare sole against pedals. 

Those who wear footwear to drive should take note of floor mat and footwear fit. Ensure snug fit in both cases. Maggi mee type car mat will inherently be more inclined to trapping slip ons, more so when it's not flattened fully. Choosing a car with organ type pedals also helps in preventing potential jamming of footwear, in addition to proper seating adjustments. Personally I dont feel any difference between thinner sole footwear and barefoot; I think it's a matter of getting used. There is also a risk of infection if driving barefoot, especially with open wounds, not to mention it doesnt help to minimize foot injury if an accident should occur.

Edited by Fuelsaver
  • Praise 2

On 4/17/2020 at 7:48 PM, Turboflat4 said:

Driving tests are ridiculous. 

Recommended position? 10-2. Not 9-3 as most racing and skilled drivers recommend.

Method of steering? Shuffle. Not smooth hand over hand as recommended by professionals.

Method of shifting (if it's a manual car in the first place)? Granny shifting, not rev matching as is proper. 

The driving test is not a means to the end, but merely the means to a beginning. The beginning of a career, often lifelong, of becoming a better driver. 

What does all that have to do with the merits or lack thereof of driving bare? Not much, except that you brought up driving tests, which don't mean squat. 

Drive in whatever way you feel comfortable. Modern cars have such safe cabins that the old cautions about needing protective footwear are largely moot. If so concerned, get driving or racing shoes (as I use for serious drives at sustained high triple digit speeds). 

I was taught 9-3 was ok and steering can cross hand as long as revert to 9-3 asap. Rev matching probably is advanced driving technique.

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, Fuelsaver said:

I was taught 9-3 was ok and steering can cross hand as long as revert to 9-3 asap. Rev matching probably is advanced driving technique.

When was your test? If they've changed, that's good.

Drove bare foot once, all the way from Kuantan back to SG. Someone stole my sandals at the chalet!!! And my foot size, not easily to find shoes in MY or even SG. Pump fuel also bare foot.

For normal days, a shoe or sandal is a must. But I have a different feel for the floor mount or normal mount accelerator pedal. Took me quite some time to get used to floor mount accelerator pedal as my foot is a lot longer than the pedal so the ball of my foot is not at the correct position to "feel" the pedal. Need to adjust my heel backwards to reach the top of the floor mount pedal.

Also, I feel my car is most powerful when I drive in combat boots or safety boots. The car is damn powerful, rpm always shooting up at the 3-4,000 range.[grin]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

On 4/17/2020 at 6:29 PM, meobleminibus said:

And my feet always get cold easily. Not sure if it's a medical condition

Could be a medical condition. I remember a friend always complaining of her feet getting cold. She was diagnosed with diabetes.

Anyway, I prefer to drive barefoot as I could feel the pedals. I'm comfortable with it. 

On 4/20/2020 at 1:16 PM, Fuelsaver said:

Those who wear footwear to drive should take note of floor mat and footwear fit. Ensure snug fit in both cases. Maggi mee type car mat will inherently be more inclined to trapping slip ons, more so when it's not flattened fully. Choosing a car with organ type pedals also helps in preventing potential jamming of footwear, in addition to proper seating adjustments. Personally I dont feel any difference between thinner sole footwear and barefoot; I think it's a matter of getting used. There is also a risk of infection if driving barefoot, especially with open wounds, not to mention it doesnt help to minimize foot injury if an accident should occur.

Experienced the pedal being stuck between tip of the slipper and my toes, plus the heel of the slipper stuck on the maggie mee carpet. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1